Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Won't Start and possible fan issue

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BrokenTrain

BrokenTrain

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 AM

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:48 PM

First off, I'm no computer geek so no fancy language please.

So my desktop computer shut down on it's own and now Windows 7 won't start. I've tried startup repair and also restore several times,but they do nothing. I've also tried the command prompt fix from this site, but it goes nowhere. As soon as I enter any drive letter, I get this message.C (or any letter I input) is not recognised as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file. So that is a dead end right now I guess.

I haven't changed anything but I have poked around and this is all I can tell you right now. I have the windows 7 disk that came with the computer when I bought it new. Trying to boot from it does nothing on it's own, but again I don't know exactly what I might not be doing right. I did get to a point where there was an option to install drivers to re image your computer.(system image recovery) Widows cannot find a system image on the computer and unfortunately I've never made a backup. When I click the install drivers box, a window comes up that is only looking for file types, Setup Information. System Reserved © has nothing. Local Disk (D) has folders and files. Boot (x) has folders and files.CD Drive (E) has folders and files.

One last thing. When I opened the advanced bios settings on startup it looks like I may have a fan problem. Asus motherboard. The guage we'll call it, shows red and it seems to run about 350 to 550 rpms only. This is the main fan for the case, not the fan on the motherboard. I don't know if that's normal or not. As in does it run slow normally and ramp up when the case temp gets hotter. The red bar seems to tell me no, the fan is dying. The inside of the case was very dusty, but is clean now.

I hope this is enough info to get started. I looked at some of the links and wasn't sure what to try next. Thanks for any help you can offer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:05 PM

Sounds like it has over heated, some of the internals may not have survived.  Do you see anything on screen when the power button is pushed?

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 15 January 2018 - 05:27 PM

First things first - let's worry about your data since you say you have never done a back-up. A useful tool for this on a non-running computer is Puppy Linux, I keep a copy on my desk for this very purpose. You will need access to another computer if yours isn't working.

Puppy Linux  -  HowTo

Overview :-  http://puppylinux.org/main/Overview%20and%20Getting%20Started.htm

Download ‘Lucid Puppy’ :-  http://puppylinux.org/main/How%20to%20download%20Puppy.htm

You will also need a blank CD or a USB memory stick.

The OS downloads as an ISO file which needs to be unpacked before writing to a CD or use ‘Rufus’ by Akeo to write it to a USB - https://rufus.akeo.ie/

If you are using a CD, power up your computer, open the CD drive and put the disc in, then re-boot. With a USB memory stick, plug in the stick and then boot. NOTE :-

You may need to go into your BIOS to change the boot order so that either the CD drive or the USB drive is first in order of priority,

Puppy runs entirely in RAM and once it has booted you will be able to use it to save your data to external storage..

This will NOT turn your computer into a Linux box but it will enable you to save your data before you do a re-install if that is what it takes to fix your computer.

As for your fan while it may be failing I would not expect a case fan not running to have an immediate effect on a computer, the CPU fan yes but not a case fan. The good news is that they are not very expensive and not usually difficult to swap out - 3 or 4 screws and a power supply connector, usually !

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#4 BrokenTrain

BrokenTrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 07:22 PM

Well this may be a dumb question Chris but when you refer to my data you're talking about all my files correct? Not just operating files? If that's the case I'll need an external HD for all that. Not a problem, just want to make sure I have what I need.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:23 PM

Yes, I'm only referring to your own work - documents, photos, music, whatever. This is the important stuff on your computer, if you lose it it is gone. Operating systems and applications can be replaced, that is merely tedious. But if your hard drive fails or you have to consider doing a complete system re-install - which will format your hard drive - then your data is gone, gone, gone !

This is why I and many others preach the Doctrine of Back-ups on BC, because we have suffered this in our pasts. Once you have your present problem resolved if you want advice on how to execute a back-up policy you only have to ask.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#6 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 836 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:29 PM

from what you describe it sounds like your hard drive has failed. 

#7 BrokenTrain

BrokenTrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:15 PM

I guess we'll see. I'm out in the country so it will be a few days before I get what I need, and then I'll try the Puppy route. If the hard drive failed wouldn't that affect the D drive as well? I can still see files on that drive.

#8 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,257 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 06:23 AM

It might be useful to know:

If you can tell us the model number and BIOS version of the ASUS motherboard we can check the manual to see what the fan gauge is about.

Perhaps this is what you are seeing:

[attachment=201506:Untitled.jpg]

Describe your antivirus/antimalware environment.

Keeping in mind that we can't see what you are seeing:

What do you mean Windows 7 won't start?

If you are seeing some king of error message exactly what does it say?

When Windows fails to start does the system restart on it's own and again try to start Windows or does it display some error message you will describe?

If you see Startup Repair and System Restore does that mean you are able to get to this screen:

[attachment=201482:Untitled.jpg]

When you choose Startup Repair (which might not be able to repair) exactly what happens (besides it doesn't work)?

