Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer only receiving half power!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Kane87

Kane87

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:01 PM

Hi guys,

I built a gaming pc a few years ago, and only recently turned it back on. I have a cool it vantage watercooling system, which was not working properly as I needed to change a setting in the bios. I read online that you can plug the connector straight into the computer power supply.

I did this, and now the water cooler is dead. (Screen should light up). And the fan turns for about 1 second, then stops.

The computer itself, boots up fine, (only error message is about the cpu fan not running).

The motherboard and all the components are receiving power, except for the case itself. Anything directly connected to the mobo works fine.

System specs are below:-

Asus P868 V pro mobo
Intel core i7 2600k cpu
8GB ram
60gb ssd
1TB HDD
Asus nvidia GTX550ti graphics card
Cool it vantage water cooler
Win 7 pro 64bit
Thermeltake level 10 GT case
700w power supply

Computer gets power, case and the water cooler gets virtually no power:(!

I have changed the power connections in the power supply, still no luck. Computer boots, and runs fine, although due to no cooling runs about 40-50deg C

I have booted up the pc to troubleshoot, but am scared running it because the processor doesnt have adequate cooling.

I have checked all connections on the mobo, although I havent disconnected the water cooler, as it is a pain, I did try the power fan connector in the cpu and the power case fan socket, but this still doesnt run the cooler. I am annoyed, as for some reason the case isnt providing power. (Buttons for fans etc dont work, power and reset do, as these are connected to the mobo.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,315 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 AM

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:47 AM

Power supply manufacturer and model?

#3 Kane87

Kane87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:51 AM

Aerocool V12XT 700w

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,315 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:18 PM

PSU is acceptable quality.

What do you actually mean saying "case does not get power"? So what exactly there are on "case" that needs power except water cooler? To put it in another way: what else than water cooler is not working?

#5 Kane87

Kane87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:41 PM

Hi drilling machine,

So the case has fans built in, these are not connected to the slots on the motherboard (like the cooler with the cpu fan connection) these run directly from one of the power cables from memory. I did take the side of the case off and check this connection. There is a crapload of black cabeling which goes to one direct power connection, which connects straight to the direct power supply cable, this is located on the case behind where the motherboard is mounted.

So as far as I can tell, the fan buttons to run the case cooling, and lighting are not working. Not sure on the usb connections, although these are connected straight to the motherboard, not the power supply directly. The power and reset case buttons work perfectly, but these are plugged straight into the motherboard. Only thing I can think, is I have somehow shorted out the water cooler, but that doesnt explain why the fan still spins for a second on boot. Screen for water cooler does not light up with temperature etc like it should, which makes me think part of it is dead. I have checked everything apart from taking the water cooler off the cpu, as it is fiddly. If I have shorted or killed part of the water cooler, it doesnt explain why I dont have case fan power and lighting also. Thanks for the reply:)

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,315 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:17 PM

Oh well. That sounds very strange. I would try plugging case into PSU wire that surely works. So if you have something that works plugged into spesific PSU connector and case accepts same connector, try that.

It's also possible some connections are messed up or water pump (or something else) is causing some kind of short circuit situation.

#7 Kane87

Kane87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:29 PM

Hi drill machine!,

Ok so I had another look, seems like I had accidentally disconnected the power from the case! So the case fans led buttons etc are running perfectly! Reason being, the cable I used to connect the pump was on the same cable that the case was connected to.

The cooler is still quite dead. Is their any other diagnostic testing I can do to make sure the motherboard fan connections are working properly? (Fan only runs for about a revolution or two during boot, which I assume is why I get a perfect post beep, then about 5 seconds after the fan warning comes on.

The cooler is still quite dead, the fan does spin for a revolution or two then stops:( Screen does not light up etc.

Should I purchase a new cooler, or is their any other testing I can do. I am fairly sure Dad has a electrical multimeter.

