Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't start without AC

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 domvolpe427

domvolpe427

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:33 PM

Good evening everyone,

Specs 

HP Envy 15 x360 PC, Model# 15-U010dx,

Product # G6T84UA#ABA. 

Windows 10 64bit. 

BIOS Version/Date F.37, 11/3/2017

The issue I am having is that whenever I pull the AC from the laptop, I lose all power and the system just shuts down completely. When I try and press the power button, nothing ends up turning on. When I do have the AC plugged in, the AC light on the right side of the computer continues to blink. The battery  says  that it's plugged in  and 49% and not charging.  

I did some looking around and I decided OK, maybe I have a faulty battery, so I ended up  buying a new battery, I opened up the laptop and replaced it. Boom! I was able to turn on the laptop without having the AC plugged in.  10 minutes later, the system shut down on me again and I was not able to turn it back on without plugging it back in again. 

I started getting BIOs checksum error and every time the AC was disconnected my BIOS would reset, so I decided to update my BIOS; the bios ended up being out of date, so I figured that would help.  Nope. The only thing that this ended up doing was whenever I pull the AC on the computer, it no longer gives me a BIOS checksum error and it doesnt reset on me anymore. 

I have  no idea what to do anymore,   It's starting to frustrate me... Am I going to have to get a new laptop, or is there something else I can do.  I heard that replacing the BIOS battery might help, but when I had the laptop open, I didn't see the battery. Maybe I missed it?

Please help. 

Thank you

Dominick Volpe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:27 AM

How did you determine what battery you needed?

The battery has to very important specifications which need to be matched, the DC Voltage, and the Amperage or Ah.  Example:  19.5VDC @ 4A  or  4Ah (Amps or Amp hours).

The voltage can vary by a few volts, but the amperage has to be at least the required amperage or higher.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 domvolpe427

domvolpe427
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:39 AM

How did you determine what battery you needed?

The battery has to very important specifications which need to be matched, the DC Voltage, and the Amperage or Ah.  Example:  19.5VDC @ 4A  or  4Ah (Amps or Amp hours).

The voltage can vary by a few volts, but the amperage has to be at least the required amperage or higher.

I just got the part # from the old battery and ordered a replacement battery online. So I know it's the exact replacement.  I also checked the replacement against the  HP website. 

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:44 AM

Look on the power adapter to see what the voltage and amperage should be and check this against what the battery indicates.

Was the replacement battery produced by the same manufacturer as the original?

I see so many topics where the wrong voltage or amperage was the cause of a new battery failing to work properly.  What you are describing sounds exactly like that is the cause.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 884 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:35 PM

is it an OEM replacement or is it a generic replacement?  generics don't have the same circuitry that the OEM batteries do.  and that could be part of your problem also.

and dc3 is correct if you got the wrong size battery, mainly larger current battery then what your power adapter can handle.

#6 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:51 PM

I love it when people don't read!

Here is the support page for your laptop:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-15-u000-x360-Convertible-PC/6944194/model/7174404?sku=G6T84UA

Right off the bat, I get popups about a battery recall and an ac adapter recall.  The ac adapter issue is a bad cord from the adapter to the wall being a fire hazard so I don't think it is a problem; but, the battery recall also tests your battery so I think you should follow those links to check.

The CMOS battery will not be causing your problem (period) so don't bother chasing that line of thought.

Did you try letting the new battery charge for at least 12 hours?  Brand new batteries can often take that long to charge.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,819 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:09 PM

Those pop-ups appear for any model HP or Compaq including my 8 year old laptop which is not affected by either recall. Not saying the OP is not part of the recall though.

#8 domvolpe427

domvolpe427
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:04 PM

I love it when people don't read!

Here is the support page for your laptop:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-ENVY-15-u000-x360-Convertible-PC/6944194/model/7174404?sku=G6T84UA

Right off the bat, I get popups about a battery recall and an ac adapter recall.  The ac adapter issue is a bad cord from the adapter to the wall being a fire hazard so I don't think it is a problem; but, the battery recall also tests your battery so I think you should follow those links to check.

The CMOS battery will not be causing your problem (period) so don't bother chasing that line of thought.

Did you try letting the new battery charge for at least 12 hours?  Brand new batteries can oten take that long to charge.

First off. Thank you very much for your useless comment. You sit there and say "you love how people don't read" clearly, you are not reading my post. I mentioned that  I ended up getting a brand new battery, and clearly, with what I wrote in my post I don't think this would have anything to do with AC adapter, so I guess that rules out your "Popups about a battery and AC adapter recall" Thank you though for contributing a stupid ass comment to this thread. 

