Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Your opinion on the best "clean up your old bleeping PC" software?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Fixitmom

Fixitmom

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 PM

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:48 PM

Hello to all of the brilliant people here who've helped me out before!  (Uh...that's probably about 90% of you)

I've been experiencing some computer weirdness over the past couple of weeks and I'd really like to know if there is a trustworthy, efficient software program for a computer running Windows 7 Pro, that will identify and repair problems to make it run more efficiently.

Back in the day when there was hardly any kind of software like that and AOL came out with ITS version, I found it to be a "bloated bug farm" and completely unreliable when I tried it out on a family member's computer.   I've been suspicious ever since.  I like CCleaner, but am hesitant to use it just yet because I don't understand all of its options.

Now that there are more versions of the "clean up your PC" type of software, I'm interested in your opinions and would also like to know if there is a neutral, respected Website that has evaluated these types of programs and offers unbiased recommendations?

Helpful answers appreciated as always!

Thanks in advance!

Edited by hamluis, 16 January 2018 - 08:31 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to All Other Apps - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 08:28 AM

What makes you believe...that any of the program types you seem to have this belief about...actually have any merit and fulfill the "promises" or "claims" that are made?

As far as I know...there is no application that can overcome every obstacle that any Windows user may face, be it Win 7 or any other version, past or present.

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494

Louis

Sometimes..."more" does not mean that any of the statements made...have any validity.

Edited by hamluis, 16 January 2018 - 08:30 AM.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 16 January 2018 - 11:22 AM

The only general "cleanup" program that I would trust is the free version of Ccleaner. In my opinion, do not enable the register cleaner, that is just too chancy. Be sure to disable the add-on of Avast in lower left corner of the screen.

If you know how to hack the registry you can disable the monitoring option; there is no need to have it constantly loading on every boot. Another general tool that is useful is TFC (Temp File Cleaner) by OldTimer. It can find literally gigs of old temp files that are sitting on your drive. Note that I, personally, have not tested this on Windows 10, but I use it all the time on W7 and earlier versions. I usually run both of these utilities before making my weekly backups. I see no point in backing up large megs of useless junk files.

Just a side thought....there are multitudinous "registry cleaners" out there that claim to "clean" your register. Stay away from all of them, many are scams that will install junkware, adware, and sometimes serious viruses. They also could seriously damage the register which will brick your computer.

program for a computer running Windows 7 Pro, that will identify and repair problems to make it run more efficiently.

There are no such programs, and if you run across any websites that claim this, run like a scared rabbit. I guarantee hands-down that they will install a virus, or damage your system. If such a program existed, don't you think Microsoft would be the first one to make it available for Windows? It would save them a ton of complaints and user problems, right?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 Fixitmom

Fixitmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:38 PM

What makes you believe...that any of the program types you seem to have this belief about...actually have any merit and fulfill the "promises" or "claims" that are made?

As far as I know...there is no application that can overcome every obstacle that any Windows user may face, be it Win 7 or any other version, past or present.

Registry cleaner - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494

Louis

Sometimes..."more" does not mean that any of the statements made...have any validity.

Hi Louis!

Thanks for your input! 

What makes me believe that "such a critter" exists?

The short answer is:  I'm not YOU!  My experience in this wonderful PC repair arena is practically nonexistent in comparison to people like you!

I'm grateful that this forum exists, for people like me!

A followup question:  Were you moi, what would YOU do to restore Windows 7 Pro to pristine condition? 

(I'm seriously thinking about backing up everything on a new 8TB external drive, uninstalling/deleting all/most files, researching how to permanently delete sensitive family data and then taking the pooter to a place like Geek Squad to reinstall Windows 7 Pro. )

But I'd love to read your opinion.

Thanks again!

P.S. I've thought about getting a "professional" version of Windows 10, but I don't have the time to learn another system right now.

#5 Fixitmom

Fixitmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:45 PM

The only general "cleanup" program that I would trust is the free version of Ccleaner. In my opinion, do not enable the register cleaner, that is just too chancy. Be sure to disable the add-on of Avast in lower left corner of the screen.

If you know how to hack the registry you can disable the monitoring option; there is no need to have it constantly loading on every boot. Another general tool that is useful is TFC (Temp File Cleaner) by OldTimer. It can find literally gigs of old temp files that are sitting on your drive. Note that I, personally, have not tested this on Windows 10, but I use it all the time on W7 and earlier versions. I usually run both of these utilities before making my weekly backups. I see no point in backing up large megs of useless junk files.

