Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Graphics Suck - GeForce Mx

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 tmahon

tmahon

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 15 December 2004 - 10:32 AM

:woot: We couldn't play games anymore because they would freeze so we bought a GeForce graphics card, supposedly a lot better than the one we had. BUT the display is much worse then ever, which means that it probably wasn't the graphics card. What happens now, we "still" can't play any games, computer graphics always freeze up, or display shows blotches of vertical or horizontal color and then freezes up. OR when re-booted WHAT will come up is a temporary tiny light in the middle of the screen and then the screen will go dark. We're "trying" to make this :inlove: computer last until we can get another one. ANYONE have any idea on what's wrong with the computer or have similiar problems and how did you fix them?

System is Windows 98 SE (build 4.10.2222), 750 megahertz AMD Duron, 40.01 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity 29.29 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space, Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. REV 1.xx, Bus Clock: 100 megahertz , BIOS: Award Software, Inc. ASUS A7V ACPI BIOS, 512 Megabytes Installed Memory, and NVIDIA GeForce4 MX 4000 [Display adapter].
It's not like we have a ton of games that we're trying to play. We're really missing being able to play the "one" game that we like most, Ricochet Extreme. We just spent $200 on taking it to a "computer place", which I'll call (not the real name of course) Morons Plus Technologies, and it appears that they didn't know what the heck they were doing. They said the among the problems was that I had Norton Professional Works 2003 installed and Registry Mechanic, which they said Registry Mechanic was changing the registry, so they're both uninstalled now. They supposedly "fixed" :cool: it, but they're not touchin' it again. We're definitely no computer whizes either, but would very much appreciate help if anyone has a clue on what to try or what's wrong with freakin computer. :trumpet: :thumbsup: :flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2004 - 11:30 AM

I am no hardware expert, but I know that many video problems with new cards can be fixed by making sure you have downloaded the latest drivers supplied by the vendor.
You might try that.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 tmahon

tmahon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2004 - 12:17 PM

:cool: Thank-you John. I already have downloaded the latest drivers from NVIDIA Home, as I also thought that might be the problem. I know from the posts here that I'm not the only one having problems with GeForce, but our computer problems existed before GeForce, we just thought GeForce would fix it. We were actually thinking the computer should kick butt with the new graphics card, but obviously there's other problems. :trumpet:

:inlove: :flowers: By the way, I see you are a Mozilla Firefox fan. I got sooo tired of Internet Explorer problems:rip: that earlier today I downloaded the Mozilla Firefox browser. I consider it an early Christmas present for us. I'm lovin' the new browser so far! :thumbsup:

Part of the "fix" from the computer place that we took the puter to was a new hard drive, which we now have, but $200 later and 3 times there for them to fix it, and 3 strikes and they're "out". What should I try next? This computer is 5 years old, but I believe it still has a lot of life left in it.

Again, thanks for your help, it's much appreciated! Any other ideas on what to try?

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 15 December 2004 - 03:03 PM

Was the old graphics card an integrated card, and if so, was it disabled in the BIOS.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 tmahon

tmahon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 December 2004 - 03:38 PM

" Was the old graphics card an integrated card, and if so, was it disabled in the BIOS."

Thanks for trying to help, please explain what you just said in a non computer tech language. We have "old drive" listed in our computer, Integrated card, bios, please explain as clearly as you know how to a non-tech person, so I can understand what you're asking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users