Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Migrating old work windows 7 PC network name to new(ish) desktop

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 AsianfoodFTW

AsianfoodFTW

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:33 PM

Hey all, first-time poster here.

So I have an old PC running a dreadful all-in-one PC with a Pentium sandy bridge, and my goal is to move it to a much better PC sitting in the dust, a desktop with a Phenom X6.

This is one of my biggest problem/ issues when I do anything with this PC:

The old PC (the AIO) currently is used as a server and point-of-sale for a Microsoft Access based sales system. It shares this server with another PC with window's built-in network share feature. It must retain its original network name (HP-02) or else nothing can access the server.

Here's my current solution:

1. Backing up the SSD of the AIO to another spare drive by using Macrium Reflect to create an image of the disk in case all goes wrong

2. Run SYSPREP and hope I can find all the drivers to the scanners

(2b). If it is better to not run Sysprep, I will skip this.

3. Take the SSD out and pop it in the desktop, install drivers if necessary

How can I ensure the network name for the AIO pc be carried over to the new PC? And is this the best way to carry this out.

Thank you all in advance

Edited by hamluis, 09 February 2018 - 08:57 AM.
Moved from System Building to Disk Management - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,335 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:44 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer.

It sounds like you want to move the drive from the AIO to the Phenom Desktop.

DO NOT run SYSPREP if you want to keep the computer name.

The odds of this going well are not good.  Is there any way to move the POS install to the desktop and just rename the desktop?  The would be my preferred method.  That way all you would have to do to get back up and running is turn off the desktop and turn on the AIO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users