Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I install a cctv camera on a window?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tomtiha

tomtiha

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 AM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:20 AM

I know this is a bit weird. We had our cctv camera installed outside but it fell off recently due to squirrel running over it. Is there a way to put the camera on the window glass from inside. The camera is not PIR and hence will not have much issues recording through the glass. I currently have this exact same bay and bow windows installed . Can someone recommend me a solution to have to the camera fixed on the window? 

Edited by tomtiha, 18 January 2018 - 04:21 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:51 PM

tomtiha, what are the mounting options for the camera?  I will tell you that if you expect the camera to record in the dark you're not going to see anything as the camera infrared lights will reflect off the window (voice of experience).  I'd remount it on the exterior if at all possible.

Edited by Kilroy, 18 January 2018 - 01:51 PM.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 PM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:27 PM

tomtiha, what are the mounting options for the camera?  I will tell you that if you expect the camera to record in the dark you're not going to see anything as the camera infrared lights will reflect off the window (voice of experience).  I'd remount it on the exterior if at all possible.

not true,  if it was true you won't be able to mount a camera in a dome cover either but if you notice the lens's in a dome are flush against the plastic/glass dome so if you have the camera lens flush against the windows you won't get reflection back into the lens,

Sorry I deal with cctv installs & maint on a daily basis.  matter of fact just mounted 3 new cameras this morning.  lol

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:39 PM

mightywiz does that also apply to double pane windows?  I think even if you put it on the glass of the indoor pane you'd still get the reflection from the outdoor pane.

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:58 PM

mightywiz does that also apply to double pane windows?  I think even if you put it on the glass of the indoor pane you'd still get the reflection from the outdoor pane.

double pain will present a problem.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,378 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 02:56 PM

Just wanting to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong.  Here in Minnesota if you don't have double pane windows you can almost watch your heat exit.

#7 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:02 PM

all you can do is try it,  just hold it against the glass without mounting it and see if you have an issue or not.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users