Ps I like in Australia, so if you make any product suggestions keep it in mind:)

Thanks,

Kane

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:36 AM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:48 AM

I presume the water pump is powered by the CPU fan header normally?  You can test whether the header is working either with a meter (carefully - do not short out the pins) or by substitution - connecting another fan (any old 3 or 4 pin case fan will do) to the header and seeing if it works. If I'm reading it correctly you've already connected the water cooler directly to the power supply and it didn't work that way either.  So it may be a reasonable assumption that the water cooler is dead, and you might want to replace it.  You don't have to replace it with another AIO cooler, air coolers can perform just as well unless you're talking really large AIO's with double/triple size radiators.  Which replacement will depend on whether your processor is overclocked etc.

7sbvuf-6.png

#9 Kane87

Kane87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 02:48 PM

Thanks, I did go during lunch at work, and picked up a antec cooler with a huge heat sink for only $29 Australian dollars. Which I thought was inexpensive. Installing it was a absolute pain in the arse, and I ended up installing it the wrong way, So I had to reinstall it:(

I got home; plugged it into the cpu power port, and the fan worked correctly. The fan is facing the rear of the case, as this is the only way I could get the mounting clips to click in, as one side is touching the mobo heatsink.

Couple more questions:-

1)The front of the case has usb3 ports etc, where the cable plugs into the motherboard, one of the pins is bent, so these dont work; is their a solution? (Dont want to really bend the pin back, would be quite fiddly). Not a dig deal if their isnt, as I have I think 2 or 3 at the back on the mobo.

2) case supports 5 Hdds with hot swappable bays, I only have 4 ports on the mobo for Sata. I have 1 dvd rw and 2 hdds connected, so I only have 1 free port. How does esata Work? As I have a port on the back of the pc.

#10 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,315 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 03:15 PM

1. If pin is bent, without bending it back it would not work.

2. That's probably just eSATA port, you need eSATA device for that and also power supply to HDD as eSATA does not include power delivery. That makes eSATA pretty much pointless as USB 3.0 can handle almost same and still offer 4.5 watts of power.

#11 Kane87

Kane87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:57 PM

Yeah sweet, no worries there. Although with only 4 sata ports on the mobo, I am only limited to 4 Sata devices correct?

And yes with the connection to the USB ports on the front, it is a fairly big pin cable probably about 12 pins or so. The reason I asked, is I have a smaller usb header connection that is usb 3.0 on the bottom of the board, so I was wondering if their was a adapter?

But thanks for all your help you have been great:)

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,315 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:48 AM

4 SATA devices unless you use USB-SATA adapater or PCIe SATA card or something else that gives more SATA connectors.

Picture from "big pin cable"? USB connector that goes into motherboard header has 20 pins.

#13 Kane87

Kane87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:37 PM

Sorry apologies, I didnt look at everything properly:)

I have 8 Sata connectors. 2 on a storage controller, and 6 other ones. (Some 6gb/s other ones are 3gb/s) and the pin I thought was a usb 3 is actually a usb2 header. I suppose if I want to use ports on the front, it would be easier to buy a hub and connect it to he rear ports. The aero cooler is very efficient, I dont even think I will worry about water cooling atm. The cpu is kept at about 20deg C. Which was cooler than the water cooler ever kept it anyway, as I couldnt find the thermal fan regulation setting in the bios.

I might eventually get water cooling, can get a Corsair H80i for about $120.

few things first: monitor as my old one is pre hdmi, another hdd since I have 5 bays to utilize and some virus scan. My processor is still extremely quick even though it is a 2nd generation i7 2600k.

#14 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,315 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 05:53 AM

You should have at least two USB 3.0 ports on front via motherboard header. Question is do you have real use for USB 2.0 ports.

I doubt you get much advantage from water cooler.

#15 Kane87

Kane87
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:51 AM

Yeah I agree with why you are saying. Was looking at a half decent graphics card today. Most are pci-e 3.0 (16x) my motherboard only supports pci-e 2.0.

Are these newer cards totally incomparable?

Yeah with the usb3.0 header, I just think I will leave it, I honestly dont want to fiddle with the pins at all!

I know my processer is a little old by todays standards, but from what I see online, they still hold up quite well. It certainly is quicker than my core i5 laptop.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users