Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iPad suddenly rejects wifi password

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:04 AM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 01:26 AM

My iPad mini has been working flawlessly since Christmas, 2016 (13 months). I used it for over an hour last night. This evening, it suddenly decided that it doesn't like the wifi password, which hasn't changed in several years and which 5-6 other devices use all the time. After it tells me that the password is invalid (I tried it very carefully several times), I get a message that says something like, "WEP is not secure. Reconfigure the router for WPA2 Personal (AES).".

The router is in a closet in my home. Only two people li ve here and no one has touched it in weeks or months, let alone since last night.

Can anyone explain what is going on and how to get it to behave?

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:49 AM

First things first, reset the Network Settings on the phone and try again.

Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings

It should prompt you for your device pass code, if you have one set, then let that run and try connecting once more. If it still doesn't work it may be a problem with the router, in which point I'd recommend unplugging it from power for 30 seconds and reconnecting it. Wait for it to power on completely and try again.

Try that and let me know how it worked.

Edited by C0bra, 17 January 2018 - 10:59 AM.

IT Service Technician - Computer Gamer - iPhone Expert 

nIDwkQT.gif

#3 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:02 PM

First things first, reset the Network Settings on the phone and try again.

Settings>General>Reset>Reset Network Settings

It should prompt you for your device pass code, if you have one set, then let that run and try connecting once more.

That seems to have worked. Thanks.

What happened to make this necessary? I am (99.9%) certain that I didn't change any settings -- at least, not intentionally.

#4 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:19 PM

That seems to have worked. Thanks.

What happened to make this necessary? I am (99.9%) certain that I didn't change any settings -- at least, not intentionally.

Really hard to say to be quite honest. My guess is that it’s a hiccup in the cached settings for your network settings. Something just got bugged out. It happens more often than you’d think.

I will mention that resetting the network settings will now force you to log in to every network that was saved in the settings. IE: WiFi at a friends house.

Glad this worked. If you run into any other issue please feel free to ask!

Edited by C0bra, 17 January 2018 - 12:22 PM.

nIDwkQT.gif

#5 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:47 PM

Really hard to say to be quite honest. My guess is that it’s a hiccup in the cached settings for your network settings. Something just got bugged out. It happens more often than you’d think.

OK

I will mention that resetting the network settings will now force you to log in to every network that was saved in the settings. IE: WiFi at a friends house.

Sigh. I think you might have mentioned that before recommending the fix. Is there any way to reset just that one wifi access point without losing all of the others?

#6 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:55 PM

Sigh. I think you might have mentioned that before recommending the fix. Is there any way to reset just that one wifi access point without losing all of the others?

It’s very possible that “Forget this Network” might have fixed the issue as well. That can be done by going into Wi-Fi and pressing the little blue circled “i” and pressing “Forget this Network” at the top. It’s good to reset the settings from time to time though. Releases some cached data and let’s the device rebuild it. It would also remove some networks you may not ever connect to again; freeing up some useless data.

My apologies, I should have mentioned that before!

nIDwkQT.gif

#7 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 265 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:26 PM

It’s very possible that “Forget this Network” might have fixed the issue as well. That can be done by going into Wi-Fi and pressing the little blue circled “i” and pressing “Forget this Network” at the top. It’s good to reset the settings from time to time though. Releases some cached data and let’s the device rebuild it. It would also remove some networks you may not ever connect to again; freeing up some useless data.

My apologies, I should have mentioned that before!

That's a much more complete answer. Excellent. Thanks. And I agree with you about a complete reset occasionally. Thanks for the help.

#8 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:34 PM

That's a much more complete answer. Excellent. Thanks. And I agree with you about a complete reset occasionally. Thanks for the help.

My pleasure! So glad I was able to help!

nIDwkQT.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users