Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista Home Crashes, Reloaded from Vista Ultimate, What happens in 30 days?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Wagoneer89

Wagoneer89

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:52 PM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:16 PM

Hi,

Acer AS-5515

Original OS: Vista Home -  Product key available

Currently loaded: Vista Ultimate - Service Pack 1 - automatic upgrades off

My daughter returned her Vista Computer to me and I want to put it into service as a service visit computer in my position as an ISP installer. Vista was so compromised that when I installed AVG it marked so many files as infected that the computer became unusable.  I tried to figure out how to restore it from the backup partition but without the original manuals and disks I was lost. I finally dug up a copy of Vista Ultimate, that my son upgraded to 7 immediately after purchasing it, and in frustration performed a new install. Now that I have gotten all the drivers working and it's all up and running I realize in 29 days I am going to have a problem. What solutions are available to me? I do have the original Vista Home activation code on the bottom of the case. 

BTW: This computer has a Windows Vista usability factor of "1" so I don't think it is a candidate for 7.

Ideas?

Thanks,

Bill

Minden, NV

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 05:39 PM

if you want to stick with vista....

download a windows vista home ISO file....and create a bootable USB stick with it (this can be done for free)

then you wipe the drive....install vista home with the USB stick and use your product code that you have, this will activate windows

use a program like RUFUS to create a bootable USB stick,

keep in mind that vista is no longer supported,

if you want a supported OS then go to windows 7.....do the same as above except with a windows 7 ISO file.....but you will need to purchase a windows 7 activation key if you do this, which are very cheap these days

RUFUS

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Windows vista home ISO

http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/windows-vista-home-premium-download-iso-32-bit-64-bit/

Edited by mikey11, 14 January 2018 - 05:41 PM.

#3 mike_shupp

mike_shupp

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 18 January 2018 - 11:51 PM

Wagoneer89,  You've got two issues. 

Here's the first.  Can you get your system "authenticated" so it continues to work?  At one point -- up to last April --  you could fiddle around in the Control Panel and click on  something that connected you with an actual live human being (okay, maybe somebody in India but close enough for our purposes) or maybe some software that produced sounds almost like humans, and would be guided through entering that 25-character code.  I dunno if that's still around -- I think the real live human beings got disconnected back about last May, 30 days after Microsoft officially pulled the plug on Vista, but the software might still be there, and maybe you can find the magic place in the Control Panel that gets you there.  (I'm in Win 7 on an authenticated system at the moment, and I can't find that spot here -- I think it drops off the menu when Microsoft decides you're a Good Person.)

Anyhow, there are people hereabouts who install Vista maybe once a month on virtual machines and maybe even on real machines and they can probably guide you through process if you ask them nicely.    If worst comes to worst, there are procedures you can use, a couple of instructions in the Command Line, that will extend your authorization period and keep your Vista alive for another month, and then another month, and another month ....  I can't recite them off my head this very moment, but Google will probably get you to them.

The second issue is, How do you get updates, so your Vista operating system is a little bit more current than 2006?   And this has two answers.   The first is, Go to the MICROSOFT UPDATE CATALOG -- type that into Google and you'll go there -- and if your installation of Vista hasn't been upgraded to Service Pack 2, update your system.  After that, go back into the MUC, tell it you want updates for "Vista x64 SP2" or something like that and spend the next few hours downloading and installing stuff.  Okay, it might be a day or so.

This (sort of ) happily comes to an end at last, because Microsoft hasn't been creating a bunch of Windows Vista updates since last April.  But Microsoft  has been producing updates for something called Windows Server 2008, which is very much like Vista with some different bells and whistles, and which Microsoft promises to support until 2020,  which is three years longer than Vista got.  And it turns out that many of the software upgrades that go into Server 2008 will also go quite nicely into Vista.  There's a message thread here, with about a hundred comments in it, from people who have been doing just that.  Look for it.  Read.  Smile happily. Spread the word,

Edited by mike_shupp, 19 January 2018 - 12:00 AM.

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,535 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:06:52 AM

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:40 AM

Wagoneer89,  You've got two issues. 

Here's the first.  Can you get your system "authenticated" so it continues to work?  At one point -- up to last April --  you could fiddle around in the Control Panel and click on  something that connected you with an actual live human being (okay, maybe somebody in India but close enough for our purposes) or maybe some software that produced sounds almost like humans, and would be guided through entering that 25-character code.  I dunno if that's still around

it is still around but it will not work in this case because he has loaded a different version of vista then what was originally on the system

#5 mike_shupp

mike_shupp

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 19 January 2018 - 07:22 PM

Oops!  My bad -- I missed that.

I wonder .... Microsoft did eventually release authorization codes so people could install Windows 98 at some point after they ceased to support it.     Perhaps they'll do the same with Vista some day?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users