Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constant Issues

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:58 AM

Im not really sure where to start with this as this is an accumulation of years of issues and pain.  I cannot begin to summarise  what happens over and over again but Im hoping there is someone out there clever enough to put the pieces together.

I will answer any questions anyone has and I will answer honestly.

Here’s the starting point.....

I ran an “SFC /Scannow”

Beginning system scan.  This process will take some time.

Beginning verification phase of system scan.

Verification 100% complete.

Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations.

Then “copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log "%userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt”

Which I attach

Attached Files

Edited by WhatsWrongWithIt, 17 January 2018 - 10:59 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,587 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:03 PM

What kind of problems are you having?

What kind of hardware do you have?

What build of Windows 10 are you running?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:04 PM

If you are having constant issues, that have persisted for years, it is well-nigh impossible to disentangle what might be causing what, particularly when you cannot articulate what those issues are.

That being said, did you ever do a clean install of Windows 10?   

Since Windows 10 has only been out since July 2015 "years long" suggests to me that these problems probably predated Windows 10 and existed on whatever version of Windows you updated from.   Updating on top of an unstable system is a recipe for heartache.   If this is what you did then I would definitely recommend that you take a full system image of your existing system, take a full backup of your user data separately from that, use a tool such as Belarc Advisor to create a quick inventory of the software you actually have installed on your system (as we all tend to forget *something*), then follow the instructions for Doing a Completely Clean Install of Windows 10.  

After you have a clean version of Windows 10, your necessary programs reinstalled under that, and your user data copied back over then immediately take a full system image backup.  Then see if your issues persist.

If any of my assumptions contained in the above are incorrect, then provide the details regarding what your actual situation is.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#4 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:39 PM

What kind of problems are you having?

Can I return to this?

What kind of hardware do you have?

Surface Pro 4

What build of Windows 10 are you running?

10 Pro, version 1709 os build 16299.192

#5 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:56 PM

If you are having constant issues, that have persisted for years, it is well-nigh impossible to disentangle what might be causing what, particularly when you cannot articulate what those issues are.

I can articulate but I don't know where to start! Generically I would say its like having a permanent battle with a second user conflict, like syncing on a terminal server where your information is duplicated but having an old copy that rears its head everynow and then 

That being said, did you ever do a clean install of Windows 10?   

Since Windows 10 has only been out since July 2015 "years long" suggests to me that these problems probably predated Windows 10 and existed on whatever version of Windows you updated from.

This surface pro 4 obviously started life with W10, previous issue with PCs on W8.

Updating on top of an unstable system is a recipe for heartache.   If this is what you did then I would definitely recommend that you take a full system image of your existing system, take a full backup of your user data separately from that, use a tool such as Belarc Advisor to create a quick inventory of the software you actually have installed on your system (as we all tend to forget *something*), then follow the instructions for Doing a Completely Clean Install of Windows 10

Every time I have used a copy of the W10 for the particular serial number of my SP4  on MS site as it was supplied direct and have chosen the option to delete all my files.  This was done on this PC on 24 December

After you have a clean version of Windows 10, your necessary programs reinstalled under that, and your user data copied back over then immediately take a full system image backup.  Then see if your issues persist.

I will follow our instructions to the letter in he next few days

If any of my assumptions contained in the above are incorrect, then provide the details regarding what your actual situation is.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,471 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:36 PM

Just a quick note, but there is a distinct difference between a Reset of Windows 10, a reinstall (but not completely clean install) of Windows 10, and a completely clean install of Windows 10.

It is only with the last of these that you can guarantee that you are getting an entirely pristine Windows 10 environment.  The first two can (and do) reuse existing components and/or partitioning and if you want to eliminate the possibility of reuse then make sure to wipe the slate clean yourself.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#7 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:37 AM

Clean version of Windows 10 installed. The only other thing Ive done is sfc /scannow which stopped and remains on 23% verification. This is 7 hours so Im guessing its not gonna finish!

