Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IE9 Won`t work

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 esrman

esrman

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 PM

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:25 AM

Ie9 opens up and does nothing beyond that.

Theres even no menu up above.

I can`t uninstall it either.

Says not all the updates were uninstalled.

Howie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:20 PM

Hi esrman:

Before starting, please read post # 12 in pcpunk's thread Most Popular Browser For VistaFirefox ESR v52 (extended support release) is fully supported on Vista SP2 computers until June 2018, and it might be simpler to switch to Firefox ESR instead of spending too much of your time trying to repair an unsupported IE9 browser.

Please describe how you tried to uninstall IE9.  The Internet Explorer browser is integrated in the Vista operating system and cannot be uninstalled from Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features.  Did you try to uninstall a recent IE9 cumulative update from your installed programs list (Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features | View Installed Updates) or the entire IE9 browser?

Do either of the first 2 methods in the support article The menu bar and the toolbar are missing in Internet Explorer on Windows Vista or Windows XP or in Windows Explorer on Windows XP (i.e., clicking the ALT or F11 key) re-enable your menu bar in IE9?  If not, can you enter the IE9 settings by clicking the Tools (gear) icon or ALT+X keys?

Attached File  IE9 Tools from Gear Icon 16 Jan 2018.png   24.6KB   0 downloads

-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.5.3 * NS Premium v22.11.2.7 * MB Premium v3.3.1 * MS Office 2003 Professional SP3

#3 esrman

esrman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:28 PM

Yur suppsed to go back to an earlier version by opening CP,programs and featurs,then installed updates,then right-click intrnet explorer 9,uninstall.

Theres no menu at all.

the page is blank.

clicking n the gear doesn`t have only file and safety,all else is blanked out.

Howie

#4 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:01 PM

Hi esrman:

Please run Piriform's free Speccy utility and then published a snapshot of your system specs on the web (File | Publish Snapshot) .  Follow the instructions in the support article Publishing a Speccy Profile to the Web and then copy and paste the URL of your published snapshot in your next post.  If you have any problems see Queen-Evie's Speccy screenshots in your 2016 thread windows 8.1.

Here's the URL of a sample snapshot I created today for my own Vista SP2 computer:  http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HZv8UyEO241bj2NSCWHNeuC

-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.5.3 * NS Premium v22.11.2.7 * MB Premium v3.3.1 * MS Office 2003 Professional SP3 * Speccy v1.31.732

#5 esrman

esrman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:55 PM

I can`t seem to get any website t host a pic with  a good size for viewing.

Howie

Edited by esrman, 16 January 2018 - 06:02 PM.

#6 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:38 PM

Hi esrman:

That link throws a "That page doesn't exist" error in my browser.  Please follow the instructions in the support article Publishing a Speccy Profile to the WebAfter publishing (File | Publish Snapshot) click the Copy to Clipboard button and paste (Ctrl+V) the URL in your next post.

Attached File  Speccy Snapshot Copy to Clipboard.png   5.8KB   0 downloads
-----------
32-bit Vista Home Premium SP2 * Firefox ESR v52.5.3 * NS Premium v22.11.2.7 * MB Premium v3.3.1 * MS Office 2003 Professional SP3 * Speccy v1.31.732

Edited by lmacri, 16 January 2018 - 04:40 PM.

#7 esrman

esrman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:10 PM

https://i.imgur.com/PcE4AG7.jpg

Try this url.

Howie

#8 esrman

esrman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:12 PM

https://i.imgur.com/PcE4AG7.jpg

Try this url.

Howie

#9 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:39 PM

Hi esrman:

Your .jpg of the Speccy main summary doesn't tell me much, except that you have a 32-bit Vista SP2 OS (and that your CPU is overheating, which might be related to an unfinished Windows Update).

If you look at the sample output I provided for my own computer at http://speccy.piriform.com/results/HZv8UyEO241bj2NSCWHNeuC you'll see the additional information that is included in a full Speccy profile (also referred to as a Speccy snapshot).  Please follow the instructions in the support article Publishing a Speccy Profile to the Web and then post the URL of your published profile in this thread - the URL should start with http:// speccy.piriform.com/results/...
-----------

#10 esrman

esrman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:55 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/wulIKIY3vDoMcT7JC2ihlb5

Howie

#11 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:35 PM

Hi esrman:

According to Speccy, your installed Internet Explorer version is v9.0.8112.16421 (the same build as my Internet Explorer 9), so whatever security update you uninstalled from Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features | View Installed Updates didn't completely uninstall IE9 and might have corrupted your current IE9 installation.

