Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How About Those Users That Can NOT Get Patches For Meltdown & Spectre?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 ToyotaMan2012

ToyotaMan2012

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:47 AM

Hello. Nice to meet you!

I have a serious dilemma! We all have heard about the two critical vulnerabilities were discovered in modern processors named “Meltdown” and “Spectre,” these processor chip vulnerabilities are found on personal computers, mobile devices, and in the cloud.

Now, my Lenovo ThinkPad T510 laptop PC that to this day runs great therefore I have no issues with it. I have no plans on upgrading to a new laptop. I have Windows 7 Pro SP1 installed and I was even figuring soon on upgrading my operating system to Windows 10 Pro ON THIS VERY PC!!!

So after hearing these two (2) critical vulnerabilities I checked with both Lenovo and Intel to see if there was a patch to update to secure my PC from these two (2) threats. I discovered NOT. Intel defers me to Lenovo as they are the maker and control the updates and such. I just discovered my PC was just outside the mainstream/extended support updates late this past year and now deemed EOL (End of Life).  

So without these important patches for my PC, I am now vulnerable with this PC! What can I do in order to assure malicious hackers using these two (2) design flaws do not compromise my PC without the patch fix(es)??? A good explanation is needed, please!

All I read online is “determine one’s vulnerabilities with running various tools” (I have done and found I am vulnerable.) and “how to patch instructions” one’s PC when I Google search for those with computers who can be affected by hackers for these two (2) threats,  BUT EXCLUDES resources online for MANY of those computer users who will NOT be able to acquire patch(es) -- what to do???????????????????? (There has to be out of the box geek thinkers out there when it comes to this BIG issue!!!)

Also -- Any other third party software programs (free/paid) that would protect me to the SAME (or BETTER) degree of protection and reliability as the missing patch(es) or not???

Please reply.

Thanks!!!

Edited by hamluis, 18 January 2018 - 07:32 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,316 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:44 PM

If there are no patches there are no patches.  There is nothing to do in regard to either your OS if OS patches don't exist or BIOS/UEFI if those patches don't exist.

As to threat, one must always be aware that most hackers, except for those out to wreak havoc for "bragging rights" (and they're the minority), are targeting entities where either money can be extracted (ransomware) or some sort of major disruption can be had that the hacker desires.

Most individuals in this world are *extremely* unlikely to be the target of hacking in general.  There has to be some gain for the hacker and your PC or mine is generally not considered a payoff rich environment.

It is remotely possible that any one of us might be subject to attack due to these vulnerabilities.  It is not at all probable that any one of us will be if we're talking about our home PCs for personal use.

Edited by britechguy, 18 January 2018 - 04:45 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users