Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Force Computer to Output 50Hz?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 King_Yoshi

King_Yoshi

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 1,312 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 PM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:11 PM

I have a very odd problem which I have been struggling with for over a week.

1.) I have a generic 50hz monitor that I need to use as my primary computer monitor, however if I plug it into my computer I get a black screen.

2.) If I plug in a second 60hz monitor I get the computer to display, which then allows me to select the second 50hz monitor and set the computer's output to 50hz. 

3.) After getting both monitors working I unplug the 60hz monitor, since I only want to use the 50hz monitor.
The 50hz monitor seems to loose the signal and goes black.

It's as if the computer is loosing its settings for the 50hz monitor when I unplug the 60hz monitor.

How can I get the 50hz monitor to work standalone with this computer?

(Please do not suggest get another monitor.. In reality the 50hz monitor is actually a video switcher that only accepts 50hz connections, I merely said monitor for simplification of the explanation, since for all purposes the computer sees the switcher as just another monitor.)

Thank you for any and all help and suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:55 PM

the computer sees the switcher as just another monitor

I don't know whether that is going to be possible, even if you use a driver for a non plug@play monitor. Even if your settings when Windows is operational specify to use 50Hz scan, a monitor is expected to be able to display at the universal default of 60Hz, e.g. during boot. The switcher itself is transparent to the computer, it only sees a monitor because there is a monitor connected to the switcher. Before the Windows driver is loaded and gets told "use 50Hz", the system will use 60Hz. If the switcher cannot pass that 60Hz signal, the system will see no monitor.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 King_Yoshi

King_Yoshi
  • Topic Starter

• 1,312 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:23 AM

the computer sees the switcher as just another monitor

I don't know whether that is going to be possible, even if you use a driver for a non plug@play monitor. Even if your settings when Windows is operational specify to use 50Hz scan, a monitor is expected to be able to display at the universal default of 60Hz, e.g. during boot. The switcher itself is transparent to the computer, it only sees a monitor because there is a monitor connected to the switcher. Before the Windows driver is loaded and gets told "use 50Hz", the system will use 60Hz. If the switcher cannot pass that 60Hz signal, the system will see no monitor.

Dear Platypus. Thank you for that very detailed explanation, it is greatly appreciated! This verifies some of my fears.

#4 King_Yoshi

King_Yoshi
  • Topic Starter

• 1,312 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 12:51 PM

I found a workaround to my problem.

1.) I connected the 60hz monitor and installed a tight NVC server.
2.) I then disconnected the 60hz monitor and connected the 50hz monitor.
3.) Using Tight VNC I remoted into the computer and correctly configured the monitor settings. 
(I went into the advanced display settings and chose 50hz as the refresh rate.)

I now have full use of the 50hz monitor.

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:07 PM

One thought floated past me and it might give you a clue.  SECAM is the 50HZ equivilent  of European TV.  A video output from a DVI port on a plug in video card might give you that option to use SECAM versus NTSC.

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,204 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:36 PM

I found a workaround to my problem.

That's good to hear. Thanks for the update.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users