Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad System Conf info AND Stop Code. Help!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jono'sbook

jono'sbook

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:55 PM

Can't start computer. It was fine last time I used it a couple of days ago. It did an automatic repair. Tried to restore - No, tried reset - No. No Cd/DVD drive. I think it did an update while I wasn't using it. What could be the problem? Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:57 AM

That's pretty thin for information regarding this problem.  You mentioned a stop code, but didn't post it.  This is the type of information we need.

What is the make and model of this computer?

Can you boot into the BIOS?  There is a key which different manufacturers use to access the BIOS, with my motherboard I use the Delete key, some Dell use the F2 key, you get the idea. 

Please post the stop code.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 jono'sbook

jono'sbook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:02 PM

Here's the info and thank you!
Stop code message disappeared in an instant.
Asus TP500L
Yes I have just booted into the BIOS.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:43 PM

You need to do a Reset from Windows 10 installation media.

How to perform a Windows 10 Refresh from Installation Media

A Refresh will basically reinstall Windows 10.  This will not effect your personal files, but it will uninstall any third party programs you installed.  You will be offered a list of the programs which will be uninstalled, you can use this list as a reference to these programs.

To do a Refresh on a computer which can not boot you will need Windows 10 Installation Media.

If you don't have installation media you can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create installation media for either a disc or flash drive.  Follow the instruction for the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.

In order to use either form of installation media you need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the type of media (disc or USB flash drive) is the first device in the boot order, and the ssd/hdd the second device.

If you are using a disc place it in the tray of your optical drive, close the door and restart the computer.  When the computer recognizes the disc it will instruct you to press any button to boot from the disc.

If you are using a USB flash drive place it in a USB port and restart the computer.  You will receive the message to press any key to boot from the device.

There is a very good tutorial available, you will find it here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 jono'sbook

jono'sbook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 01:39 PM

Thanks!
I Disabled secure boot.
Not sure how to change boot order. Fast boot is Enabled. Boot Option #1? Add New Boot Option? How?
Sorry this is new to me, but I'm a fast learner.
Also, do I need to exit BIOS before turning off computer? If so, how?

#6 jono'sbook

jono'sbook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:20 PM

I finally figured out how to change boot order in my Asus. It was different because no devices were listed, so several steps were needed for this ASUS/Aptio.
I have Windows 10 on the USB. Boot options are: from UEFI:USB OR USB? Either one takes me to UPGRADE OR CUSTOM. Won't let me use upgrade. Custom will lose my files? It's Asking Where do I want install Windows? Drive, Type? I could really use your knowledge and expertise. Thanks very much!

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 08:20 AM

Not knowing what the make and model is of this computer I can't help you with precise instructions for navigating BIOS.  I can tell you that after changing the boot order you will need to press the F10 to save these changes, you should be able to press the Esc key to close the BIOS.

Please post the make and model of this computer.

The boot option should be USB.

I was out of town for the day yesterday, my apologies for the late response.

#8 jono'sbook

jono'sbook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:16 AM

Thanks for the reply! ASUS TP500L.
When I choose USB option all options of where to install are not viable. Message looks like this: Windows can't install on Drive 0, details then reveal the partition style.
When I choose UEBI:USB option then I have a highlighted option (s) in the primary type.
Also, I can't use the UPGRADE type of installation if I start computer Windows installation media. I have no way to start computer in Windows. Computer is "on" with just the ASUS screen, then blue screen. Should I use CUSTOM? Scared to use and loose files, etc.
Thanks again!

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:30 AM

The instructions  I posted in post #4 provides you with a link to the Media Creation Tool which you can use to download a ISO image to create the installation media you need.

The link below will take you to a website where you will find instructions which should help you navigate through changing the boot order.

How to boot the system from the USB disk or the CD-ROM drive? | Official Support | ASUS Global

#10 jono'sbook

jono'sbook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:40 AM

Got it.
Changed boot order in the BIOS.
Followed your instructions and created the USB Windows download.
I'm ready to install on my non functioning ASUS computer.
Only choice available to me is CUSTOM installation. Is this OK? Will I be able to keep or find files before or after installing .
Thanks.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,472 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 09:50 AM

The last sentence in post #4 has a link which will take you to a very good tutorial.  Please read through this first so you are familiar with it before attempting to follow the instructions.

#12 jono'sbook

jono'sbook
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 10:12 AM

I Read it and watched the video many times.
My computer wouldn't let me repair, restore or reset, then I followed the instructions and got to download Windows onto a USB flash drive.
Using the USB to install only gives me the Custom option. Should I take it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users