Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on setting up another account on my windows 10 PC

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 dsteeley

dsteeley

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 PM

Posted 15 January 2018 - 12:45 PM

Hi all, advice on setting up another account on my windows 10 PC please.  On my old XP machine, when it began to boot I was presented with a choice between my account and an account for my wife.  Once selected the user had their own desktop, email, browser choice etc.

I want to do the same on my new self-built machine.  So far I have my own account (it says local) that I access by inputting my password, (however I have set it so I no longer need to enter a password) and it opens to my desktop.  I tried adding an account for my wife using Settings > Accounts > Family and other people > Add someone to this PC.

I added my wife with the following information: 

How will this person sign in? > I don’t have this person’s sign-in information.

Let’s create your account. > Add a user without a Microsoft account.

Create an account for this PC. > Username (I entered my wife’s name) and ignored the make it secure boxes (as my wife is hopeless with passwords).

Selected next and a new local account for my wife appeared on the Family and other people page.

I see nowhere to click save.

Now when I boot up it still goes straight to my desktop and there is no choice for my wife to log-in to her own desktop.

Should I do all this again using a Microsoft account (I have one but my wife does not)?

Any advice warmly welcomed.

Thanks Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:25 PM

Six ways to switch users might be a good read.  I think requiring a password might be the easy solution.  The password doesn't have to be complex, a single letter or number will work as you're not concerned about security.

This posting may be what you're looking for.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:10 PM

if you hit the the windows button and select logoff, then it should ask for the next person to login like you or your wife. 

#4 dsteeley

dsteeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 04:05 PM

Hi and thanks for the replies.  I have managed now to set up an account for my wife, however, the problem now is that a password is required to log-in for either account , which is not what we want.  I have, as administrator, done the "netplwiz" thing but Windows still insists on a password at log-in.  It will sometimes boot straight to my account without the need to use a password, but ask for a password if my wife wants to open her account.

Bad day, will try again tomorrow.

Dave

Edited by dsteeley, 16 January 2018 - 04:06 PM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 16 January 2018 - 05:11 PM

I will be surprised, shocked, actually, if you can set up multiple Microsoft-Account linked Win10 user accounts all of which bypass password entry.

Password security has been very intentionally made more stringent.  I work with a lot of clients, many of whom have bad memories, but it is not difficult to pick a password that is hugely memorable to the individual (think first childhood pet's name, street address part of first address in childhood, etc.) that would be incredibly difficult for a random passerby to guess.  When you add in that every version of Windows since 7, at least, allows you to set up a password hint that will show up if you fail to enter the correct password three times (I think, it might be four) there are plenty of memory joggers and if a memorable password is chosen that's all it takes.

It is well worth getting used to entering a password rather than going through tons of gyrations to avoid doing so.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#6 dsteeley

dsteeley
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:05 AM

Hi britechguy, I think you are correct and I will have to have both my and my wife's accounts password protected.  I think I was hoping that I could run W10 the same way as I have run XP over many years with 2 accounts neither requiring a password.

Thank you

Dave

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,827 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:23 PM

Dave,

You're welcome.

Please do report back on how this works out as I will be curious if having passwords on both resolves your problem.  By the way, I do have instructions on bypassing the password entry in Windows 10, but it's doing just that, bypassing it by having the OS itself enter it for you.  I have done this for visually impaired clients, but never for a sighted client:

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users