Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

popup blocker

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 gringo9h

gringo9h

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:58 AM

What are the pros and cons of using popup blocker?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,870 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:12 PM

Pros....no ads.....Cons...see ads, slower page loading and risk infection

Ad Blocker is more appropriate designation than popup blocker. Ad blocking covers all types of ads.

Do you have one? If not...give AdBlock Plus a spin in your browsers.

Adblock Plus :: Add-ons for Firefox

Adblock Plus - Chrome Web Store

Adblock Plus for IE

Adblock Plus for Edge browser

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 gringo9h

gringo9h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:00 PM

Thanks Buddy for the links. I couldn't find anything for w10 and edge to my liking, but I did find one for IE. I still use the old browser quite a bit. Downloaded and installed. I'll use it for a few days and give a report back here. Shortly after installing, a notification appeared bottom right of desktop advising of an update available. Followed through and updated. BTW, This is ABP.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,870 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:16 PM

I only use Firefox in Linux. Click on the ABP icon and choose Options. In my ABP I have several options to choose from.

I don't know what you will see as Options in IE or Edge. Under the General Tab...UNcheck Allow acceptable ads. You may

see something different in options relating to acceptable ads.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 PM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:33 PM

Pop-up blockers are included in most browsers, but don't usually block all pop-ups, especially not those which are triggered by clicking a link. An ad-blocker will help block advertising better and will block a good fraction of pop-up ads as well as in page adverts. A script blocker like NoScript (only for firefox, no IE or chrome version) will make pop-ups impossible and, as a side-effect of keeping you secure from malvertising and drive-by browser vulnerability targeting infections by blocking any scripts on a page that you don't explicitly choose to allow, will generally block ads too. NoScript takes some getting used to, but I and many others swear by it. There is no downside to any of these methods really, in the event that there is a pop-up which is of use (some sites use pop-up windows for certain functionalities) you can always choose to allow it that once, most of the time a browser's pop-up blocker will say when a pop-up wants to appear but is being blocked and will let you choose what to do, ad and script blockers also report what they are blocking and let you unblock individual things as necessary.

As a general tip you should probably give up on using IE as your browser, it tends to be slow and because it is so deeply integrated into windows tends to have many more dangerous security vulnerabilities than firefox or chrome.

Edited by rp88, 18 January 2018 - 05:34 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:10 PM

I also have become a convert to uBlock Origin as my ad blocker plus several other very useful security functions.  I dropped Ghostery, not because I didn't like it, but because uBlock Origin has features that obviated the need for it.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#7 gringo9h

gringo9h
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:41 AM

As posted earlier, I did install Add Blocker Plus to be used with Internet Explorer. Works fine. No problems.

#8 TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 PM

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:05 AM

Poper Blocker is usefull in blocking coinminers, since they mostly run as popups/hidden overlays.

Edited by TairikuOkami, 09 February 2018 - 07:49 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users