Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD drive gone

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Justhereforhelp

Justhereforhelp

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:23 AM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:28 PM

Hi! I need some help.  :hello:  I don't know a whole lot about technical computer terms, so please bear with me and try to keep replies simple enough for me to understand  :P  Thank you!

So, a relative of mine was using my computer to try to install a program on it and use it while I wasn't using my computer, and I wasn't in the room, so I have no idea what happened. But when I got back on my computer, they told me that the program didn't install and that they gave up trying. It looks like what they were trying to install is "Pinnacle Instant DVD Recorder" for Windows XP, and I have a Windows 10 so that is some quite outdated software there. But anyways, now the CD drive does not work. I can't find it through "This PC", and the shortcut I had to the drive gives me an error saying that the drive the shortcut refers to us unavailable. The logo from the program they were trying to install is still showing up in the shortcut, even when I insert a totally different disc in for a different program, the logo doesn't change. It stays the Pinnacle Studio logo. 

I use my CD drive a lot, because I like PC gaming and have lots of games that are on discs. I'm not sure how to fix it. I tried restarting my computer, didn't work. How can I fix the drive if I can't even access it? 

Thank you in advance! 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:48 PM

Try going to Control Panel and opening Device Manager.

In Device Manager find CD/DVD Drive, and then hit the dropdown to open that entry, which will show your actual drive.  Select it, right click, choose "Uninstall Device"

At the top of Device Manager in the ribbon you will see an icon that looks like a computer monitor with a magnifying glass on it, which is the "Scan for hardware changes" button.  Click it, this will cause any plug n' play devices to be reinstalled, and the CD/DVD drive is one of those.

See how things are working now.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 Justhereforhelp

Justhereforhelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:13 PM

Try going to Control Panel and opening Device Manager.

In Device Manager find CD/DVD Drive, and then hit the dropdown to open that entry, which will show your actual drive.  Select it, right click, choose "Uninstall Device"

At the top of Device Manager in the ribbon you will see an icon that looks like a computer monitor with a magnifying glass on it, which is the "Scan for hardware changes" button.  Click it, this will cause any plug n' play devices to be reinstalled, and the CD/DVD drive is one of those.

See how things are working now.

Thank you for your advice, I tried it but unfortunately it still remains the same. I followed everything in your post, step by step, and it didn't work. I restarted my computer again thinking maybe I need to do that to apply the changes, but it still isn't working. Now that I can see the drive itself, I can see that it has an "  :exclame: " sort of icon next to it. I clicked on the drive and it says "Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the drivers required for this device. A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damaged, or that might be malicious software from an unknown source. (Code 52)". That doesn't sound good....

Edit: Ran troubleshooting too, it couldn't find the problem.

Edited by Justhereforhelp, 18 January 2018 - 08:21 PM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:29 PM

Go to the support page for your computer.  Look for the correct drivers for the device, which are certain to be there.

Go through the steps from before up through uninstalling the device.  Then run the installer for the correct drivers.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 Justhereforhelp

Justhereforhelp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:19 PM

Go to the support page for your computer.  Look for the correct drivers for the device, which are certain to be there.

Go through the steps from before up through uninstalling the device.  Then run the installer for the correct drivers.

Thank you, but I ended up doing a system restore. Conveniently, I had a restore point from just this morning, so it didn't affect anything and it appears to have fixed whatever went wrong. Thank you again for your help, I will definitely come back here if I have any more questions! 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users