Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hyperlinks in Excel Not Working Anymore

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Fixitmom

Fixitmom

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:06 AM

I actually have two connected questions. 

1)   I'm still running Excel 2007and after using CCleaner to cleanup my registry and remove some startup programs, I've discovered that hyperlinks in Excel no longer work.

When I click on hyperlinks, I get the message "This operation has been canceled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator."

I've searched for answers on this.  The only solutions I've seen are for Outlook and the solutions don't seem to apply,

I AM the Administrator and my personal account has all permissions.

Still running Windows 7 Professional. 

Any ideas how to fix?

Sure appreciate it!

2)  Is there any software out there that you trust that will not only clean and free up space on an older PC but also fix errors (including missing, important, Windows updates), etc.?   I know just enough about the subject to get in trouble, so I'm looking for a cleanup/error correcting suite.  

Thanks for your opinions!  

Edited by Fixitmom, 16 January 2018 - 08:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,547 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:16 PM

I think your best bet to recover the hyperlink function would be to uninstall and re-install MS Office, assuming you still have the install disc. This will not affect any of your Office work files such as spreadsheets and documents. I suspect your problem is caused by your attempt to "cleanup my registry" and is a good example of why the use of registry cleaners is not recommended on BC.

I don't know of any 'suite' that will do what you want. CCleaner is an excellent tool for removing temporary files and Windows update itself should tell you of any updates that have not been installed. The command line tool SFC /Scannow will tell you of any windows files errors.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:59 AM

Sorry to hear of your problems. If you will refer back to post #3 in your other thread, I mentioned that it is wise to turn off the register cleaner option in CCleaner; I suspect that is what happened. The register is way too detailed and complicated for a general cleaner to go stomping around in there. Actually, you are lucky it didn't brick your computer. That has happened to some.

As to your present issue, Chris' suggestion is the only way to fix it. Or...if that doesn't work, use your backup to restore your OS and that should do it. Hopefully you keep current backups daily or weekly so you don't lose too much data. Check carefully before you restore.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 Fixitmom

Fixitmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:10 PM

Posted 20 January 2018 - 02:57 PM

Thanks so much for your helpful responses!

Chris, not sure how to use the command line tool SFC /Scannow.  Start then run?  I'm missing something.  And, I have newer copies of MS Office.  Not going to install until a complete backup, just in case I need to restart my computer.  That makes me shudder.

Ranchhand, you are indeed correct.  I'm lucky that I didn't turn my computer into a doorstop.  I don't plan to shut it down, though, until I can get my new backup drive hooked up and make certain everything is backed up.

Funny story:  Back in the Gateway computer days (Yes, I'm that old.  Ha!) I was having computer problems and called the manufacturer for some help.  The tech support guy  told me I needed to "flash the Bios."  I did and the computer promptly died.  When I told him that, HE JUST HUNG UP THE PHONE!!!  When I called back, I either couldn't get through or they didn't have any advice for me.  I was cooked.

This was smack in the middle of dealing with other stressful events and I think I cried for two days.  Back then there WAS no bleepingcomputer.com, let alone Geek Squad types of places. 

In my tiny business I WAS my own tech support and in that role, I should have been fired!  LOL

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users