Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue screen when trying to load Windows 8.1

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Zenati

Zenati

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:47 AM

Hello,

I did a clean install of Windows 8.1 today since Windows 10 has been causing a lot of trouble on my computer. I won't get into that here, since I'm totally fine with Windows 8.1 anyway. However, I'm unable to load Windows. Everything worked perfectly after the installation, but after restarting the computer, it won't let me get to the login screen. Instead, it displays the typical logo (Not the Windows logo, but the startup logo) followed by a blue screen which stays there until the computer is turned off. It's not your typical BSOD, though - it's a completely blue screen with the same hue as the Windows 8 media creation tool uses, and I can even move my mouse around. It's as if it's stuck in the installation mode or something (though I'm no expert). On the other hand, I'm fairly sure it's correctly installed. I followed a thorough step-by-step guide as I went through the installation process, made sure that everything was done correctly, and even double-checked after installing Windows. My only guess is that the problem could be in the BIOS Settings (which are, however, set to default), but I'd rather not change anything there by myself. Anyhow, I'm sure the problem could also be somewhere else since my knowledge in this area is very limited.

EDIT: I tried various troubleshooting tools from the Windows 8 installation media to no avail, including commands "Chkdsk C: /r" and "Sfc /Scannow /OFFBOOTDIR=C:/OFFWINDIR=C:\Windows" in the command prompt. First command said that "Windows has made corrections to the file system. No further action is required." Second command said that "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Specs:

Uses UEFI DualBIOS

Originally came with Windows 8

i7-4770K @ 3.50 GHz processor

GeForce GTX 780 graphics card

Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB

8GB RAM

I look forward to hearing some wise words. If you need any more info, just ask.

Edited by Zenati, 16 January 2018 - 07:35 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 PM

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:22 AM

Please run sfc /scannow.  Do not add anything to this command, let it run normally. 

To find sfc /scannow log open the Command Prompt, copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log %userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt

This will place the log on your desktop.  Copy and paste the log at the host website I've suggested below.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Zenati

Zenati
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 31 January 2018 - 04:14 PM

When I run "sfc /scannow", it just says "Beginning verification phase of system scan. Verification 100% complete. Windows Resource Protection could not perform the requested operation." Besides, I can't get to my desktop anyway, since my only options are to go to the blue screen (when booting through my computer) OR to perform (useless) repairs/reinstall Windows (when booting through my USB with installation media). The thing is that, while I am able to reinstall Windows, the same thing happens as soon as I restart my computer after installing it; I either go to the blue screen, or I repair/reinstall with USB.

I'm starting to wonder if the problem is in the BIOS or the partitions, but even that doesn't make sense to me since I have made sure that Windows is installed properly - at least according to every guide I have seen on Windows forums. This is the case for both Windows 8 and Windows 10 (though Windows 10 gets a black screen rather than a blue screen). 

Edited by Zenati, 31 January 2018 - 04:14 PM.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 11:35 AM

If you have done at least a couple of fresh installations of the operating system and still have the same problem it seem likely that either you installation media is buggy or you have a hardware issue.

Did you run the Command Prompt as an administrator?  Please use the instructions below to run the Command Prompt (Admin).

Please run System File Checker.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Important:  There will be a short message at the end of the scan informing you of the results.  If you receive the message "no integrity violations were found" you don't need to do anything else, no corrupt files were found.  You should watch the scan to see the results at the end of the scan.

You should not do anything else with the computer while this scan is running.  Do not stop the scan as this can damage Windows files.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

To open the Command Prompt as an Administrator please do the following.

Click/tap on the Taskbar Search icon (magnifing glass) and type cdm.

You will see Command Prompt under Best match, right click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log open the Command Prompt, copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

copy %windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log %userprofile%\Desktop\cbs.txt

This will place the log on your desktop.  Copy and paste the log at the host website I've suggested below.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Please run chkdsk /r if this is a HHD, or chkdsk /f if you are using a SSD.

To run chkdsk /r or /f you will need to open the Elevated Command Prompt.  

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the X key to open the Quick Link Menu.

Select Command Prompt (Admin).

When the Command Prompt opens copy and paste the command below, then press Enter.

If this is a HDD use this command:  chkdsk /r

If this is a SSD use this command:  chkdsk /f

This will automatically start the chkdsk /f scan.

Please stay with the computer while this is running.  There will be a message shown after the scan has completed, please post this message in your topic.

As the scan runs you will see a running percentage of the scan at the bottom of the scan.

Edited by dc3, 01 February 2018 - 11:44 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 12 February 2018 - 11:56 AM

Is there any way to get sfc & dism to work correctly in Windows 8.1 Pro ?

