Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Digitizing Video Files From DVD

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dreidrag790

dreidrag790

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 AM

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:10 PM

I feel like a bit of a novice for asking, but I wanted to ask if anyone knew the best way to create or save a video file from a DVD...I recorded some movies with a DVD Recorder, but I am now trying to carry them over into computer files that can be played without a disk.

I don't know if any of this info might help, but the disks I've used for recordings are Verbatim brand DVD-R type disks, and my assorted media players include QuickTime, RealPlayer, Window Media Player, Groove, and a few others. I also have Windows Live Movie Maker, if that helps.

Apart from holding my webcam up to the television set, I'm not sure how to pull this off, so I'd appreciate anyone who could find the time to give me a hand for this topic. I'm sure I'm overcomplicating it somehow. :smash:

Thanks in advance for any helpful replies!

- dreidrag790

:alien:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:07 AM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:02 PM

I was confused by your topic title - DVD files are by definition digital !

If these are DVDs that you have recorded using a digital recorder if you put them in your computer and look at them in Windows (File) Explorer you should see the files on it as having, among others, the extension .VOB. Make sure that Explorer is set to show the file extensions, for some reason the default setting in Windows is not to show extensions.

The VOB files are the ones you want, these can just be copied to a convenient folder on your hard drive and played as and when you want. The VOB files contain both the video and audio so you can ignore the other files.

If the files are not of VOB type, post back.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 dreidrag790

dreidrag790
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 01:12 PM

OHHHHH...okay! Being more familiar and comfortable with MP4 and WMV formats, kind of the more traditional extensions for video files, I wouldn't have assumed that VOB files contained the content I'd recorded. I am not well acquainted with it right now, so I'm having to deal with some things about the VOB files that are less convenient than the formats I'm used to, but at least I figured it out now. Also, forgive the confusion about how I phrased the topic: I assumed the VOBs were data files that needed to be changed into a format suitable for playing as a video format. I may need to merge and convert the VOB files to make a complete film playable in a way that's easier to use, but at least you've answered my question.

Thanks again, Chris Cosgrove! Appreciate your help!

- dreidrag790

All invitations are open for my other threads as well!

Edited by hamluis, 14 May 2018 - 05:27 PM.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,428 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2018 - 06:10 PM

I don't know if it is a technical limit or merely one of practice and custom but I don't think I have ever seen a .VOB file bigger than typically 999MB and, I admit, I have never been too concerned about it.

There is possibly some freeware somewhere that willl allow you to merge two or more VOB files into a single MKV, MP4 or AVI file but to do this seemlessly and without losing too much quality might require something like Nero or similar - which is definitely not free. I have certainly seen MKV files bigger than 1GB

Alternatively, you could look upon this as a throwback to the early days of cinema when cinemas typically only had one projector. You had an intermission after every reel !  Indulge in an icecream or a soft drink or anything else that takes your fancy.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:07 PM

Posted 27 January 2018 - 11:05 PM

Vob files on Dvds can be played as single files as Chris stated , i use to rename the extension to .avi so players would play them.

Most players these days may have the extension .vob in ther playable formats. { I use Media Player Classic }.

Vob files are usually constructed on time and length so when recording can creat 2/3/4/5/ vob files on a disc.

They then dont have an end , it will carry over to the next vob until the last one , at end of recording.

You could once you have recorded you movie to disc , simply just rip the disc using various software to create a single file.

I use DvdFab { Paid } and easy to use  or  Avidemux Free which is a bit more comlicated   https://www.avidemux.org/admWiki/doku.php?id=tutorial:dvd_to_avi

#6 dreidrag790

dreidrag790
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 04 March 2018 - 04:09 PM

Forgive my late reply, as I've been tending to a recent family emergency.

To Chris Cosgrove and Havachat, thanks very much for your input...I will do my best to take it all in and apply it whenever I have the time. If I have any further questions, I'll come back with a reply.

- dreidrag790

#7 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 03:11 AM

No probs , we can asssist further if needed , and plenty of members will help also.

Also if you try any Dvd Ripping software ensure you read about them fully / Ratings / Free Versions / etc , to many out there that just dont work or infected.

I found this also with VLC as you have it allready , but i didnt know or have tried it , it states you can use VLC to Rip.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2696/how-to-rip-dvds-with-vlc/

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,428 posts
  •  

Posted 05 March 2018 - 01:48 PM

I too have learnt something from this discussion - I didn't know that .VOB files are .AVI files in disguise, that you can simply rename them and they still play.

I have a little utility called JFuse which is very good at joining up .AVI files. The only problem is that I have had it for years and I don't know if it is still available. But if it is, it is very easy to use, reasonably quick and - the last time I downloaded it - it was both free and clean.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,044 posts
  •  

Posted 06 March 2018 - 03:13 AM

I too have learnt something from this discussion - I didn't know that .VOB files are .AVI files in disguise, that you can simply rename them and they still play.

I have a little utility called JFuse which is very good at joining up .AVI files. The only problem is that I have had it for years and I don't know if it is still available. But if it is, it is very easy to use, reasonably quick and - the last time I downloaded it - it was both free and clean.

Chris Cosgrove

Thanks Chris:

I,ll try JFuse for joining files and see if it suits me.

With the renaming of .vob to .avi i tried it probably 10 yrs ago to see what would happen , and it worked for me anyway.

So i cant say they are actually avi files in disguise but the Player you have and Codecs loaded will at least try to open them.

I found this Page which gives some Quick Reading , but i guess there are 100s out there with an explanation to the fact.

http://www.videoforums.co.uk/threads/10169-vob-to-avi-on-the-cheap

#10 dreidrag790

dreidrag790
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 05 May 2018 - 08:26 PM

Hello again, everyone...

I had to return to this topic because my brother recently asked me to pull some videos off of a set of DVDs and upload them to a website for him. He also wants me to see if I can cut down one of the videos, editing out all but his particular segment.

I told him I'd give it a try, so I'm back onto this topic to ask if:

• A ) the .vob files can be edited in Windows Live Movie Maker, and
  • B ) the .vob files could be uploaded as they are to a website (my brother specifically named Wix.com), or must be converted to a more traditional web format such as MP4 or FLV

As before, any helpful replies would be appreciated. Thank you.

:-)

- dreidrag790

Edited by dreidrag790, 05 May 2018 - 08:27 PM.

#11 dreidrag790

dreidrag790
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 12 May 2018 - 09:25 PM

I recently made some time to tinker with my brother's DVD content the other night; left to my own devices, I found that .vob files can indeed be worked on in the Windows Live Movie Maker, but something still seemed a little off with what I tried to do. For everyone's consideration, the images below show the content found on my brother's disks. My apologies; I have no clue why I can't import the pictures directly onto the forum:

DVD #1 folder contents

DVD #2 folder contents

DVD #3 folder contents

The first disk's video content seemed to work out just fine in Windows Live Movie Maker, but as for the other two, the second disk didn't seem to carry the entire video over properly, while the third one didn't ever display anything properly in the drag-and-drop area or the preview pane. Maybe something in the above images could help to explain why, if any one of you could be so kind.

As always, I appreciate all helpful responses!

- dreidrag790

Edited by hamluis, 14 May 2018 - 05:30 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users