Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble Locking Down Ext HDD

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 qwertyhbdcx

qwertyhbdcx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:12 PM

I don't need Edward/Julian level security, I just don't want the lady or anyone snooping if I let them use the Guest account on my Win 10 desktop. I am aware that physical access by someone tech savvy is a very real liability, but that's not really an issue in my little circle.

Maybe I'm being cheap, but I'm trying to not really pay for simply hiding certain things that interest some of us guys that significant others aren't keen on.

The problem I've been having is encryption software I've tried is either a bit too complex for me to grasp, or it works but decrypts for ALL users instead of just the account I unlocked it with. In addition, it REMAINS unlocked until I restart, which is really only when I'm forced by Redmond.

TL;DR: How do I set up an ext HDD, on a semi-shared computer, for my eyes only. I.E. like a digital safe - unlock, access, manually lock.

Noob speak would be appreciated. 

Win 10
WD & Seagate HDDs

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 AM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 05:00 PM

I would use Veracrypt and a file container on the external hard drive. The container is encrypted and you mount it as a virtual drive. After doing what you will with the files you can unmount the container. Nobody would be able to see the contents of the container when not mounted including yourself. Veracrypt needs to be installed on the computer you attach the external to.

https://www.veracrypt.fr/en/Home.html

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,486 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:00 PM

Provided that you are the only one that uses your account and the drive is formatted with NTFS you could use that to secure the drive.  Right click the drive and change to the Security tab and press the Edit button.  Then Add your account and check the Full control box.  After your account is added select Everyone and then Remove.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users