When you choose System Restore are you offered a list of Restore Points?

If so exactly what happens when you choose a Restore Point (besides it doesn't work)?

Where did you find this "command prompt fix" you are using? 

Include a link to the command prompt fix you are using.

If your system is an OEM system it may not have come with a genuine bootable Windows 7 installation CD (most don't) and what you may have is some kind of repair CD from the manufacturer which may or may not be useful.

Does the system have a working CD/DVD drive?

If you have not done any backups you probably don't have a (Windows) system image to use as an option.

When your system restarts and before Windows starts to load and when repeatedly tapping the F8 key are you able to get to the Windows Advanced Boot Options menu:

[attachment=201483:Untitled.jpg]

If you can get to that screen describe what happens if you choose each of the following:

Safe Mode

Last Known Good Configuration (advanced)

Disable automatic restart on system failure

Edited by joseibarra, 18 January 2018 - 05:55 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#9 BrokenTrain

BrokenTrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 01:00 PM

Thanks for responding Joseibarra. I'll try to answer in order.

Asus P8H77-V       version 0803

Yes, that's the screen with the fan monitor.

Microsoft Security Essentials and Malwarebytes.

When I turn on the computer, it starts like normal at first. Asus splash screen and then Windows begins. So, "starting windows" appears, the 4 colored dots begin so swirl, and at that point if freezes. 

At that point, a blue screen with some writing flashes so fast you can't make out what's on it, and then the screen goes to a black with white writing that's titled Windows Error Recovery. That screen tells you that there was a problem, and gives you two options. Launch Startup Repair, or Start Normally. Starting normally just repeats the process, while startup repair does a check and then says it can't repair the computer automatically. At that point I can get to the second screen you posted.

Startup Repair, usually does the same thing as when I start it from the black screen. Says it can't repair the problem and gives you an option to send Microsoft information. (from a computer that won't start ?)  There is a dropdown on that screen that lists problem signatures. Of course they mean nothing to me being a layman. Oddly, a couple of times it started to load files for repair and try to fix itself, but that came to the same end, saying it couldn't be fixed automaticaly.

System Restore. Scanning for affected programs comes up, none detected. I get 3 restore points, the oldest being two weeks before the problem. It doesn't matter which one I choose, the results are the same. System Restore did not complete successfully. Unspecified error occurred. (0x8000ffff).

The "command prompt fix" I found somewhere on this site, and now I can't find it. But, it just involves bringing up the command prompt box and inputting some things. The first thing it tells you though is to find out which drive is your system drive by typing in the drive letters and seeing what comes up. But again all I get is the message, C (or any letter I input) is not recognised as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file. So nothing was changed, I just closed it out.

The Cd came with the system, which was built by an independent shop in a nearby city. Windows Home Premium, came with a 24 page booklet and appears to be a full version. But I'm not sure. 

The cd/dvd drive is working. It sounds as though the hard drive is also working.

No backup, so no system image.

This is weird. That screen came up the very first time, and I chose start normally, as I have done before (shutdowns during power outages) and have never had a problem. Since then, it's only come up once, and I chose Safe mode. All that did was exactly the same as normal mode, but with the safe mode printing in the corners of the screen. Now when I tap the f8 key, all is does is give me a box to select the boot device.

#10 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,151 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 02:55 PM

Not sure if this will help in your case!  Can you access Safe Mode?

http://www.errorlive.com/error-code-0x8000ffff

Edited by OldPhil, 18 January 2018 - 02:55 PM.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#11 BrokenTrain

BrokenTrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:25 PM

Yes but it only lets me get to the restore setting, which is doing nothing.

#12 BrokenTrain

BrokenTrain
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2018 - 08:49 PM

Fixed!!! 

So first, I took Chris's advice and used Puppy Linux to boot up. Once I knew I could get into my files, I bought an external HD with 3TB capacity. Then I copied all my C drive over to it. Wasn't sure what I'd need so I copied it all. 

Once that was done, I scoured the net for people with similar problems. None of what I found worked. I was getting close to giving up and doing a clean install when I came across a video of someone from a repair shop. He had all kinds of things to try mostly using the command prompt, but with one other suggestion. It was to go into the bios settings under Sata configuration. Check to see if it's set to IDE mode, or AHCI mode. which ever it was set at, change it to the other. So I did that, restarted the computer and it worked. In my excitement I forgot which mode I changed to which but it doesn't matter. I am wondering if it got changed somehow, and why that would happen. Anyway, thank you anyone who responded. I've got a few questions but I'll put them in a new post.

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,994 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2018 - 07:04 PM

Glad you got it sorted ! 

Just remember that backing up your data on a reasonably regular basis is the best protection against many computing ills. At least it reduces a catastrophe down to the level of a damned nuisance !

chris Cosgrove

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users