Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Removing Norton AV from W10 PC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rocks911

rocks911

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:01 AM

I am resurrecting my daughters PC. I updated to Windows 10 and everything is great except for eliminating Norton. Im afraid my daugter had succumbed to Symantec's ransom and purchased their product because the nag sreen wore her down.
Im now trying, without success, to rid this PC of Norton.
I have followed several threads at Symantec about its removal to no avail. I have several hours invested in removing this (virus really) and it just keeps reappearing. I have used the Norton removal tool to no avail. I have tried to delete C: users/public/public downloads/Norton (which one thread on Symantec recommended) and although I am logged in as Administrator it wont let me delete.
How do I get rid of this insidious virus?

Any help would be appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:13 AM

Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up and create numerous files, folders, and registry entries in various locations making it more difficult to remove than most applications.

The correct way to remove most Anti-virus programs is from within its program group Uninstall shortcut in Start Menu > All Programs or by using Apps & features in Windows 10 or Programs and Features (Add/Remove Programs) in Control Panel.In some instances uninstalling may fail, not work properly or result in continued detection by another anti-virus program after removal. Most anti-virus vendors provide clean-up utilities (removal tools) on their web sites to remove remnants left behind after uninstalling, or for a failed uninstall or failed reinstall. Remnants include related registry entries, files and folders created in various areas of the OS. It's always best to download directly from the vendor's site to ensure you are using the most current version of the uninstall utility as it is not uncommon for third-party hosting sites to have outdated versions which may not work properly.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:21 AM

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:49 AM

Hi, rocks911!

And, if the Norton Removal Tool does not work properly, you should restart Windows in Safe Mode, because, in which Norton will not run by default, and will as such not interfere with the uninstall.

Information on how to enter Safe Mode: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/#windows10

Important note: While in Safe Mode, please right-click the Norton Removal Tool and select Run As Administrator.

Good luck! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#4 rocks911

rocks911
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:09 AM

A combination of the Norton uninstaller, deleting C: users/public/public downloads/Norton, running CCleaner all while booted into Safe Mode seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the replies.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:38 PM

You're welcome on behalf of the Bleeping Computer community.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users