Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Android 4.4.4 kitkat is infected with adware. What do I do?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 1Steven

1Steven

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:07 PM

Can I get help with adware in Android here?

Just got my first smartphone running kitkat.  Just downloaded and installed 4 apps from play.google.com (google play).  Now I have plenty of adware and even a lot of Chrome 63 redirections.  Somewhere among what I have read about this was a suggestion to reset my router to factory settings and re-enter the settings.  I have it directly from the manufacture is that they purposely did not build in a way to back up the router's settings (Arris, Comcast).  I don't really want to do that and I don't know exactly how it would help.  Help?

(I notice that there aren't a lot of forums here about smartphones or android...  I would really appreciate your help with suggetions of sites to go to for help with android adware.  Thank you.)

Steven

Edited by 1Steven, 16 January 2018 - 08:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:49 PM

I suggest :

Clean with any cleaning software. CCleaner, Clean Master or any other tool you come across for Android. But uninstall the tool immediately after use. It does more harm then good to your phone if kept in long runs.

Android is full of ads and adware. I would strongly suggest an ad-blocker.

As you are using a KitKat based android, you can root the device and install AdAway. It's free courtesy of many people and is not heavy on battery.

If you are not into rooting, then go with any of the many adblockers; in this case, I suggest, AdClear, NetGuard or AdGuard. These programs install a local VPN which can be bit heavy on battery usage. These programs work better if you are rooted.

If you are rooted I strongly suggest for AdAway though, for KitKat devices.

#3 1Steven

1Steven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:14 PM

Thanks for the tip.  I did run CCleaner and I don't think it solved the problem, although possibly there are somewhat less ads.  I am going to assume that my DNS settings in the router are the right ones.  I don't remember what they are.  Maybe I can find out from google search.  I appreciate the help.

#4 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:18 PM

Try with the Adblocker on and let me know the results.Including the battery drain please if you find any.

Edited by Hareen, 16 January 2018 - 10:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users