Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extra addresses for my gmail account?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:47 PM

I have a personal gmail account, lets call it exampleJohnJones@gmail.com. But I need to get myself another address for a few specific purposes. I need to put an email address on a document which is going to be published (as in book) such that I can get correspondence from readers of it. Now given where this published document will end up the chance of spammers reading it is low, but I want to be safe against this just incase. So I want to get a semi-temporary address for putting on this document. I know that in gmail "." characters are ignored so if you have an email of exampleJohnJones@gmail.com then if anyone sends to example.John.Jones@gmail you'll get it too, and there is also a trick of using a "+" character so that you can have exampleJohnJones+anything@gmail.com and still get email. But neither trick is good to me, I would still be revealing my personal address to anyone who knew the trick. I don't want this. I want to have an email like JohnJDocument@gmail.com published on this work, so if I do get spam I can stop it reaching my personal address, and no-one can work out my actual personal address from reading it. I would want to get these emails relayed to my usual inbox, so I don't have to check another account too often, and I'd want a way to ensure any replies I sent to emails received at JohnJDocument@gmail.com appeared to have come from JohnJDocument@gmail.com and not from exampleJohnJones@gmail.com, and didn't have headers in them which revealed my actual personal address. Does anyone know how this is done, most of the search results I've found have just been about the . or + tricks. Can what I want be achieved without having to set up YET another google account (I've already got several and though they were all opened before 2014 I'm still not sure if google will be happy to let me make new accounts from my mobile number, they have a limit on the number one can make)? Thanks
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:06 PM

The simplest way to do what you wish to do is to open up a dedicated Google account with a new e-mail address.

You could forward all incoming messages from it to your primary account if you wish to read in that account.

For myself, I would not even do that.  Gmail has long supported the ability to be viewing multiple Gmail accounts in the same browser in separate tabs.  All you have to do to get that to work is to log in to whatever account you consider "primary," go to the account avatar at the upper right and click on it, then select "Add Account."  You'll be taken through the login process and that second account will come up in a new tab right beside your primary one, each acting entirely independently of the other.  It is a far simpler thing to keep separate e-mail separate so that there is no question about what will be shown when you reply, etc.

I've got 5 Gmail/Google accounts for different uses one of which is the "if I have to give an e-mail address and really don't want to give any address I check but once every six months" account.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 04:20 PM

Ok, thanks, I guess I will have to make another account then.

P.S. is there any way to make sure that when it forward to my main account the subject line gets changed to some custom text of mine like "Email to your publication account, do not reply directly"

Edited by rp88, 20 January 2018 - 04:20 PM.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,138 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 20 January 2018 - 05:30 PM

Here's what I do:

In the account to which you are forwarding the messages, in Settings:

1.  Create a label, such as "Publication Acct".   Label is Google's implementation of a mail folder, and their Inbox is actually a unified inbox that always includes all incoming mail no matter which label it sorts to.  You can assign a color to the label.  They're very easy to see.

2.  Create a filter.  Matches to:(the address you're forwarding from @ gmail.com), Apply label "Publication Acct" and never send to spam.

That's it.  All messages that show up on the "non-publication" account will now have a large label in front of the subject in the color you chose the label to have (which can be changed at any time, by the way).  When you are actually reading the message the label will appear to the right of the Subject, again in color.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,016 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 06:37 PM

Thanks for the tip.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users