Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Laptop Win10

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 caveanimal

caveanimal

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:48 PM

Hey all I could use some expert advice on what to remove from my new Lenovo laptop. There is a ton of things that I don't think I need. I would like a clean mean machine, if you know what I mean.  lol some advise would be great.

not sure where to post this, if wrong place please let me know.   Thanks.  and how do I make a list of programs for you to see not really sure.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,643 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:53 PM

One thing that's very easy to do, after having taken a full system image of your system as it came to you "out of the box," is Doing a Completely Clean Install of Windows 10.

The Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft does not include what is commonly referred to as bloatware that is larded on to many machines by their manufacturers.  It's about as "lean and mean" as you can ever get.  Then you can pick and choose what you wish to install on it.

By the way, Belarc Advisor, is a great tool for getting a lot of information about what's on your system, including a complete inventory of installed programs.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:06 PM

Manufacturers put all kinds of garbage on new machines.....

as was said.....download a windows 10 ISO....wipe the drive and re-install

make sure you install the same version of windows 10 or it will not activate

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:43 PM

I don't think so.  I've installed on machines that had much earlier versions of Windows 10 without issue.  The digital entitlement applies to every valid and supported version of Windows 10.

My current machines came with Version 1511 (why, I'll never know, they're no more than a year old from date of manufacture) and I went straight to 1709.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 caveanimal

caveanimal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 94 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:19 PM

Thanks Guys but I'm not really comfortable doing full formats and reinstalls anymore. Getting too old I guess.   lol

Thanks

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:28 PM

Thanks Guys but I'm not really comfortable doing full formats and reinstalls anymore. Getting too old I guess.   lol

Thanks

Take a look at the instructions before making your final decision.  Windows 10 is, by far, the easiest Windows install/reinstall in the history of Windows.  The hardest part is downloading the ISO file and burning it to bootable media.  If you're not comfortable doing that then make sure you have an 8GB jump drive and just let the Media Creation Tool create bootable media directly.

#7 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:35 AM

I don't think so.  I've installed on machines that had much earlier versions of Windows 10 without issue.  The digital entitlement applies to every valid and supported version of Windows 10.

My current machines came with Version 1511 (why, I'll never know, they're no more than a year old from date of manufacture) and I went straight to 1709.

by version i meant Home / Pro

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:10 AM

Mikey,

There is no such thing as Home/Pro as far as the ISO goes.  All of the components of Pro are actually present in the ISO, and for a Home installation the only difference is whether certain features are activated or not.  That's one of the reasons it's as easy to upgrade between editions as it is.

When the digital entitlement is checked for a given machine that is what will determine which edition of Win10 gets installed on the machine at reinstall time.  That is, of course, unless you've acquired a license for a different version and enter the key for same during the install.

#9 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:04 PM

Mikey,

There is no such thing as Home/Pro as far as the ISO goes.  All of the components of Pro are actually present in the ISO, and for a Home installation the only difference is whether certain features are activated or not.  That's one of the reasons it's as easy to upgrade between editions as it is.

When the digital entitlement is checked for a given machine that is what will determine which edition of Win10 gets installed on the machine at reinstall time.  That is, of course, unless you've acquired a license for a different version and enter the key for same during the install.

but when you start loading the install ISO it displays all of the versions and lets you choose which one to install (i just did this 2 days ago)......as an example.....if you choose to install the home version, on a computer that used to have the pro version, it will not activate, and same goes for the other way around

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,643 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:19 PM

Mikey,

Interesting.  I do not recall having seen this, but that doesn't mean I didn't, just that it's been too long.   In that context what you say makes perfect sense.

While some things are easier, way easier, about installing/reinstalling Win10 the way MS has changed how the ISOs are handled, at one time there were separate 32 and 64 bit ISOs and, I believe, even ISOs for the editions, up through the "Grand Unified ISO" it becomes difficult to remember what I'm recalling and from exactly when!

#11 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 01:35 PM

Mikey,

Interesting.  I do not recall having seen this, but that doesn't mean I didn't, just that it's been too long.   In that context what you say makes perfect sense.

While some things are easier, way easier, about installing/reinstalling Win10 the way MS has changed how the ISOs are handled, at one time there were separate 32 and 64 bit ISOs and, I believe, even ISOs for the editions, up through the "Grand Unified ISO" it becomes difficult to remember what I'm recalling and from exactly when!

yeah i wiped my drive a few days ago to reinstall windows 10,

i was a bit surprised when it came up with the selection screen, and it had me choose which version to install, it had about 10 different choices

- home

- pro

- home N

- pro N

- home KN

- pro KN

and a few others i can not remember now.....i just chose pro 10 cause that's what i had

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users