I have let the new battery charge for over 48 hours and nothing has changed at all, Still stuck at 49%

Can you explain to me how the CMOS battery is not causing the problem ("period) and for me to "not bother chasing that line of thought" if you are going to make a statement like that, you should maybe explain why??? I figured, since whenever the AC is disconnected from laptop the laptop loses all power but whenever I connect AC power again   I get a BIOs Checksum error, you think it might be the BIOS battery. If you google the error and READ, you will see that there are many posts out there that question it being the BIOS battery. I posted on here to see if I can get help from others and if they knew something else that I didn't.  

Edited by hamluis, 20 January 2018 - 11:51 AM.
PM sent - Hamluis.

#9 domvolpe427

domvolpe427
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:06 PM

is it an OEM replacement or is it a generic replacement?  generics don't have the same circuitry that the OEM batteries do.  and that could be part of your problem also.

and dc3 is correct if you got the wrong size battery, mainly larger current battery then what your power adapter can handle.

Thank you for getting back to me. I am sorry I was not able to respond sooner. I have been away for work.  

I have an brand new OEM battery for this laptop. I removed the battery and I searched the part# that was on my current battery. I also matched up everything to my current battery when I got the new OEM battery in. 

#10 domvolpe427

domvolpe427
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 07:10 PM

Look on the power adapter to see what the voltage and amperage should be and check this against what the battery indicates.

Was the replacement battery produced by the same manufacturer as the original?

I see so many topics where the wrong voltage or amperage was the cause of a new battery failing to work properly.  What you are describing sounds exactly like that is the cause.

Thank you very much for getting back to me on this. I am sorry I was not able to respond sooner but I have been away for work the past few days.

Like I mentioned above to Mighty, the battery I bought was the correct battery for the laptop. I got the exact  match that my current battery was, so I know the voltage and amperage is correct on it.  

#11 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 08:42 AM

One.  I read all of your post and saw that you had replaced the battery with an original replacement which is why I didn't ask you about the battery being a generic.  As a note, too, there is no correlation between the battery's voltage or current rating and the AC adapter.  What is of note is that the Chinese (and others) got into the knockoff battery and ac adapter business with truly mixed results.  The quality control is so sporadic that I always precede my search with GENUINE <manufacturer's name and model> BATTERY and I have replaced several thousand in the last 42 years.

I also mentioned in my first post that I think the "battery recall" link on the support page includes a battery test which is what we need to do.

And last, the CMOS battery traditionally keeps the clock ticking when the power is out and keeps the settings like boot devices.  I guess there is the possibility that newer versions also keep the charging state; but, doing a reset to defaults would take care of that.  Hitting F10 when the HP logo first appears is what generally gets you into the BIOS.

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,802 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 09:31 AM

Actually, you have that reversed.  The battery voltage needs to be the same as what is indicated on the power adapter.  The ampacity has to meet the minimum listed amperage, but it can be higher without any problems.  Voltage has to be correct, amperage can be higher but can't be below what is listed on the power adapter.

#13 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 11:55 AM

Hey guys; almost every ac adapter for laptops now is 19.5 volts; but, almost every battery is either 11.2 or 14.4 volts.  Go and check all you want at HP, Dell, Acer, Sony, heck I don't care.

Part of this is because transistors still have a voltage drop and the charging circuit uses transistors so it can't charge the battery to the same voltage as the ac adapter.

Also, the ac adapter has to supply enough current to run the laptop with a little extra for charging.  Granted, it will charge much faster if the laptop is off, in very light use, or asleep; but, ....

There both physics things and you can't escape physics.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,325 posts
  •  

Posted 20 January 2018 - 06:10 PM

What's really bad is, HP sends you a replacement with the same darn part number on it when you have one of these affected Power Cords, ArrggArrrgggg...silly HP.

I hope this will help you out, I've never tried it so report back if it is of any help.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04700771

Unfortunately this is a big problem with HP Laptops, and others.  Really cheap components these days.  I have old laptops that the battery still works, so we are being ripped off IMO.  I must have six laptops with bad batteries, and many of my clients are in the same boat.

I wonder if this Driver would help you out also.  It does not say that it will, but I think these companies don't admit if there is an issue with there Hardware Software Compatibility and just push out fixes assuming most will install them.

"ENERGY STAR Qualified Power Plan"

Edited by pcpunk, 20 January 2018 - 06:15 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#15 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:34 AM

The HP power cord problem is the cable that runs from the wall outlet and plugs into the AC side of the charger/adapter.  They are dirt cheap on the web.

HP and Dell don't even make their own PCs these days; they farm them out to a few Chinese companies and you can't know who made it until you take it apart.

The batteries are also a computer in their own right and report to the laptop their charge state, their health, and the number of charge/discharge cycles they have undergone since they were new.  A few years ago, there was even some scuttlebutt that many of them reported an artificially inflated decay so the PC would prompt people to buy new ones.  If it is actually needed, precede your search for the battery with "GENUINE" and, even then be suspicious of knock offs; but, I can usually find the OEM battery for about 30 cents on the retail dollar.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users