Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up a VPN

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 nkchri2

nkchri2

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:27 AM

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:47 PM

I'm trying to set up a vpn for my small personal business. I just set it up through windows vpn.  I can connect to the vpn from another computer on the local network.  But every time I try to connect over the internet I get "The network connection between your computer and the VPN server was interrupted.

- I can connect to the VPN on the LAN.
- I have set up port forwarding on my Arris modem/router (spectrum) for 1723 for the local IP of the server, which I have made static.
- I did check "connections through internet" when setting up the VPN.
- The firewall on the router is turned off
- PPTP Passthrough is enabled.
- Windows firewall is turned off (while trying to get the connection going anyways)
- No anti virus services are running
- I have a DDNS setup through No-IP.  I can ping the address I have set up over the internet.
- I can remote desktop to the server.
- I have restarted the server and client, and stopped and restarted the Routing and Remote Access Service.

Also, If i try and just map a network drive to the DDNS address, I get "File and Print Sharing resource is online but isn't responding to connection attempts.  So I think the DDNS is working.  I can see shared files on the LAN tho.

Still no dice...  Obviously it's something with the modem or some settings I have missed, but I'm no networking expert, and at this point I'm out of ideas...   Can anyone help me out?  Thanks in advance!

Also, I should add the reason this is being set up is to run a program that must have access to the installed program and shared files on the server. The program is set up and working when connecting on the LAN, but I am trying to setup a vpn (if that is what I need to do) to be able to work remotely.

Edited by nkchri2, 17 January 2018 - 12:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 237 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 PM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:33 AM

It might be a port issue? Maybe conflict on 1723........Does it respond on default port?

Are all these ports listening? 

TCP/47 GRE, TCP/1723 for PPTP, TCP/1701 for L2TP and TCP-UDP/500 for ISAKMP, CISCO etc (only in case of using L2TP)  :wink:

Edited by Replicator, 17 January 2018 - 07:41 AM.

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#3 nkchri2

nkchri2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:16 PM

It might be a port issue? Maybe conflict on 1723........Does it respond on default port?

Are all these ports listening? 

TCP/47 GRE, TCP/1723 for PPTP, TCP/1701 for L2TP and TCP-UDP/500 for ISAKMP, CISCO etc (only in case of using L2TP)  :wink:

Again, I'm not really knowledgeable about much networking so you may have to help me out a little.

When I run netstat -aon I see 0.0.0.0:1723 & 0.0.0.0:500 marked as listening, but no similar listening entry for 192.168.x.x:1723.  I don't see any of the other ports marked as listening.  When I use the online port checker, it says all of them are closed.

I don't need to set anything special or change router settings on the client side do I?  I didn't think I had to otherwise you wouldn't be able to connect from any public connection where you didn't have access to network settings.

Edited by nkchri2, 17 January 2018 - 02:26 PM.

#4 nkchri2

nkchri2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:37 PM

Oh well.... I give up.

Problem solved with softether vpn... Just too bad that it isnt going to work with what I was wanting to do. Running the program through the vpn is just unusably slow... 😞

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users