Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

preparing Windows repair - but nothing happens

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:15 PM

Upon fresh startup 'logo' name appears for a few seconds and then "Preparing Windows Repair" appears with it, but then after several minutes, the screen is still the same.  Nothing else happens.  Disc pilot lamp never shines.

I tried turning off power and depressing the main power button on the computer to drain 'transient' charge, and then try a fresh computer start, but the result is same as described.  

The machine is almost 2 years old, Windows 10, Lenovo, tower-style-form, NOT a laptop. -  I can't tell other data unless find the original packing box, since I cannot startup the machine to get information from it.

I guess best hope is call in for a technician to diagnose and repair.  I have no other skill with this stuff.  Maybe the machine is done and the only remedy is "buy a new computer".  Any other comments or suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:10 AM

Saw a similar sort of thing last week (on a laptop) and after trying all sorts of things, removed the memory and just put one stick back as a test. It booted. It obviously in this case needed it as a kick start.

Not saying this will work for you, but more as a ''you will never believe what fixed it'' sort of post.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 09:47 AM

I tried turning off power and depressing the main power button on the computer to drain 'transient' charge, and then try a fresh computer start, but the result is same as described. 

It appears that you have already done a Power Cycle as Opera had suggested.

To do a Power Cycle with a desktop you need to turn off the computer and unplug the power cord from the wall receptacle, then press and hold the power button for ~20 seconds.  If you did not disconnect the cord from the wall receptacle this will not work. 

Please let us know if is the method you used.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:07 PM

It appears that you have already done a Power Cycle as Opera had suggested.

To do a Power Cycle with a desktop you need to turn off the computer and unplug the power cord from the wall receptacle, then press and hold the power button for ~20 seconds.  If you did not disconnect the cord from the wall receptacle this will not work. 

Please let us know if is the method you used.

dc3

I believe I did this which you described (yesterday).  I turned off the surge protector, essentially cutting off all power from the computer and associated equipment.  After a few minutes I depressed the power button on the computer for maybe have a minute to three-quarters of a minute.  I then just left everything this way.  After half hour, I turned ON the power switch of the surge protector, and then pressed the computer's power button to turn on the computer, and waited.

Result:; Black screen, then "Lenovo" word on black screen, and then under the "lenovo" word, the message, "Preparing windows Repair".

Arrangement is made for a technician to come to check the computer tomorrow.

#5 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:09 PM

One thing I SHOULD ask; is how long should we wait while the message on screen shows, "Preparing Windows Repair"?  Ten minutes?  Half hour?  Two hours?  Four hours?  

#6 opera

opera

• Members
  • 1,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 16 January 2018 - 12:50 AM

Another thing to do when stuck in the Repair mode is to press and hold the power button in 3 times in a row when the Repairing Windows appears. In other words, the Repair window appears, press and hold power button in until machine goes off. Then repeat this 3 times.

This will trigger the Windows repair page to appearon your screen.

Select 'Troubleshoot' and then 'Refresh PC' (this keeps docs ) whereas Reset does a clean install.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 10:08 AM

You posted that you had unplugged the UPS in order to kill all voltage to the computer.  You need to ask yourself "what does a UPS do when the line voltage drops", the obvious answer is the UPS provides the line voltage.  You need to unplug the computer from the UPS!

If you have all of your important data saved to removable media (external hdd, flash drive, DVDs, etc.) you could use Windows 10 installation media to run a Reset which will basically reinstall the operating system.  This has the option of saving you personal data, the down side is that it will uninstall any third party programs you installed.

Booting from the installation media means that your installation of Windows 10 will not be used to make repairs, the recovery options include the Startup Repair.

How to perform a Windows 10 Refresh from Installation Media

A Refresh will basically reinstall Windows 10.  This will not effect your personal files, but it will uninstall any third party programs you installed.  You will be offered a list of the programs which will be uninstalled, you can use this list as a reference to these programs.

To do a Refresh on a computer which can not boot you will need Windosw 10 Installation Media.

If you don't have installation media you can use the Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to create installation media for either a disc or flash drive.  Follow the instruction for the second option Using the tool to create installation media (USB flash drive, DVD, or ISO file) to install Windows 10 on a different PC.

In order to use either form of installation media you need to change the boot order in the BIOS so that the type of media (disc or USB flash drive) is the first device in the boot order, and the ssd/hdd the second device.

If you are using a disc place it in the tray of your optical drive, close the door and restart the computer.  When the computer recognizes the disc it will instruct you to press any button to boot from the disc.

If you are using a USB flash drive place it in a USB port and restart the computer.  You will receive the message to press any key to boot from the device.

There is a very good tutorial available, you will find it here.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,119 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:33 PM

dc3, post #7

We're lost about all of that, which is why a technician is coming over tomorrow.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users