Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Defender

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:54 PM

am i blind?

i can not seem to locate some settings for windows defender,

specifically the ones where you can schedule a scan time, and the type of scan (quick / full)

have these options been removed in windows 10?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 PM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:30 PM

I believe those things were removed long ago, at least in the main Windows Defender interface.

You can manually trigger a Quick Scan or Full Scan using the Windows Defender Security Center, Virus & Threat Detection section.  Otherwise Windows Defender automatically triggers Quick Scans on a regular basis and checks how long it's been since the last one when you power up the computer if it's been shut down for an extended period.  I don't know that it ever triggers a full scan except when running for the first time which is generally the only time one is needed unless some hideous infection does somehow wheedle its way on to your system via an unusual conduit/method.  The realtime protection and anti-exploit protection in WD is quite robust.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 mikey11

mikey11
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:00 PM

I believe those things were removed long ago, at least in the main Windows Defender interface.

You can manually trigger a Quick Scan or Full Scan using the Windows Defender Security Center, Virus & Threat Detection section.  Otherwise Windows Defender automatically triggers Quick Scans on a regular basis and checks how long it's been since the last one when you power up the computer if it's been shut down for an extended period.  I don't know that it ever triggers a full scan except when running for the first time which is generally the only time one is needed unless some hideous infection does somehow wheedle its way on to your system via an unusual conduit/method.  The realtime protection and anti-exploit protection in WD is quite robust.

thanks....im used to the old MSE interface where i could set a time for a scan.....still getting used to this

#4 yankeelady2015

yankeelady2015

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:21 PM

@mikey11 check here https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/threat-protection/windows-defender-antivirus/windows-defender-security-center-antivirus

Good Luck!

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,623 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:47 PM

Microsoft is taking the right approach to Windows Defender:  making it "set it and forget it."

Anything that doesn't require user attention and ongoing intervention when it comes to security software best suits the majority of users.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users