Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High Temps for idle CPU

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bringit2142

bringit2142

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 AM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:25 PM

Hey everyone. I'm new to this website and signed up just for this purpose. I've looked at many other forums but can't seem to find anything that relates to my problem. So I recently just bought new computer parts, an MSI B350 MATE, 16gb ddr4 RAM, gtx 1050 ti video card and an AMD Ryzen 3 1300X. I put it together today, everything seemed to be going well. When i booted the computer up, everything seemed fine. But while I was in the BIOS, I saw that my cpu temp was really high, about 60 degrees Celsius. Then I saw another problem. My heat sink fan was on and running, but the computer didn't seem to be recognizing the fan. I tried everything, updating the bios, moving the ports to different slots, I even called MSI to see what they thought, but even the guy I was talking to was dumbfounded. Can anyone help me out? I need to know if this is a motherboard problem or a defective cooling fan.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:49 AM

60 degrees reported on BIOS is not problem unless monitoring software like Coretemp, Speedfan, or HWInfo tells same temperature.

Where you plugged fan?

#3 bringit2142

bringit2142
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:06 AM

I plugged my fan into the cpu fan 1 slot. It seems to be spinning very slowly when it is running.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,438 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 PM

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:10 AM

It doesn't need to spin very fast. Usually BIOS temps are much higher than temps on Windows as usually when using BIOS, less power saving options are in use. So install OS and check temps after that.

#5 bringit2142

bringit2142
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:26 AM

Ok ill let you know what happens when i get around to it late today. Also, isnt it weird that the BIOS isnt recognizing the fan in at all? Its only recognizing the case fan that i installed.

#6 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 925 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:53 AM

Quite possible you have a faulty fan, contact AMD for an RMA on that fan, I've had that happen one time before and back then AMD was very good about sending out a new fan

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:33 AM

Make sure it's connected to the CPU fan header, rather than the CPU water pump header.  Also you should be able to adjust the fan speed in BIOS in the hardware monitoring section.  In MSI BIOS I have seen recently the default is for pretty low fan speeds - 12.5% duty cycle at 40 degrees, 25% at 55 degrees, only ramping up to 100% duty at 80+.

Edited by jonuk76, 19 January 2018 - 08:33 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#8 bringit2142

bringit2142
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 08:44 AM

The problem is i have it in the cpu fan header and when i go into fan info, its showing that my cpu fan is spinning at 0 rpm. I cant control the speed at all. Im probably going to give AMD a call and if the new fan i get doesnt work then its probably a motherboard problem

Edited by bringit2142, 19 January 2018 - 09:48 AM.

#9 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:02 AM

Ryzens can stand more heat than other CPUs. Under 70 is acceptable.

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,092 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:59 AM

Max temp for that CPU is 95 Celsius.  60C is nothing to even think about.

Louis

#11 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 AM

Posted 21 January 2018 - 11:26 AM

Well to make sure its not the BIOS run a software I would at the very least install coretemp or HWinfo

I know my temps are higher than normal in my bios, 60 degrees in bios but in the lower 30's in my OS's both Windows and Linux respectively

Also remember it takes a bit for thermal paste to cure, if a brand new machine is a little warm run it for a day or so.

Edited by MadmanRB, 21 January 2018 - 11:27 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

ljxaqg-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users