Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

having trouble with sharing calendars

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dynamo123

dynamo123

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 15 January 2018 - 04:15 PM

How do you set up a shared calendar on MS Outlook 2016 so that others people can access it and edit it etc. at any time?

I need, one main overall calendar that is accessible to around 5/6 people. So far I haven't made any progress.  I think the problem may be is that I don't have the Public Folders tab as an option on my outlook 2016? You know when you click folder list at the bottom, it should come up.  It just doesn't exist, do you know why this is?  Do you need Microsoft exchange or something? Confused, all these different programs. 

Also some tabs are shaded out like "share calendar" and "calendar permissions."  

I may need to get Office 365. Does that include options to share calendars etc.?  If so that might be the way to go.  

Or what about Google Calendars? I tried this but having trouble with that too. I shared my calendar and gave my friend full permissions to edit and manage the calendar but he can't see it on his account.  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 15 January 2018 - 06:57 PM

You would really need to have a cloud-based calendar, that's for sure.

I have shared Google Calendars, but you have to remember that the person with whom its shared needs to add that calendar to their own calendar (or existing list of calendars):

calendar_add_other_calendars.jpg 

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#3 dynamo123

dynamo123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:00 PM

Yeah I get that, but for some reason the calendar that I created for both myself and my friend does not appear on the list on my friends' account - under other calendars. 

Also in terms of sharing calendars on Outlook, this should not be that difficult as I have used shared diary/calendar before in my last work using Outlook 2010. It just needs public folder options but that's what I can't seem to get on my outlook.  

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,471 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:37 PM

Well, are you sharing on the same network?   That's the only way a public folder option could work.  I've done this via Exchange, but a long time ago.  You might be able to imitate the public folders on a LAN technique using OneDrive to store the calendar and granting permission to the calendar file to others you want to share it with.

I've had no trouble at all with Google Calendars and sharing.  Sharing Google Calendars is a cinch and once shared they should appear in the "Other Calendars" section if you shared them as follows:

1. For the calendar you wish to share, go to Settings and activate the Add People control:

cal_settings_add_people_ctrl.jpg  

2.  In the Add Person dialog, give the e-mail address (which must be for a Google Account holder) you want to share with:

add_person_redacted.jpg 

3.  In the Share with dialog, set your permissions and hit SEND:

share_with_dialog.jpg

4.  ON THE SHARED PERSON'S END, this appears:

on_shared_side.jpg 

Edited by britechguy, 16 January 2018 - 11:34 AM.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#5 dynamo123

dynamo123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 07:54 AM

Thanks for the response.  I ended up using Google calendar and it's all good, fairly straight forward. 

Currently I’m looking to have an IT overhaul for my membership organisation. What’s required is to set up one set of files/data that will be accessible to all members of the team, regardless of where they are working from. So, something like a central server where everyone can gain access to the shared information at any time from any given computer. Currently I’m looking to have an IT overhaul for my membership organisation. What’s required is to set up one set of files/data that will be accessible to all members of the team, regardless of where they are working from. So, something like a central server where everyone can gain access to the shared information at any time from any given computer.

So what I mean specifically are Excel spreadsheets for example of members details like contact numbers, email addresses etc. Right now these spreadsheets and information is only present on one computer in the office. I've just tried OneDrive, are the documents saved on here saved in real time? So we can all have access to it but when I try and open some of the docs, it saving a copy every time I click save?

Also one other thing - only one person has access to the mailbox email address on Outlook. We all need access to it, how do I go about getting this so we all have access to the mailbox?

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,471 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2018 - 12:06 PM

I don't see why you couldn't use GoogleDrive, coupled with Google Backup & Sync, for the purpose of sharing the information you propose.

No, the documents are not saved in real time, and there's virtually no case where they are unless you're working on something remotely and are saving it in the "master location" immediately upon completion.  That being said, the sync intervals on each individual's computer can be set to a time period that's short enough such that, for all practical intents and purposes, it's close enough to real time.  You can't tell me that if you save something, and it takes 5 minutes until its synced up to the cloud, and will be synced down from the cloud to all other users on their own computers on an equally short interval that this does not serve well above 99% of business purposes for the kind of data you describe.

I don't know what you mean with regard to "only one person has access to the mailbox e-mail address on Outlook."   You can set up an e-mail client, e.g., Thunderbird or standalone Outlook, using IMAP access, on as many computers and/or devices as you want that all log in to the same e-mail account.  I can see my e-mail account on the laptop I'm typing from, my smartphone, and another laptop.  On that other laptop I have it set up such that I can see it in Outlook 2010, Thunderbird, Windows Live Mail 2012, and Opera Mail all on the same machine and where each client will reflect what has occurred using another as soon as it does its own sync with the e-mail server.   You could also use the online interface, if one exists, though then everyone has to know the password for the account in order to log in to it.  You can avoid sharing the password if you use e-mail clients and have one person who knows the password set the clients up on all the hardware.

#7 dynamo123

dynamo123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2018 - 06:22 AM

Hi there, thanks for your response earlier. I decided to go for Dropbox in the end and it worked fine.  However do you know if this is still going to be ok to use with GDPR coming in at the end of May?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users