Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC "Randomly" Restarts

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 LockM

LockM

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:19 PM

Hello bleepingcomputer forum!

I've been plagued by an issue where my PC restarts without showing a blue screen. It happens consistently when the GPU is "stressed". I put stressed in quotation marks as it doesnt take much really, watching Furmark it happened around the 60 Degree Celcius. I suspect it's the PSU but i can't be sure honestly. My PC restarted 3 times while trying to even create this post.

I havent had a restart of my PC when the GPU wasn't connected. A PC wouldn't completely restart if something was faulty with the GPU however.

A few of the things i've tried to do:
- Reinstalled the OS
- Inspected the capacitors on the motherboard
- cleaned of the old thermalpaste and applied new one
- Started PC as barebones as possible and worked my way up
- Opened and inspected PSU, couldnt find anything that might seem broken(unsure what to look for though)
- Compared the voltages of the individual pins on the 24pin connector to the pinout table in the manual, they all seemed to be the same.
- Ran memtest86 and no errors where found
- Used monitor programs to watch the CPU and GPU temperatures and they are all easily within safe parameters.

As you can see i didn't do the most obvious test which was simply trying out another PSU, unfortunately i don't have another one lying around and neither do i know anyone with a desktop pc from whom to borrow theirs. I was going to go to a repairshop but i first wanted to try out everything possible myself...and with some help from you guys ofcourse!

SPECCY SNAPSHOT

I also included the zipped SysnativeFilCollectionApp folder.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files

Edited by LockM, 17 January 2018 - 10:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Malware Study Hall Junior
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:39 PM

The Sysnative File isn't there. The Speccy shows that your SSD might be failing. I'd suggest downloading the Crucial tester. Also the voltage to your GPU showed to be .0001 V. Try downloading CPUZ and see what it shows for voltages.

#3 LockM

LockM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:17 AM

The Sysnative File isn't there. The Speccy shows that your SSD might be failing. I'd suggest downloading the Crucial tester. Also the voltage to your GPU showed to be .0001 V. Try downloading CPUZ and see what it shows for voltages.

I've added the Sysnative file, i didn't confirm the upload with pressing "attach", my bad.

I assume you meant GPUZ and not CPUZ? Regardless i ran it during idle and the current voltage was 12V(?). I included a link to a screenshot.
GPUZ Voltage

I performed the long scan which took around 1.5 hours and when it was about to finish the PC restarted. Got a look before it happened and it was all green. The image below was of the quick scan:
HDTune Scan SSD

I understand it isn't wierd for an SSD to pass these tests eventhough they may be faulty?

Thanks for the response!

Edited by LockM, 18 January 2018 - 02:42 AM.

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• 773 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:51 AM

The Sysnative file still isn't there. This is the test to get the most accurate report. It's made by Crucial. http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-storage-executive. It also isn't wierd for a healthy drive to be suspect on Speccy. The SSD in my old computer showed as "Unknown" in Speccy for years.

#5 LockM

LockM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:59 AM

The Sysnative file still isn't there. This is the test to get the most accurate report. It's made by Crucial. http://www.crucial.com/usa/en/support-storage-executive. It also isn't wierd for a healthy drive to be suspect on Speccy. The SSD in my old computer showed as "Unknown" in Speccy for years.

Crucial Support Storage Executive Screenshot

Any other specific information you require?

I can see that the sysnative file is attached to the original post however.
I'll attach the same file to this post too.

Attached Files

Edited by LockM, 18 January 2018 - 12:00 PM.

#6 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• 773 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:53 PM

I see it now but didn't then. With no BSODs there were no dmp files. When you ran Memtest did you run it one stick at a time for 8 passes? The temps look good, do you have a PSU to test with or access to one?

#7 LockM

LockM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:34 PM

I see it now but didn't then. With no BSODs there were no dmp files. When you ran Memtest did you run it one stick at a time for 8 passes? The temps look good, do you have a PSU to test with or access to one?

I ran it with both ram sticks at the same time, the full test took around 2 hours to complete, a completed test constitutes as 1 pass?

Memtest86+ Screenshot 1

Memtest86+ Screenshot 2 Unfortunately this one is a bit blurry

As for the PSU, which i mentioned in the OP, i unfortunately don't have access to one, if i had it would've spared me a ton of heachache.

Edited by LockM, 18 January 2018 - 01:46 PM.

#8 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• 773 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:03 PM

You need to run it with one stick at a time but with no BSODs I doubt it is RAM. Try running CHKDSK /R from the command prompt as Administrator, to clear errors on the HD when done run SFC /SCANNOW to ensure Windows files are good

#9 LockM

LockM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:58 PM

You need to run it with one stick at a time but with no BSODs I doubt it is RAM. Try running CHKDSK /R from the command prompt as Administrator, to clear errors on the HD when done run SFC /SCANNOW to ensure Windows files are good

I've ran CHKDSK /R on both my HDD and SSD individually, i've also ran SFC / SCANNOW and Windows Resource Protection didn't find any integrity violations.

Still want me to run memtest86 on both sticks individually?

Edited by LockM, 18 January 2018 - 04:58 PM.

#10 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• 773 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:27 PM

Yes, if that comes back clean then it has to be the PSU.

#11 LockM

LockM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:11 PM

Yes, if that comes back clean then it has to be the PSU.

I've done the memtest over the weekend with one stick at a time and left the PC on for a night, as suspected it came back clean.
I've opened up the PSU again and tried to look if something was off, there is a small copper plate(?) that is sandwiched between 2 plastic pieces and it's placed directly next to the socket(?).
One of the two plastic pieces at one point wasn't completely flush with the rest so i tried to move it a bit to the side and i saw a subtle but black mark. That was is probably the cause for the loss in power...but it also might be completely normal and then i have no clue why it is broken.

I bought a new PSU and ran it for the last day and a half and i haven't had any reboots at all, not while running Furmark, games or any programs which required the GPU.
Thanks a lot for the help trying to troubleshoot this issue, it made buying a new PSU feel less like a gamble.

Cheers.

Edited by LockM, 22 January 2018 - 04:19 PM.

#12 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• 773 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:14 PM

Happy to help. :guitar:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users