Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Copying from computer to external drive stalls

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mmerrill

mmerrill

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:31 AM

Just recently when attempting to copy files from a Dell XPS 630I SP3 computer to a Western Digitial external hard drive (My Passport Ultra & Elements Desktop) the transfer stalls at 5 to 10 seconds left and does not complete.  I tried different USB ports, the monitor and front/back ports on the computer with the same result.  The drives are recognized by the computer and I can access and play files from the external drives fine.  I have used the external hard drives strictly as a drag/drop storage device without the installation of any of the WD software included with the drives.  Rebooting did not help.

Other USB devices work fine in the same USB ports; camera, printer and thumb drives, both Sansdisk and HP.  In fact, I can copy files from the computer directly to the Sansdisk thumb drive with no issues and I can also copy files from the Sansdisk thumb drive to the Western Digitial hard drives when both are plugged into the XP computer's USB ports without issue.  

Thank you for the help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:03 AM

You could be developing an issue with your internal hard drive.

The first thing I'd do is trying to split the content you're copying into "chunks," copy one chunk at a time, and see if you end up getting an error for a specific chunk (which would contain the problematic area on the internal hard drive) when you try to copy it.

The above is the primitive method of doing things.  You could also download the Seagate SeaTools Hard Disc Drive Diagnostic (which works on brands other than Seagate) to see what it might tell you about the state of both your internal hard drive and external one, too.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,618 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:04 AM

Do you have the same problem with the drives when attached to a different computer? How is the transfer in Safe Mode?

#4 mmerrill

mmerrill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:35 PM

Britechguy & JohnC_21,

Many thanks to both of you for responding to my problem.

Britechguy- The Seagate Tools for Windows returned a pass on the external drive under the short generic and short drive self test.  The internal drive passed on the short generic.  I will run the long version tonight.

JohnC_21- I attempted to check the transfer in Safe Mode, but when attempting to re-boot I received the pop up window titled "copying" "Windows is currently working with a file either wait for windows to finish or close it before you quit windows".   I had closed out all windows prior to attempting re-start.  I didn't know where to go to check what process was in progress.  I also had to click OK several times for the box to disappear. I will check the external hard drives on another older XP machine tonight and a laptop.

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:50 PM

there are some utilities out there that may fix your issue your having.

like this one ultracopier:

https://www.techsupportalert.com/content/ultracopier.htm-0

if your copy hangs or just fails you can resume where it left off from.  I use it all the time to dup HDD for my karaoke business.  100,000 + files.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,618 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:53 PM

Britechguy & JohnC_21,

Many thanks to both of you for responding to my problem.

Britechguy- The Seagate Tools for Windows returned a pass on the external drive under the short generic and short drive self test.  The internal drive passed on the short generic.  I will run the long version tonight.

JohnC_21- I attempted to check the transfer in Safe Mode, but when attempting to re-boot I received the pop up window titled "copying" "Windows is currently working with a file either wait for windows to finish or close it before you quit windows".   I had closed out all windows prior to attempting re-start.  I didn't know where to go to check what process was in progress.  I also had to click OK several times for the box to disappear. I will check the external hard drives on another older XP machine tonight and a laptop.

On the computer that is hanging detach the drive, open a command prompt and type the following for a full shutdown.

shutdown /s /f /t 0

Reboot the computer and tap f8 for safe mode. Try the copy operation.

#7 mmerrill

mmerrill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2018 - 05:08 PM

JohnC_21,

When I posted this problem I didn't realize the extent of the used space on the hard drive of the computer.  I moved enough files off to a thumb drive to defrag the hard drive then re-booted in safe mode.  I was able to successfully move files.  I then tried booting normally and was able to move files into two different external drives.  

BriTechGuy, it sounds like you were right on "You could be developing an issue with your internal hard drive."

Thank you both for your help, very much appreciated.  MightyWiz, thank you for your suggestion.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users