Im going to have a look round as Ive noticed a load of unknown devices when I went to the device manager to see why I no longer have a working touch screen

Edited by WhatsWrongWithIt, 18 January 2018 - 01:23 AM.

#8 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:35 AM

So the current situation is that everything keeps slowing or stopping, screen flickers and dims and generally it feels like its just too busy to react to a user

Touch screen and pen changed from "not available for this device" to "single point" to "ten touch points" without any interaction from me.  Barring running SFC, and plugging in a wireless mouse, a SP4 keyboard and adding on my wifi connection, nothing else has been added.

Its not even connected to my MS account yet but running as a local machine

SFC /scannow said it had an outstanding repair so rebooted and ran again as instructed. Enclose cbslog from this

Event logs are full of the following:

​Event 1034 Source Security-SPP

Duplicate definition of policy found

​Event 916 Source ESENT

The beta feature EseDiskFlushConsistency is enabled in ESENT due to the beta site mode settings 0x800000

Event 0 Source SurfaceService

The description for Event ID 0 from source SurfaceService cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

Attached Files

Edited by WhatsWrongWithIt, 18 January 2018 - 03:41 AM.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,471 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:16 PM

The next thing I'd suggest you do is download Seagate SeaTools Hard Disc Drive Diagnostic (which works for all brands) and run some tests on your hard drive.

My gut tells me that you've got something failing on the hardware side, and the most likely candidate would be the HDD.

#10 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:52 PM

All tests passed with no issues

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,471 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:55 PM

Well, something is definitely wrong that I cannot explain if you did a completely clean installation of Windows 10, per my instructions I linked to, and an SFC /scannow is running for hours.  That just shouldn't happen, ever, and particularly on a brand spankin' new installation of Windows 10 done using the ISO downloaded from the Windows 10 Download Page.

I am completely out of ideas.

#12 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:25 PM

Will the Rufus log prove I did?

(Info removed as large and irrelevant)

Edited by WhatsWrongWithIt, 18 January 2018 - 04:33 PM.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,471 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:29 PM

You use Rufus to create to bootable media used to perform a clean install of Windows 10.  It has nothing to do at all with the actual Windows 10 installation process.

If you did not follow, to the letter, the instructions I've posted for :  Doing a Completely Clean Install of Windows 10, then you haven't done a completely clean install of Windows 10.

If you did follow those instructions, to the letter, previously then I remain completely out of ideas about what you might do next.

Edited by britechguy, 18 January 2018 - 04:31 PM.

#14 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 04:50 PM

I followed instructions to the letter, absolutely 100%, no deviations, no interpretations)

Maybe this would be a perfect time to start trying to expand on the issues experienced.  You will remember that I gave a very generic description likening the issues to being on a server that has two copies of my data that are not synchronising correctly. Like there is a work build on the PC that is stopping it going right back to factory reset conditions

One of the odd things I have noticed is that once I change the PC to use my MS account and not use it in local account mode my name used for my documents will be spelt incorrectly. Everywhere else its not.  Where is this pulled from?

On Windows SXS there are loads of manifest files dated September (should I have anything prior to yesterday?

There also appears to be two different names on the path to my (one and only) Onedrive 

#15 WhatsWrongWithIt

WhatsWrongWithIt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 12:29 PM

I joined this forum because I was amazed at what you guys can fix so by virtue of lack of help I apologise for trying to swim against the tide in the way I wanted to approach it.

Specific Issue:

Windows Hello keeps saying to use another login method - pin or password - but will not display the screen keyboard

Windows Hello for Business provisioning will not be launched.
Device is AAD joined ( AADJ or DJ++ ): Not Tested
User has logged on with AAD credentials: No
Windows Hello for Business policy is enabled: Not Tested
Local computer meets Windows hello for business hardware requirements: Not Tested
User is not connected to the machine via Remote Desktop: Yes
User certificate for on premise auth policy is enabled: Not Tested
Machine is governed by none policy.
See https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=832647 for more details.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users