Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Backup which way to go?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 AM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:16 PM

I just bought a couple of SanDisk USB 3 drives, trying to decide which way to do a backup on two machines.

I have the Samsung transfer software that came with my SSD'S.

Could let windows do it when it asks

Or is there a more preferred method???

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,011 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:18 PM

Phil,

You have to be clear about what kind of backup it is you're taking.

For myself, I always want to have a full system image backup available, and I take it after every major update or when I install a lot of new software or when I know a whole bunch of user data files have been created since the last one (generally the first two reasons, mostly).  Microsoft has deprecated Win7 Backup & Restore and it wasn't the best backup solution anyway.  I have gone through a number of the available free ones, all of which have been discussed at length on this very forum, and have settled on EaseUS To Do Backup because of the ease of the user interface for both backup and recovery.  Full system images are just that and include all OS files as well as all of the user accounts on the machine and their data.

In addition to full system images one should really be backing up the user data on a machine as well.  I really like File History, which is built in to Windows 10 for doing this, but I cut down the retention time for files that change from "Forever" to "3 months" as I have never in my life needed a version of a file that was 3 months old, let alone older than that.  Having a user data backup on top of the system image backup makes it much easier if all you need to recover is user data.  Just remember that if there are multiple users on the system each should set up File History on their own accounts.  

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:30 PM

I used the data migration software to clone my HD to the new SSD using the Samsung disk that came with the SSD.  It did a full transfer was hoping to use to do a full image to the 129g drive I picked up today.

Phil

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,011 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:36 PM

Phil,

You're mixing apples and oranges here.

Although one can certainly use a cloned disc as a backup, that's not what I think of when someone asks about doing backups.

Disk cloning and typical taking of system image and/or user data backups are not connected, and don't use the same software (generally - I believe EaseUS has a disc copy/clone function and Macrium may, too, but I've generally used dedicated cloning software in the past).  I like MiniTool Partition Wizard for cloning, whether from smaller drive to larger drive or vice versa, and doing the desired partitioning changes as part of the process.

Edited by britechguy, 18 January 2018 - 04:37 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 06:23 PM

I guess I should have said it differently, I was looking to see if the Samsung disk will in fact transfer the full contents to the USB stick.  I have been doing it with the extra hard drives, but the USB 3 stick will be a ton faster.  If for some reason the SSD has an issue I want to be able to format then reload from the stick.  Just not sure the Samsung software has any feature that would not allow to be used in reverse.  Sorry  for my added confusion have been sick for a few days, brain is a bit foggy!

Phil

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:25 PM

Personally I would avoid doing image backups to USB flash drives. I would go with USB external HDDs.

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:47 PM

I have both external and the sticks, but the speed of the usb 3 is what I am looking for.  I like many hate watching the grass grow!

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,011 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:50 PM

Then I'd strongly suggest you get yourself a USB 3.0 external HDD.  They've been available for years and ones with huge capacity are available for under $100.

#9 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:18 PM

I have a Rosewill external USB3 enclosure and about 5 slow spinners, two of which are the ones that were cloned to the SSD's in two of my machines.  So basically I have full but dated stuff, now I want clone them more rapidly.  The sticks I think will be faster then anything else I have, besides the deal I got a BJ's $29.95 when last week were $69.95. 

#10 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:12 AM

I think you will be ok for doing data folders and files onto both of your flash sticks, one after the other.  I've been sneaker-netting folders and files via flash sticks for some time now amongst my stay-at-home laptop and my take-with-me laptop.  And, yes, I have two flash sticks because once in a while one of the two sticks goes "logically bad" forcing a format.

However, using those sticks does not do away with the earlier suggestions for using a usb external hard-drive for true-blue full images of your OS and Data partitions.

Edited by RolandJS, 19 January 2018 - 10:13 AM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#11 zzz00m

zzz00m

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:15 PM

I have found a very cost effective way to do regular image backups is to use an external USB 3.0 drive such as the WD Elements at < $100.   If concerned about a backup drive failure, buy 2 and rotate them (I did).

The WD Elements is a slow 2.5" laptop spinner, bus powered, but I can Image my system drive (250GB SSD, 70% in use) in under 30 mins over the USB 3.0 port.

I have Macrium Reflect Free scheduled to do daily image backups, so I can always restore my system back to any of the past few days.  I also keep weekly and monthly images as well for archive purposes, just in case...

#12 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 07:54 PM

Thanks gents!

My initial idea was to use the one stick for a lap top and one for my tower, renewing the back up every 4-6 weeks.  As I mentioned I do have an enclosure and now a wiped 320 gig WD drive that I would like to split into equal partitions (will ask for help) then use one partition for each machine.  I may use the stick for a full transfer not a backup I will think about that later.

I have not backed much of anything in years, I have copied tons of files photos etc.  So now I have to learn all over again.  When you have a dedicated back up drive and do scheduled backups does the new over write the  old?  Or do you go through the entire process again?

Phil

#13 zzz00m

zzz00m

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 09:20 PM

When you have a dedicated back up drive and do scheduled backups does the new over write the  old?  Or do you go through the entire process again?

Phil

My image backup drives are 1TB each.  The image files are exact images of my entire drive, not just files and folders, and currently average 125GB each. 

In a program like Macrium Reflect, when you define a backup job and select the target folder on the backup drive, you can select how many versions to retain before it deletes the oldest one.  So it does not automatically overwrite the last one unless you are low on space, or have the max versions set to 1.

Another convenience of the image file is that you can mount it as a virtual hard disk, which allows you to browse the entire file and folder structure in Windows explorer, with drag and drop copy to any other folder on your system.  So if you do daily image backups, it makes file and folder backups rather obsolete.  Plus it ensures that you get everything backed up. 

And worse case if your hard drive fails, or your system won't boot one day, you can boot from the rescue media and restore your latest image, and be back up and running in minutes.  Beats re-installing Windows, applications, and recovering your documents from backup media.  That can sometimes take days.

Edited by zzz00m, 29 January 2018 - 09:22 PM.

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,157 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2018 - 11:11 AM

This is the way I went!

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/669158/restore-to-new-win-7-reload/#entry4436854

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users