Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What jack does this webcam require?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 stebbinsd

stebbinsd

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 PM

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:59 PM

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1GK2MB6858&ignorebbr=1&cm_re=USB_Webcam-_-9SIA1GK2MB6858-_-Product

I can see that this webcam has two connectors that have to be plugged into the back of the computer: A USB port, and a 3.5mm jack.

I have a Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P motherboard. This is what the USB ports and 3.5mm jacks look like:

https://s10.postimg.org/m77qmphdl/Motherboard_USB_Ports_and_3.5mm_Jacks.png

Which of these ports would the 3.5mm jack need to go into? The black one? because I'm already using the black port for my VGA-to-HDMI adapter for my video card. In other words, if I unplug that, I won't be able to see a blasted thing on-screen! So I can't afford to put something else in that port.

Am I juts unable to use that port? Or could the webcam's 3.5mm jack potentially go into another port? Or Do I even technically need the 3.5mm jack at all?

My current build:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P
Processor: AMD FX-8350
RAM: 12GB (2x2GB+8GB)
Video Card: Geforce GTX 1050ti

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:15 PM

Check your manual. The pink jack is usually Microphone In. That is what your Webcam's 3.5mm jack is used for.

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 January 2018 - 01:17 PM.

#3 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:23 PM

But the jack on the webcam I showed you the link to is black, isn't it?

Is it a microphone jack despite being black?

My current build:

#4 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,218 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:34 PM

Yes as its certainly not a stereo jack.

It makes sense to be for the mic.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:36 PM

According you to your link the Webcam has a microphone. This is the only thing that 3.5 mm plug can be. What does the Webcam manual show? Microphone jacks aren't necessarily pink in color. In fact most if not all are black.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,989 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:27 PM

John,

I know that out there, somewhere, must be a desktop machine that doesn't have a pink microphone jack, but it's been ages since I saw one.

The plug from the device(s) may or may not be color coded, but that pink jack on the computer is certainly the microphone jack, and the pale green one the speaker jack.  [Of course, the fact that "jack" is used interchangeably these days for both the plug and the socket doesn't help, but when I read "{insert color here} jack" I go straight to the socket side, not the plug side.]

The only thing that should have a 3.5mm plug that's associated with a webcam is a microphone, and from the description shown at newegg that's the only logical option.  Why it needs that is a mystery to me.  One of the older webcams I have from Logitech has a single USB connection that handles both the video and audio from the webcam.

Edited by britechguy, 15 January 2018 - 03:28 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 stebbinsd

stebbinsd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 220 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:41 PM

What does the Webcam manual show?

What makes you think I even bought it yet?

Seriously ... what makes you think I WASN'T posting this thread before I bought it just to make sure I could use it on my system before I committed to buying it?!

My current build:

#8 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:43 PM

Unless money is tight I'd suggest spending $20 to $30 on a Logitech or Microsoft camera that handles the audio over the USB connection.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,989 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 03:59 PM

What does the Webcam manual show?

What makes you think I even bought it yet?

Seriously ... what makes you think I WASN'T posting this thread before I bought it just to make sure I could use it on my system before I committed to buying it?!

What makes you think he was talking about hard copy?   The currently available computers or peripherals that don't have the full user manuals and quick start guides downloadable are few and far between.

Although I was able to locate this item on what appears to be its manufacturer's website, https://www.tomtop.com/p-c1745b.html, it appears to be so inexpensive that this data is not included.

Based on information there I am wondering if the mic plug is actually going to be used on most systems.  I am guessing there's the rare system that won't handle both audio and video over USB, but there have got to be a few.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:34 PM

britechguy, from my search over at New Egg, it looked like all of the inexpensive, under $20, didn't handle audio over the USB connection, hence my recommendation for spending more money if possible.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,989 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:47 PM

britechguy, from my search over at New Egg, it looked like all of the inexpensive, under $20, didn't handle audio over the USB connection, hence my recommendation for spending more money if possible.

It certainly might not.  Given how cheap it is at the site I linked to I would probably be disinclined to purchase it except as a short term experiment, expecting it will break.  That being said, when it comes to electronics like this I have often found that price is no indicator of quality.  The mark-up on brand names is immense.

#12 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 890 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:18 PM

Hey guys; virtually all of the audio chips used since about 2007 are HDAudio and, if their drivers have been installed and are working properly, the HDAudio control pops up every time you plug something in for the first time and asks you what you want to use the jack for (mic, line in, line out, front speakers, etc.)  You can usually then use any jack for any purpose.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users