Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

usb will not boot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mr_pickls69

mr_pickls69

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:23 PM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:29 PM

Hello, my problem is not being able to boot into my usb.   I made a bootable usb of Ultimate Boot CD and i used Rufus to put the iso onto the usb and everything is good there, but i cannot find a way to boot to that usb.  I went into the bios and changed the boot menu .   The boot menu consists of :   LS 120, Hard disk, CD ROM, ZIP, USB FDD, USB ZIP, USB CDROM, USB HDD, AND Legacy Lan.  Ive tried them all and then started the computer and it booted into the hard drive with the OS.  dont know what else to try.    Its a custom built PC,  im using a Sandisk usb stick.  i have the usb in the front of the pc, and i also put it in the back of the pc, and still computer boots to hard drive with OS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:23 PM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:49 PM

Hallo, MrPickls.

Mm. Well.... Even though you describe it as a 'custom build', it still helps to know what kinda hardware you've actually got in there.

Motherboard would be good, for starters. Also, is this a USB 2.0 stick.....or a USB 3.0 variant? SanDisks can be incredibly picky about what port they're booting from.

I have an 'elderly' Compaq desktop from the early 2000s. I have a PCI-e USB 3.0 adapter card, so's I can transfer a lot of files backwards and forwards from a 3TB USB 3.0 SeaGate Expansion desktop drive at something approaching a decent speed!

I also run a lot of 'Puppies'. (That's 'Puppy' Linux.....which was originally intended to run from a USB stick.)

If I try to boot a Puppy install from a SanDisk USB 3.0 stick, plugged into the adapter card, it'll always fail.....because the card's firmware simply doesn't 'see' boot media. However, if I plug that same stick into any machine where the USB 3.0 port is native to the motherboard, it'll boot like a dream.

Hence the query about the motherboard; gives us some idea what kinda set-up you've got there, y'see.

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#3 mr_pickls69

mr_pickls69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:36 PM

Hi mike thanks for replying. I have  a Gigabyte GA-78LMT-USB3 motherboard 

I took a snip from speccy of my computer Attached File  computer specs.JPG   49.39KB   0 downloads.

I believe that the zip drive is usb 2.0 

Thankyou for your help

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,452 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:15 PM

Some Gigabytes have issues booting from USB. I would make sure you are using a black USB 2 port and not the USB 3.

See the below link for a possible solution. Look in your manual for the boot device key, it may be F12.

http://chromasoft.blogspot.com/2010/10/solving-dreaded-gigabyte-wont-boot-from.html

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:14 AM

Hah! Good catch, John.

I had a weird feeling this was going to be a Gigabyte board; I'm pretty certain I've run across this before during my internet travels.....

And from the looks of that Google search page I'm not far out, at that.

Mike. :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 15 January 2018 - 10:15 AM.

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,039 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 PM

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:20 AM

This is a workaround, of course, but given what the OP is trying to boot, and the list he or she presented, one could burn the ISO to optical media and boot from the optical drive (CD ROM, in the list provided, which, if actually a CD ROM, is a pretty ancient piece of hardware at this juncture).

If you're lucky enough to be working on a machine that still has an optical drive it does give you another avenue when issues like this arise.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 mr_pickls69

mr_pickls69
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 10:49 AM

Thanks to all for the help, i have fixed it. i put the usb stick in a usb 2.0 slot and then went into bios looked under +HDD  and there is where the usb drive was.   I had it in the usb 3.0 slot.  

Thankyou again.  

#8 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,415 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2018 - 11:47 AM

This is a workaround, of course, but given what the OP is trying to boot, and the list he or she presented, one could burn the ISO to optical media and boot from the optical drive (CD ROM, in the list provided, which, if actually a CD ROM, is a pretty ancient piece of hardware at this juncture).

If you're lucky enough to be working on a machine that still has an optical drive it does give you another avenue when issues like this arise.

I must be extra lucky then..!

The old Compaq desktop I inherited from my sister when she moved on to Win7 from XP has not one, but two DVD +/- RW drives... Gawd knows why.

They've saved my bacon on more than one occasion.....and they even allow me to use one drive for booting the PLOP bootmanager to access a secondary, 'awkward' ISO on the other (on the odd occasions when I've needed to).

Mind you, the most-used one of the two is getting to the stage where it sometimes needs more than one attempt to eject the tray..... (OK; make that several attempts)! :lol:

Mike. :wink:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 15 January 2018 - 11:48 AM.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users