Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE9 Won`t work

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 mike_shupp

mike_shupp

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 12:12 AM

Esman, mistakenly I gather, I've been interpreting your complaints about IE not working as meaning that IE hasn't been working as well as you would like.

You're here, after all, on the internet, reading posts people send to you and responding.  What browser are you using?  Or, are you using someone elsle's PC to communicate with us?

Something seems really screwed up here, and I'm not sure what.  It doesn't seem likely that you're having problems just with IE.  What else about your PC is bothering you?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 esrman

esrman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 PM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:40 AM

Nothing else is wrong.

My  pc is working better than it ever did  since I got a new motherboard about a year ago.Way faster than whe I first bought it.

I use firefox.

The only other problem I wish  could fix is when I get an email,it used to make one of the windows sounds to announce it,but that stopped sometime ago.

Howie

#18 mike_shupp

mike_shupp

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:32 PM

Okay, Internet Explorer is a thing you'd like, but it's not a crisis. 

That's good.  I keep it around partly from habit -- I think it's build into my nervous system by now -- and partly because in Win 98 days, Microsoft's programming utilities used to require IE, and every good hacker -- or mediocre hacker with pretensions, which probably best described me -- had to keep IE  5 or 6 running.    But I have Firefox  as a backup anymore.

Getting back to you,  I'm still not really visualizing your problem.  Is your screen absolutely blank when you try to bring up IE, or do you have a mostly blank (white) screen with a URL pointing to "blank.space" or something similar?  That happens to me occasionally; for some reason the browser looses track of what my Home Page is.

Also ... You're running a 32-bit version of Vista, I gather.  What came with Vista originally, what you get if you do a fresh install on either a 32-bit or 64-bit PC, is a 32-bit version of IE 8.   A couple years later, Microsoft released 32 and 64-bit versions of IE 9, and of course many many updates since then.  I'm wondering if you or some well-intentioned "helper" might have tried to install the wrong version of IE or the wrong version of some updates.

I'm looking at the Microsoft Update catalog now and it shows 56 files for "Vista Internet Explorer 9", which isn't a whole lot since the x86 stuff makes up only a third of that...  you could probably download and reinstall "wu-ie9-windowsvista-x86_90e3e90...." in about two minutes.  I'd like to know what happens when you try that.

Edited by mike_shupp, 18 January 2018 - 09:34 PM.

#19 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:02 AM

...I'd suggest you manually uninstall KB4021558 (and every other Windows Server 2008 update you installed) from Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features | View Installed Updates and then re-boot.  That might allow the original update for IE9 (KB982861, released March 2011) that repeatedly failed on 16-Jan-2018 to run to completion or at least allow IE9 to open correctly....

Hi esrman:

If you can't get into IE9 to see what Update Versions are currently installed (normally viewed from the menu bar at Help | About Internet Explorer or from the Tools (gear) icon | About Internet Explorer) it's a bit difficult to know the best way to proceed.  Unfortunately, your Speccy profile doesn't show KB numbers for any security updates between 30-Apr-2013 when you installed (reinstalled?) your 32-bit Vista SP2 OS and 15-Jan-2018 when Windows Update started working again and installed ~ 30 available updates, so I can't tell what IE9 security updates were successfully installed between those dates.

Attached File  IE9 Version KB4014661 April 2017.png   17.66KB   0 downloads

If uninstalling KB4021558 (Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows Server 2008, released June 13, 2017) didn't help, here are two other suggestions:

• Reset your IE9 browser back to its original settings at Control Panel | Network and Internet | Internet Options | Advanced tab | Reset Internet Explorer Settings | Reset.  See the MS support article How to Reset Internet Explorer Settings for further details.  A reset should not permanently delete bookmarks in your Favorites folder but I believe it will disable your add-ons and toolbars, so if the reset is successful you will have to enable your menu bar as instructed in post # 2.
  • Search your installed updates at Control Panel | Programs and Features | View Installed Updates to see if KB3124275 (MS16-001: Cumulative Update for IE7/8/9, January 12, 2016) was installed your system. When searching, enter the full KB number in the search box (e.g., "KB3124275" and not a partial string like "3124275").  If it has not been installed yet download the 32-bit (x86) .msu standalone installer from http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB3124275 Vista Internet Explorer 9 and install using the method in post # 11.

Attached File  Installed Update KB3124275 on 14 Jan 2016.png   47.86KB   0 downloads

-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.5.3 * NS Premium v22.11.2.7 * MB Premium v3.3.1 * MS Office 2003 Professional SP3 * Speccy v1.31.732

#20 esrman

esrman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:59 AM

I have a pic as to how it looks but how do I paste it here?

KB3124275 is installed.

https://i.imgur.com/Y3kn9US.jpg

Howie

Edited by esrman, 19 January 2018 - 11:01 AM.

#21 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 03:07 PM

I have a pic as to how it looks but how do I paste it here?  KB3124275 is installed.

Hi esrman:

While composing your message, click the More Reply Options button (next to the Post button) at the bottom right of the editor.  Scroll down to the Attach Files section, browse to the file location and click Attach This File. Place your cursor where you want to place the image in your message and click Add to Post.

Attached File  bleepingcomputer Add Image to Posts.png   15.28KB   0 downloads

My view is very different I see when I browse to https://classic.startpage.com in IE9 (see image below).  This might sound like an odd question, but are you certain you're launching Internet Explorer 9, and do you get these blank pages for every web site you visit? Your browser interface looks more like IE7 or IE8, and neither of these browsers has been supported on Vista SP2 since January 2016 - see the October 2015 ghacks.net article End of Support for Old Internet Explorer Versions Draws Near.

Attached File  IE9 Classic Start Page Safety Menu 19 Jan 2018.png   52.71KB   0 downloads

I also can't see an icon for Compatibility View button in your browser (mine is highlighted with a green square in my image) and my best guess at this point is that your problem is related to Compatibility View.  From the MS support article How to use Compatibility View in Internet Explorer 9:

"Some websites might appear blank or might not display correctly in Windows Internet Explorer 9. One possible explanation: The site might have been designed for an earlier version of Internet Explorer."

If you're certain you're launching IE9, it still might be worth trying to reset your browser as suggested in post # 19 (make sure that Delete personal settings check box is enabled to remove your browsing history, search providers, Accelerators, home pages, Tracking Protection, and ActiveX Filtering data) to see what happens.

-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.5.3 * NS Premium v22.11.2.7 * MB Premium v3.3.1 * MS Office 2003 Professional SP3 * Speccy v1.31.732

Edited by lmacri, 19 January 2018 - 03:15 PM.

#22 esrman

esrman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:19 PM

This is what it looks like

Howie

Attached Files

#23 esrman

esrman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:22 PM

I hope this works.

HowieAttached File  ScreenHunter_183 Jan. 19 10.55.jpg   116.28KB   0 downloads

#24 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 391 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:54 AM

Hi esrman:

It doesn't matter if you upload your .jpg files to imgur.com and post the URL or insert them directly in your replies using the Attach Files feature in the advanced options - I can see both.

Go to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer and hover your mouse over iexplorer.exe.  What is the File Version and Date Created?  If the File Version starts with a "9" (e.g., v9.0.8112.16896 as shown in my image below) double-click iexplorer.exe to launch your browser and report back if you still see a blank page when you browse to a different search provider like https://www.google.com/.

Attached File  Vista SP2 iexplore.exe Properties 21 Jan 2018.png   53.26KB   0 downloads

-----------

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users