Sorry to intercede in this thread.

https://s13.postimg.org/3ozu61687/screenshot_31.jpg

Please only those who have had problems with sfc & dism & actually fixed them need respond.

Learn to take screenshots & add them to your posts. :thumbup2:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

Learn to use Google Search.  :busy:

Make full system images to restore to if your computer goes bonkers.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:58 PM

Please only those who have had problems with sfc & dism & actually fixed them need respond.

Obviously you haven't read all of this topic.  If you had you would have found your answer in post #4.

#7 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:33 PM

Obviously you haven't read all of this topic.  If you had you would have found your answer in post #4.

Is this really necessary? How about: Hey man, check out post #4 above :) 

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,608 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 01:47 PM

I apologize if my response seems strident, but it does become tiresome to find members trying to contribute but have neglected to read the whole topic first so they are aware of what has been suggested and/or acted on. :thumbup2:

#9 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:08 PM

Hello,

I respect your expertise.

I read post # 4.

I have worked on this issue for the last 2 or so years.

I tried the Source option with Limit Access.

From mounted iso files & from extracted iso files on a usb drive.

A long time ago both sfc & dism cmds in Admin cmd prompts worked just fine.

None of the options worked.

I tried changes in syntax.

No go.

I tried Microsoft with RPC.

They just screwed up my computer.

I was able to restore using Macrium Reflect system images. :)

It is a known fact Microsoft screwed up sfc & probably dism too with a Windows Update.

Google it.

I installed Windows 10 Pro & ran the sfc & dism commands with no errors.

They worked good in Windows 10 Pro.

I am only left with the assumption Microsoft screwed up sfc & dism in 8.1 on purpose to get people to buy/switch to Windows 10.

I read my log files for sfc & dism in 8.1.

There were only about 2 errors in each log file.

Nothing of any importance.

Everything else was fixed.

My computer runs good with 8.1 Pro.

Even with sfc & dism not working like they are supposed to.

I wish there were 3RD party programs that did the jobs of sfc & dism.

Hello,

I respect your expertise.

I read post # 4.

I have worked on this issue for the last 2 or so years.

I tried the Source option with Limit Access.

From mounted iso files & from extracted iso files on a usb drive.

A long time ago both sfc & dism cmds in Admin cmd prompts worked just fine.

None of the options worked.

I tried changes in syntax.

No go.

I tried Microsoft with RPC.

They just screwed up my computer.

I was able to restore using Macrium Reflect system images. :)

It is a known fact Microsoft screwed up sfc & probably dism too with a Windows Update.

Google it.

I installed Windows 10 Pro & ran the sfc & dism commands with no errors.

They worked good in Windows 10 Pro.

I am only left with the assumption Microsoft screwed up sfc & dism in 8.1 on purpose to get people to buy/switch to Windows 10.

I read my log files for sfc & dism in 8.1.

There were only about 2 errors in each log file.

Nothing of any importance.

Everything else was fixed.

My computer runs good with 8.1 Pro.

Even with sfc & dism not working like they are supposed to.

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43088/how-to-capture-and-edit-a-screen-shot/#entry4532851

#10 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:24 PM

I apologize if my response seems strident, but it does become tiresome to find members trying to contribute but have neglected to read the whole topic first so they are aware of what has been suggested and/or acted on. :thumbup2:

Agreed and no worries! You've got a lot of respect on here. Keep up the good work! I am a General Manager of a retail, independently owned paint store, meaning: IT, HR, Credit, plumbing, electrician, so I know the word tiresome. :)

#11 xrobwx

xrobwx

• Members
  • 170 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2018 - 02:33 PM

Make your own script....

Open notepad, copy/paste into the txt file

sfc /scannow

PAUSE
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
PAUSE

save as .bat file.

right click on .bat file and run as admin. 

You can add other commands but always on a separate line and add the pause in between so you can see the output, otherwise the command window will close.

#12 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:15 AM

Make your own script....

Open notepad, copy/paste into the txt file

sfc /scannow

PAUSE
PAUSE

save as .bat file.

right click on .bat file and run as admin. 

You can add other commands but always on a separate line and add the pause in between so you can see the output, otherwise the command window will close.

I have done this with batch files too.

I do have a bit of know-how stemming back to msdos & windows 3.

I trained myself in html4.

I appreciate everyones' input.

I still think Microsoft has screwed up sfc & dism.

Just to ger people to migrate to W10.

I could be wrong but I don't think so.

#13 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:25 AM

My batch file---

sfc /scannow
sfc /scannow
pause

#14 medab1

medab1

• Members
  • 844 posts
  •  

Posted 14 February 2018 - 06:31 AM

Make a shortcut of your batch file to run as administrator--

screenshot_31.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users