Just a side thought....there are multitudinous "registry cleaners" out there that claim to "clean" your register. Stay away from all of them, many are scams that will install junkware, adware, and sometimes serious viruses. They also could seriously damage the register which will brick your computer.

program for a computer running Windows 7 Pro, that will identify and repair problems to make it run more efficiently.

There are no such programs, and if you run across any websites that claim this, run like a scared rabbit. I guarantee hands-down that they will install a virus, or damage your system. If such a program existed, don't you think Microsoft would be the first one to make it available for Windows? It would save them a ton of complaints and user problems, right?

Hi Ranchhand!

Thanks so much for your input and cautions!  I've already blown it I think, when it comes to some of the things you mentioned but golly it's good to know I can avoid more disasters in my efforts to make Windows 7 Professional Pro "beautiful" again. 

When you write "disable the monitoring," do you mean Avast?

I like your "scared rabbit," quote.  I'm already at the starting gate on that one, after getting hit by malware a couple of years ago.  Thank Heavens for encrypted backup files!

Thanks again!

#6 Fixitmom

Fixitmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:57 PM

By the way, I've also posted two unrelated questions about a couple of very significant (for me) issues that I really need to fix, because I'm in the middle of some urgent family projects. 

Because of the first one, I'm actually afraid to shut down my 'pooter.   Safe mode has always been a safe haven for me and not being able to use it for more than a few seconds really has me worried. 

Seems these threads are getting lots of views, but an honest-to-goodness "Wizard of Oz" hasn't shown up yet.  I'm guessing that's because the threads are buried a bit.  

If you know anyone who can help, I'd surely be most appreciative if he/she would take a whack at some answers!

1)  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/668245/computer-screen-goes-to-black-in-safe-mode/

2)  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/668235/hyperlinks-in-excel-not-working-anymore/

You're a great group!  So glad you're here.  I promote this place whenever I can.  Just last week I said to some friends in a womens' group,

"If you don't know anything about malware, get over to bleepingcomputer.com now, now now!."

Adios for now!  Thanks in advance!

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,623 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:22 AM

When you write "disable the monitoring," do you mean Avast?

I think you are referring to the comment I was making on Ccleaner. When installed, it puts an entry in the CURRENT_USER/RUN hive in the register, and every time you boot the computer it loads a scanner that supposedly monitors the hard drive, and when it decides that you need to "clean" it again it notifies you. Many programs do the same thing, and after a few years there are a ton of these useless things loading every time you boot, and then the computer begins to slow down. There is no need to run Ccleaner weekly; once a month is plenty for most users, and I only run it when making semi-weekly backups. I suggest that if you don't want the monitor loading, just delete the program after use. It only takes a few seconds to reinstall it again next time.

Oh well, as long as we are on the subject....

There are two programs that are excellent for removing adware and "nuisance-ware" programs that will increase your load and run time. I suggest running them maybe once every 6 months or so. They are safe and will not damage your system. They are free, just download, install and let them remove anything they find. You might want to review the log they create afterward just to see what junk you had on your drive.

JRT (Junkware Removal Tool).  On that same web page, scroll down and you will see ADWcleaner; download and run that one also. I suggest that each time you run them, re-download from the BC site I linked to; the publishers regularly update them to detect new junkware and so you always want the latest versions.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,554 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:03 PM

Well...when I have problems that I believe are rooted in the O/S and I don't want to spend more than 24 hours trying to overcome...I just do a clean install.

I do routine backups of my data files and I don't have any fear of reinstalling Windows or reinstalling programs.  I can be restored within about 48 hours.  That's not much time when I consider that many of the topics posted here...will cover something in excess of 48 hours and sometimes there is no resolution at the end of 48 hours.

I have multiple computers so I really do have the time to waste if it comes to dealing with one...but I don't have the patience when it's so easy to just start over and not worry about why the O/S has gone bad.

If a pristine system is the goal...a clean install provides that.

Louis

#9 Fixitmom

Fixitmom
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 03:06 PM

Thanks ever so much for the helpful replies!!

Ranchhand, do you know if either of those computers require a computer restart?

Hamluis,  you make a great point.  If memory serves, my computer manufacturer--of the "he who shall not be named," type,  was too cheap to include re-install software, so to do as you suggest, I'd need to use the system restore cd I made.  I DO know I have something to reinstall, and perhaps it's time to do so.  Either that or go on Ebay and get a cheap copy of Windows Professional 7!

If I were to go that route, would I need to erase my hard drive prior to a reinstall?

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users