Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell XPS 15 Freezes on Battery Power

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 dashnick

dashnick

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:41 PM

My Dell XPS 15 (9550) freezes after being on battery power for 15-20 minutes.   Becomes unresponsive, need hard power cycle to restart.  (Note I don't have any issues when charger is plugged in.)

Seems like maybe a power issue, as I've noticed the audio and keyboard/trackpad fail first, and display fails last.

I though it might be the hard drive turning itself off, but I disabled that in Windows settings and this does not make a difference.  (It's an SSD anyway).

I am using Windows 10 version 1709 Build 16299.192, but this has been happening for a while. 16 GB Ram, 1 TB SSD, Intel Core i7-6700HQ @2.6 GHZ

Please let me know if any other info would be helpful.  Thanks very much in advance for any help.

Edit: Note I've run all the Dell diagnostics, and it passes all of them.

Edited by dashnick, 15 January 2018 - 08:44 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:11 PM

Possibly a bad battery, even fairly new not unheard of.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,990 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:06 PM

If the hang occurs only on battery power, I suspect a power plan problem. Most OEM laptops are automatically set to run an economy power plan whilst on battery power, providing less power to hardware. While this is good for battery life, these type of settings can cause performance issues and sometimes hard hangs.

I would suggest you change your power plan, on battery especially, to "high performance" for troubleshooting purposes - https://www.howtogeek.com/240840/should-you-use-the-balanced-power-saver-or-high-performance-power-plan-on-windows/ And you need to go into the "advanced settings" of that "High Performance" power plan ensuring that all the settings are set to highest-performance level, especially any graphics card related settings, whether battery or "plugged in."

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#4 dashnick

dashnick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:26 PM

Thanks, this was one of the first things I tried.  I double checked and all the settings are maxed out even in battery mode.  Any other ideas?

#5 dashnick

dashnick
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:38 PM

FYI, I found a suggestion on another forum to delete the battery in device manager, thus forcing re-installation of the battery driver.  This seems to have solved the problem.

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,990 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:29 PM

Thanks for the update, glad to hear that!

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users