Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sygate Settings

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 killmypc

killmypc

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:18 PM

Hey ya'll,

Installed Sygate and AVG Free this morning, and was very happy with them. But when I booted this evening, I could not access the Internet at all. I tried their troubleshooting to no avail... :thumbsup: All I got was the 'This page cannot be displayed.....(IE) and .....has timed out(Firefox). It wouldn't let Thunderbird get my messages either.

This morning, all seemed good...after installing, I started all my various malware/crapware scanners, and set to Allow, everything seemed fine.

I didn't uninstall PC-Cillin, just disabled it. Main console, and in my startup apps.

I have reverted back to PC_Cillin until I can figure this out.

If anyone has any ideas....they will be appreciated..I'll check back in the morning.

Thanks

Edited by killmypc, 28 September 2006 - 10:19 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 One Dot Com

One Dot Com

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:07 PM

Having two AV programs will give you problems. I don't know whether just disabling one will
be OK. As you said , after removing one, everything worked fine. :thumbsup:

#3 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 07:52 AM

Well, I didn't actually remove anything, until all the problems last night, I used System Restore to go back before installation of AVG / Sygate.
I don't want to uninstall PC-Cillin until I have some success with a new one. I installed AVG / Sygate on the kids PC also, and had the same problem...
I could be wrong, but it seemed to me that my problem was coming from the Firewall (probably my settings, had trouble with Zone Alarm also), since NO internet access was available. I looked thru the tut's, but didn't see one for Sygate...'kinda complicated'... :thumbsup:
I previously downloaded the trial version of Ewido, and had no problems at all...I wouldn't think that having more than one AV would be a problem, as long as only one is running...I don't know. :flowers:

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 10:36 AM

Frist. make sure that only one AV is active on the computer (for now, but having two even if one is disabled can lead to problems); having two AVs providing real time protection is not only redundant, but can cause conflicts.
The same applies to firewalls; two firewalls running at the same time can definitely lead to serious conflicts, so make sure that you have disabled any you might have except Sygate.

Sygate's permissions are best controlled at the application level, where you can grant permission for your browsers and any other programmes requiring net access at the onset.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#5 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:48 PM

Sygate's permissions are best controlled at the application level, where you can grant permission for your browsers and any other programmes requiring net access at the onset.

Regards,
John

That's one of the things that gets me...that's all I did. Just allowed my scanners (updates), M$ updates, Thunderbird, etc. Just allowing when prompted.
It worked great right after install, tested it, got all green from ShieldsUp, I went to work, and when it was booted that evening...everything was sour...I don't get it. I'll try it again.....

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,897 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:12 AM

Configuring Sygate PF for Windows XP
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#7 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 09:18 AM

Thanks quietman7,

That will be very useful...(if I get my system to boot again)... :thumbsup:
installing and uninstalling firewall, AV,.....bad news :flowers:

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,897 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:43 AM

"What to Do When XP or 2000 Won't Boot"

#9 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:50 AM

:thumbsup:
Thanks Again...still trying

#10 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 11:27 AM

I had the same problems towards the end of using my old computer(Win 98) with sygate, would go into "safe mode" uninstall sygate and I could boot up normal again. what version of sygate are you using? 5.6 is the one that kept giving me problems , the earlier ver of the 5.5's is the only one I could get to work reliably. used AVG then later AntiVir with it no problems. I seem to remember in the Sygate Forums (a couple years ago, sorry) reading that some people were have problems with 5.6 . got my newer copys of sygate from "OldVersion.com" , Can't imagine symantec is too happy about that, as they wanted it dead and burried (thats the second FW they've bought and killed) was going to look into a different FW if I wouldn't have bought this box instead.

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#11 killmypc

killmypc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 11:33 AM

no one,

I was using the last version....but......I believe the whole problem I was having was because of a floppy I had left in my pc....
embarrassing :thumbsup: :flowers:

#12 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 11:45 AM

:thumbsup: happens :flowers:

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,897 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2006 - 04:51 PM

Anyone can miss the simple or obvious from time to time. Nothing to be embarrassed about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users