Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

no wifi on wife's studio xps

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 vacuum tube

vacuum tube

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:24 AM

she has other devices that do work with our wifi but her lap top quit working on wifi. If i plug in to the router we get on line,i have re-set the router and called optonline they said everything on their end is okay. I am typing from my desk top and the lap top is next to it so distance is not an issue,there is an icon [radio tower ?] that i push and on the tool bar you can see the "x" go away on the on the screen icon like it is trying to connect  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mike_shupp

mike_shupp

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 PM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:58 PM

I dunno know, I need more information before I can even guess.  Electronics stuff does crap out, after all, after enough time and use, and any PC old enough to be running Vista probably has seen its share of those.

What's the Device Manager  telling you?  (Control Panel => Hardware and Sound => Devices and Printers).   Look at  "Network adapters", check their properties.  Is everything reporting "This device is working properly"?  Or are seeing messages about problems?   Do you have a utility like Driver Booster  that reports on your system's status?  What does it say?  (I'm not suggesting you use that program to change anything, mind you, I just want to know if there are any messages/)

#3 vacuum tube

vacuum tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 09:11 AM

thank you i will look into this 

#4 vacuum tube

vacuum tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 01:10 PM

"this device is working properly " is the message and it says it is up to date 

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,219 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 24 January 2018 - 05:56 PM

Internal wifi systems on laptops have been known to fail. Try an extenal USB wifi dongle, this is an example of what I am referring to -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-TL-WN725N-Mbps-Wireless-N-Adapter/dp/B008IFXQFU/ref=sr_1_6?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1516834511&sr=1-6&keywords=usb+wifi+dongle

This is purely an example. There is a wide range of makes, specifications and prices.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 24 January 2018 - 05:58 PM.

#6 vacuum tube

vacuum tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2018 - 10:35 AM

thank you....i will check this out

#7 mike_shupp

mike_shupp

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 03:51 PM

Hmmm... if the wifi adaptor worked in the past, and Windows Device Manager thinks it's okay and you can get an internet connection through a cable to your router ....  hmmmm ....

Location might be an issue.  I've got a similar problem with my desktop PC.  I put a TP-Link wireless adaptor in a few years back so I wouldn't have to trip over cables running across an apartment, and it worked beautifully till I moved, and after that it worked only now and then.  My fault in part, putting the box at the bottom of some metal shelves wasn't the most clever placement, even if did make sense space-wise.  However!  I bought a 30-ft cable from Amazon for ten bucks or so, plugged that into my PC and the router, and things have worked reasonably well since.  In fact, I sometimes notice that both the wifi and the LAN connection are functioning simultaneously. 

So anyhow, before spending money, try using the laptop in different locations and see if that makes any difference.  Try it in different rooms, in different places in the same room, maybe off at Starbucks.

Another thing to try is reinstall your WiFi from scratch.  Actually this isn't aimed at your device so much as getting the driver software and all the various settings correct.  It's awful easy to confuse WPA with WPA2 when selecting security types, to restart a bollixed-up system with a wrong authorization code, etc.  So if you've got the info necessary to reinstall the thing lying around, give this a try.  It's cheap after all!

If both these ideas fail ... well, there's worse things than a landline to your router.  Think how much better things are than with a 1440-baud modem where you have to pull your telephone jack to make a connection.  Remember those days?  We managed to be happy then!

#8 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 04:46 PM

In control panel - device manager - locate the device under the network adapter section. Remove the device. Then under the Acton menu select "scan for hardware changes." Let it locate and re-detect the device.

Try it after doing that and see if it works.

If it still does not, purchase and try the TP-Link TL-WN725N USB wifi adapter that Chris Cosgrove pointed out. They are cheap. Onboard wifi adapters will fail.

Edited by Eyesee, 01 February 2018 - 04:49 PM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#9 vacuum tube

vacuum tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:31 PM

Hmmm... if the wifi adaptor worked in the past, and Windows Device Manager thinks it's okay and you can get an internet connection through a cable to your router ....  hmmmm ....

Location might be an issue.  I've got a similar problem with my desktop PC.  I put a TP-Link wireless adaptor in a few years back so I wouldn't have to trip over cables running across an apartment, and it worked beautifully till I moved, and after that it worked only now and then.  My fault in part, putting the box at the bottom of some metal shelves wasn't the most clever placement, even if did make sense space-wise.  However!  I bought a 30-ft cable from Amazon for ten bucks or so, plugged that into my PC and the router, and things have worked reasonably well since.  In fact, I sometimes notice that both the wifi and the LAN connection are functioning simultaneously. 

So anyhow, before spending money, try using the laptop in different locations and see if that makes any difference.  Try it in different rooms, in different places in the same room, maybe off at Starbucks.

Another thing to try is reinstall your WiFi from scratch.  Actually this isn't aimed at your device so much as getting the driver software and all the various settings correct.  It's awful easy to confuse WPA with WPA2 when selecting security types, to restart a bollixed-up system with a wrong authorization code, etc.  So if you've got the info necessary to reinstall the thing lying around, give this a try.  It's cheap after all!

If both these ideas fail ... well, there's worse things than a landline to your router.  Think how much better things are than with a 1440-baud modem where you have to pull your telephone jack to make a connection.  Remember those days?  We managed to be happy then!

thank you for the get back.....i tried location issue.....it used to work rooms away from the router then it stopped so i tried it 2 feet away from the router but no joy. The re-install is beyond me .....i will pass it along to the wife 

#10 vacuum tube

vacuum tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 05:34 PM

In control panel - device manager - locate the device under the network adapter section. Remove the device. Then under the Acton menu select "scan for hardware changes." Let it locate and re-detect the device.

Try it after doing that and see if it works.

If it still does not, purchase and try the TP-Link TL-WN725N USB wifi adapter that Chris Cosgrove pointed out. They are cheap. Onboard wifi adapters will fail.

remove the device is wwwwaaaayyyy beyond my pay scale .............i will give the wifi adapter # to the wife .....thank you 

#11 mike_shupp

mike_shupp

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:49 PM

Ah, it's on your pay scale.  You do NOT have to physically remove the internet card from your PC.  Fire up your PC, go to the Control Panel, click on Hardware and Sound.  In the next menu, click on Device Manager, then click on Network Adaptors.  Right click on your card, and select Disable.   Then, as Eyesee suggested, select "Scan for hardware changes" and see if the PC recognizes your card again.

It you're feeling ambitious and have the software with the device driver in your hot little hand -- and I really do mean that you should have the disk with that software either right in your hand or sbout 6 inches from your nose or something equivalent -- I make ISOS for backup and keep two copies on my hard drives -- you can slect Uninstall and really let Windows be ignorant about your hardware . Again, you don't have to pull the card from your machine, but you likely will have to reinstall the software from scratch -- which means selecting your network, giving the router the authorization code again, and the rest of that stuff.  Might be worth doing, which is why I suggested it before.

Keep us informed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users