Try the following to see if this allows you to patch IE9 manually using a standalone .msu installer:

1. Disable automatic Windows Updates [Windows Update | Change settings | Important updates | Never check for updates (not recommended)] and re-boot to terminate any Windows Update session currently running in the background.
  2. Download the offline .msu installer for KB4014661 (Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9: April 11, 2017) from            http://www.catalog.update.microsoft.com/Search.aspx?q=KB4014661 Vista and save the file to your Windows desktop.  Download the Vista x86 installer since you have a 32-bit Vista OS.
  3. Double-click the .msu file on your desktop to start the installation and restart your computer after the installer is finished.

If the KB4014661 installer fails, post back and describe the exact error or message you encounter.  If it installs correctly, re-boot your computer and see if there is any change in the behaviour of your IE9 browser. Please leave your automatic Windows Updates disabled (i.e., set to Never check for updates) and do not run any manual Windows Updates while we are troubleshooting.

-----------

Edited by lmacri, 16 January 2018 - 10:36 PM.

#12 esrman

esrman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 12:40 AM

It said this does not appy to yuor computer.

Howie

#13 lmacri

lmacri

• Members
  • 452 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:37 AM

It said this does not appy to yuor computer.

Hi esrman:

You still haven't explained why you thought it was necessary to uninstall IE9 in the first place (I assume the name of the security update uninstalled from Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features | View Installed Updates was "Windows Internet Explorer 9"), but it looks like the original update for IE9 (KB982861, released March 2011) repeatedly failed to install on your computer yesterday on 16-Jan-2018.  Have you been trying to manually install IE9 using the installer downloaded from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/internet-explorer-9-details.aspx or is Windows Update trying to automatically install this update?

See the MS support article "The update is not applicable to your computer" error when you install Windows updates.  There are several reasons why you might see this message - for example, a pre-requisite update might need to be installed first,  or you might be trying to install an older update that isn't required because it has been superseded by a newer update that is already installed.

It appears you manually installed KB4021558 (Cumulative Security Update for Internet Explorer 9 for Windows Server 2008, released June 13, 2017) on 15-Jan-2018 along with KB4015195 and KB4015380 (two of the five required speed up patches listed <here> to fix Windows Update on a Vista SP2 computer).  I'm guessing you started manually installing some of the Windows Server 2008 patches listed in Sardoc's thread Security updates for Vista after end of support - Windows Server 2008 patches before you ensured that Vista SP2 was fully patched to April 2017 when extended supported ended for this OS ended (a very bad idea), and you now have newer Windows Server 2008 patches preventing installation of older Vista SP2 updates like KB4014661.

I'd suggest you manually uninstall KB4021558 (and every other Windows Server 2008 update you installed) from Control Panel | Programs | Programs and Features | View Installed Updates and then re-boot.  That might allow the original update for IE9 (KB982861, released March 2011) that repeatedly failed on 16-Jan-2018 to run to completion or at least allow IE9 to open correctly.  Uninstalling KB4021558 and re-booting might even allow you to patch your IE9 browser with KB4014661 as instructed in post # 11.
-----------

Edited by lmacri, 17 January 2018 - 10:41 AM.

#14 mike_shupp

mike_shupp

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 PM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:39 PM

A couple of other thoughts.  Your PC seems to be running really warm, and on general principles you might want to reduce the load on it.  For comparison, my system puts a warning message up when the CPU temperature exceeds 65 degrees C.  You're 16 degrees over that.  You might want to right click on the bottom toolbar, bright up Task Manager, and see what's keeping your machine so hot.  I'll guess, from my own experience, that you've got multiple Internet Explorer windows open, and they're each sucking up 10% or so of your PC's power. 

Not a good thing.  Shut down a few websites is my perscription, maybe shut all of them down or all but one.  Go off and play a hand or two of Solitaire -- that's just a coulple minutes and your PC temperature will probably drop ten degrees or so.

Next, since you know the way to the Control Panel's Uninstall screen, get rid of some of your Java installations.  The latest version of Java is 8.151.  You don't need anything else and having 5 other versions compete with each other whenever you start IE isn't doing wonders for you.  Cut the clutter.  You might even run an eye over that whole screen and see if there's anything else to eliminate.

Thirdly,  Internet Explorer has its virtues -- It's comfortable, it's familiar, and I'm using it right now -- but also some defects.  It can't handle HTML 5 for instance.  You can't post messages on sites that use Disqus.  And so on.  YOU NEED AN ALTERNATIVE.   If not as your primary web browser, at least as something to bring up when IE9 isn't doing the job.   Firefox v52.5 ESR has been recommended by about a zillion people, so you might take that into account.

#15 esrman

esrman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 11:09 PM

"I'll guess, from my own experience, that you've got multiple Internet Explorer windows open, and they're each sucking up 10% or so of your PC's power."

Apparently you haven`t read all the posts I made to this thread.

i`ve stated at least 3 times IE9( absolutely does NOT WORK AT ALL!!

So why would I have ANY instances of it open,let alone on different websites which it will NOT go to at all.

Howie

Edited by esrman, 17 January 2018 - 11:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users