Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issue with updates on the App Store for iOS 11

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MolassesMan

MolassesMan

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:30 AM

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:37 AM

I have noticed something strange over the past few weeks regarding the updates for certain apps on the app store, specifically Google Authenticator. When I check recently updated, it always says its been updated within the last few days. However, I only install updates manually, once every 2 to 3 weeks, and I have automatic updates turned off. Furthermore, the app in question hasn't been updated in the last few months, and it has no blue symbol beside the app in the time frame it claims it was updated, and the version remains the same. Is this seems to happen with a few apps. Is it a bug, or an issue with the date and time?

Any help is appreciated, thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:51 AM

From my experience it's a Date & Time bug and nothing to be worried about. You can try enabling/disabling Automatic Date & Time. In iOS11 it's Settings>Date & Time>Set Automatically. It also can't hurt to power cycle the phone too, I typically do this once a day as it helps clean out some useless cache and refresh the device.

Otherwise I'd just leave it. It's very likely caused by the new AppStore with iOS11. 

Edited by C0bra, 15 January 2018 - 09:52 AM.

nIDwkQT.gif

| IT Service Technician | A+ | Network+ | Gamer | iPhone Expert |

#3 MolassesMan

MolassesMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:22 AM

Thanks for the reply C0bra :) I just thought it was weird given that Google Authenticator says its on version 3.0.1205, yet the app store just says 3.0.0, and it said it kept getting updated. I have that disabled already actually.

#4 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 09:41 AM

Thanks for the reply C0bra :) I just thought it was weird given that Google Authenticator says its on version 3.0.1205, yet the app store just says 3.0.0, and it said it kept getting updated. I have that disabled already actually.

No problem! I also ran into a time error myself yesterday ironically enough. My wife's texts were showing as if the reply was before my text, even though it was sent after. It was of course, the automatic date & time, it seems as if it just gets out of sync from time to time and needs a refresh. That's my best guess anyways. :lmao:

If you have any more questions please feel free to ask!

nIDwkQT.gif

#5 MolassesMan

MolassesMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 09:54 AM

I actually do have one more, if you don't mind, though it is a strange one. Its about battery times. I have noticed, when I am not using my phone, as in its just locked, the battery drainage seems to vary wildly. Sometimes 1 percent lasts and hour, 2, or even more, and it seems to be random. Sometimes wifi lasts longer that 3G, sometimes its the other way around, and this is when both have the same apps running and haven't been used for sometimes several hours.

I am aware this is an.... odd question. It's just been one of those things I cannot find a pattern in. Thanks :)

#6 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 19 January 2018 - 10:03 AM

I actually do have one more, if you don't mind, though it is a strange one. Its about battery times. I have noticed, when I am not using my phone, as in its just locked, the battery drainage seems to vary wildly. Sometimes 1 percent lasts and hour, 2, or even more, and it seems to be random. Sometimes wifi lasts longer that 3G, sometimes its the other way around, and this is when both have the same apps running and haven't been used for sometimes several hours.

I am aware this is an.... odd question. It's just been one of those things I cannot find a pattern in. Thanks :)

No problem at all! 

Battery issues are an interesting one. There are so many factors that play into battery usage it makes it nearly impossible to pinpoint. Most common reason the battery drains fast without usage is poor cell reception. (Which might actually be the culprit in this case.) The phone trying to remain connected does take a toll. If it becomes more persistent instead of random you may want to look at battery replacement. Since iOS 10 I believe you can track battery usage by app in the settings. 

Settings>Battery

You can see within the last 24 hours or 7 days; which app is using how much percentage. At the bottom it also gives you a breakdown of the Standby Time and Usage Time.

Edited by C0bra, 19 January 2018 - 10:07 AM.

nIDwkQT.gif

#7 MolassesMan

MolassesMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 10:26 AM

Thanks. Yeah I have checked the battery usage. It doesn't really reveal much as, if I need to know why it has drained in the last few hours, I need something more recent than 24, and resetting it wipes all the metrics, and if I haven't used it in the time I wait it doesn't give me any new info.

#8 C0bra

C0bra

• Members
  • 176 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 12:33 PM

Thanks. Yeah I have checked the battery usage. It doesn't really reveal much as, if I need to know why it has drained in the last few hours, I need something more recent than 24, and resetting it wipes all the metrics, and if I haven't used it in the time I wait it doesn't give me any new info.

Yeah unfortunately it is very vague. There's a "Time" icon that can be enabled that shows some deeper statistics such as, "Time on screen" and "Time background". You can compare the times vs how much % it's used to get a bit of an idea but that's pretty much it.

Unfortunately again, it's difficult to gauge battery drain from poor cell reception, poor WiFi reception, etc. Those type of analytics aren't found in settings.

nIDwkQT.gif

#9 MolassesMan

MolassesMan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2018 - 05:49 AM

I wish they would include them. Thank you for your help :)

#10 daliaeurope

daliaeurope

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 16 March 2018 - 04:56 AM

IOS 11 seems to be such an annoying one, I just don't want to download updates anymore because my phone is so slow and it gets stuck. Is there gonna be a new better update any time soon?

#11 sophiajones

sophiajones

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 25 May 2018 - 06:00 AM

This is how I solved this issue.

1) Open Fortnite Battle Royale
2) Alert popped up saying - Update available
3) Click on Update, takes you to Apple store, the default will be Fortnite Battle Royale App
4) There most of you might have seen - Open button. I suffered on my iOS 11.0.2
5) Find the Update tab on the Apple Updates tab which has few buttons: Today, Games, Apps, Updates
5) Tap on Updates and Scroll the screen up, you see the updates there.

I hope this will be helpful!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users