Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

defragsvc running when it shouldn't?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RayKremer

RayKremer

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:16 PM

Hello!

My office is running Win 7 PCs on a peer to peer network, with one of them operating as the file server for all our documents, Quickbooks, etc.

Every now and then it goes through a period of maybe a week or so where file access continually gets really slow all of a sudden, several times a day. If I go over to the server and wake it up back to the desktop, things go back to normal. Usually what I see in Resource Monitor at this point is that svchost was running defragsvc and making a lot of hard drive activity, but shuts that down when I start touching things.

Here's the part I don't get. I have the defrag for the hard drive set to run on Friday nights so it has all weekend if it needs it. It also says all drives are 0% fragmented. So why the dickens is it running defragsvc in the middle of the week and so hard that it's slowing everything down for file access over the LAN? Any ideas here? It's driving us batty.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 badtoad

badtoad

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:04 PM

When a certain level of fragmentation occurs it will run,but it should terminate when you are using your computer.Does it only happen when your system is idle?You could untick the run on a schedule box and do it manually if it bugs you.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,902 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:31 PM

Worth A Look.

And Another...

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 January 2018 - 01:39 PM.

#4 RayKremer

RayKremer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 04:05 PM

Alright. I looked at those articles and some other stuff. Main takeaway is the defrag window isn't the place to be, the task scheduler is what actually controls this. I went there and fiddled with some stuff, though it was already set to "Stop the task if it runs longer than: 3 days" so I cannot fathom why it's been running all week. It does say right in there to run it only when the computer is idle, and resume when it's idle again.

The main problem is it's technically idle because nobody is doing anything with the mouse and keyboard there, but we are using a whole bunch of files on that drive from over the LAN so it's not really what I would consider idle.

I have absolutely no problem with the defrag running, as long as it's not during business hours.

I did hit the "End" button in task schedulers to kill the current run and things have been fine since, but as I said this has been a recurring sporadic issue, so it's going to start up again sooner or later.

#5 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,224 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:21 AM

In the XP days (and probably the Win X days) if any process uses more than 10% of the CPU even for a fraction of a second that restarts the time for Windows to wait for an idle window of opportunity. 

Idle does not mean not using the keyboard and mouse.

The is why some systems would never sleep or do other things when they were thought to be idle - background processes Skype, AIM, MagicJack, etc. wake up periodically and look for things to do.

Here is a list from those days:

Indexing Service, Skype, iTunes, MagicJack, SnugTV, RSS feeds, any kind of Instant Messenger,  any kind of malware scanners doing scans or doing automatic updates at certain intervals like MSE, AVG, Avast, Norton, McAfee, Bit Defender, Java Quick Starter (JQS) - not just keyboard and mouse.

Anything that can cause a blip of 10% CPU in Task Manager will restart Windows waiting for the system to become idle again.

I have four 1TB volumes and my defrag is scheduled to run on all volumes (defrag  -c) Wednesday at 1AM (or as soon as it can after that) - that is the default.

The lat time it ran it took about 7 minutes to finish and I have zero startup items to interfere so it ran when I was away from the desk.

You might be able to get a line on the issue by running the task yourself manually while you have Task Manager open so you can keep an eye on things.

If that system has some startup items you can use something like msconfig to disable all of them or one at a time using a process of elimination to figure out the culprit.

Begin with absolutely no startup items and run the task manually (While watching Task Manager) - how long does it take?

Edited by joseibarra, 20 January 2018 - 09:45 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#6 RayKremer

RayKremer
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:24 PM

Idle does not mean not using the keyboard and mouse.

Ah! I mean I wouldn't have thought so necessarily, but the defrag was definitely running while folks on the LAN were accessing (or trying to) files on that drive, and it would stop as soon as I walked over there and pulled it out of screen saver.

I did set scheduler to not wait for idle to run the defrag, hoping that if that forced it to run starting Friday night like it's supposed to, it would be finished sometime before Monday morning. It looks like that went to plan this past weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users