Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Credentials Manager deletes all credentials if logged out for 30 minutes

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tabbiekatt

tabbiekatt

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:35 PM

Environment: Win7 SP1, Domain Controller/File Sever w/Server 2012 R2, Office 365

I have 3 workstations at a client site with this issue (2x Office 2016, 1x Office 2010).  It started with one PC, then a second started having the issue a month or so later, followed by a third after a few more months.  At this time, there are 5 other PCs on site that are working fine.  For the affected PCs, as long as you're logged in, there is no password prompt.  If you log out & log back in (or restart and log back in), there is no password prompt.  If you turn off the PC, turn it back on and log in immediately, there is no password prompt.  It's only if the PC is on while you're logged out for 20-30 min.  Then you will be prompted the next time you log in.  I don't see anything in Event Viewer that would indicate why this is happening.

Client logs out each night and in each morning and thus is prompted to sign into OneDrive and Outlook.  I've tried deleting all credentials from Credentials Manager, creating new Outlook profiles, running Outlook in safe mode, flushing/reregistering DNS, creating new Windows profiles, repairing/reinstalling Office, sfc, even a couple registry edits I found online, checked for viruses/malware, I've changed O365 passwords and Windows account passwords, I even completely reinstalled Windows on the first PC and the problem still occurs.  (some of these steps don't make sense because it was before I realized that everything was being deleted from Credentials Manager each time and thought there was a problem with Outlook).

Autodiscover looks fine and internal DNS has no entries for the external domain.  Opened a ticket with O365 and they couldn't find any problems with the mailboxes, Exchange, Outlook, or Autodiscover.  They referred me to the Windows team, but was told we would have to purchase a single incident as Win 7 SP1 is no longer covered under the Partner agreements.

I've completely replaced the PC for the 3rd user and as of now, everything's working fine on her new PC.  The client is unlikely to replace the other 2 PCs however, so this is not the best solution.  I would appreciate any suggestions you could provide.

(In case you google the same things as me, they do not have Carbonite, but all 3 do have newer HP printers installed.  I've tried stopping the HP update service to see if that fixes it, but it made no change)

Edited by hamluis, 15 January 2018 - 06:28 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Win NT - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnnyJammer

JohnnyJammer

• Members
  • 1,114 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:55 PM

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:26 PM

Well you basically done what i would have done so far but what autodiscover address are you using, i would make sure its country specific.

Pinging autodiscover should reply with your DNS entry, also did the company ever have exchange on the domain? If so i would clean up in ADSI Edit.

I guess you have tried using Cache on & off in outlook? Make sure there is no GPO which deletes credentials after 30minutes.

Are you also using ADSync to syn credentials to O365?

#3 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 21 January 2018 - 02:22 PM

Just a shot in the dark here, but might be useful if only to rule it out. If the users log into Outlook from a browser (https://outlook.office365.com/owa/<yourO365domain>), rather than using the Outlook client, do they have the same issue?

Edited by sflatechguy, 21 January 2018 - 02:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users