Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD's with large Dump files

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 foxmulder13

foxmulder13

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 AM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:13 PM

Hello everyone. I have a Dell laptop almost for 4 years and I am facing BSOD 's. They happened during a month and then everything went back to normal. But I have some very large dump files left which even using WhoCrashed or BlueScreenView didn't help me. I use computers for many years and I am an experienced user, but the error codes are out of my league.  :huh:

Please find the sysnative zip file attached. Also the Speccy snapshot link is the following:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/nDYFZFhiXEGmAxdqu3mPvKU

Thank you in advance for assisting!  :)

Albert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 AM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 03:55 PM

Sysnative reports not attached.

I'd suggest also checking over in the General Security forums for your status with the Spectre/Meltdown updates.
They can cause problems with booting and/or BSOD's - but I'm not familiar with the details on them.
Here's a link to the General Security forums:  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/45/general-security/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 foxmulder13

foxmulder13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 09:52 AM

Thank you usasma for the quick reply.

I have now attached the sysnative reports. :)

I have downloaded the January 2018 security update for Windows. I will also check the suggested forums. :)

Albert.

Attached Files

#4 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 16 January 2018 - 03:54 PM

Foe some reason I don't see any crash dumps on the Sysnative Report.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 06:03 PM

There are no memory dumps in the uploaded reports.

There are no memory dumps listed in the KernelDumpList.txt report

There are no BSOD events shown in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report

There are no events in the System logfile that show unexpected restarts.
As such, the most likely situation is that the system has a hardware fault that causes the system to shut down before Windows can recognize it.

This is unusual, as Windows has the ability to recognize restarts AFTER they happen - and assigns them EventID 41 (unexplained shutdown) - yet I see none of them in this report.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version A05) dates from 2013.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and the outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

C: drive has less than ½ of 1% (0.4%) free space.

D: drive has less than ½ of 1% (0.4%) free space.

F: driver has about 1.5% free space.

Windows likes 15% free space in order to perform stuff "behind the scenes" without adversely affecting the system's performance.  Please free up 15% on ALL hard drives (you can get away with 10% on larger drives and won't notice a large performance penalty).  Low free space can cause BSOD's - but the actual amount depends on the files being used by the system.

You only have 1.13 B of available Physical Memory (RAM).
Please get more memory if the system is able to handle it.
While waiting to upgrade the memory, please:
- only use one program at a time
- go through your startup items and stop those that aren't essential from loading with Windows

It seems to me that you are asking too much of this old system. 

It needs more RAM, more hard drive space, and a newer BIOS.

Maybe it's time to consider getting a new system?

If not, then you'll have to consider doing less with it - so as to not tax it's abilities.

Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 foxmulder13

foxmulder13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2018 - 07:56 AM

Usasma thank you again for all the information.

Unfortunately, probably to save space, Windows deleted my dump files. They were on the LiveKernel folder which only has one txt file now. I tried to restore the files with no luck.

But I have a screen capture of the WhoCrashed report with those dump files which I have attached.

Also I attached the Bluescreenview report, if it can help more.

I searched on the Dell website and found the A09 BIOS version. But should I probably backup my data before updating?

Thanks on the disc space advice, I will probably need an external drive to backup most of the data.

You only have 1.13 B of available Physical Memory (RAM).

Please get more memory if the system is able to handle it.

About the memory, how can I see how much memory it can handle?

On startup, I have disabled many programs to autostart. Only a few programs start with Windows.

Attached Files

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2018 - 05:47 PM

Live Kernel Reports aren't usually the same as memory dumps from a BSOD.
Likely they were deleted when a report was sent to Microsoft.

The error code is a STOP 0x190 (more info on that here: 

http://www.carrona.org/bsodindx.html#0x00000190

Please note that this is a relatively new error and there isn't much information available for it.  As such, the capture of the memory dumps becomes more important.

If it does happen again, please copy the memory dump to your desktop - so there's a copy available for us to look at.

Unfortunately, the WhoCrashed/BlueScreenView information only shows us that there was a crash and it blamed critical core components of Windows.

Usually these components aren't to blame - but rather they were crashed by other, 3rd party programs crashing in the memory space of the core components.

I would suggest running Driver Verifier according to these instructions:  http://www.carrona.org/verifier.html

Yes, backup your data BEFORE updating the BIOS.  Most likely it will not be needed - but if the system crashes and you can't recover, a backup may be the only thing that saves your data from being lost.

Look up the specifications of your system at the Dell support website for your model (and Service Code).

That should help in determining how much RAM your system can handle.

Edited by usasma, 18 January 2018 - 05:47 PM.

#8 foxmulder13

foxmulder13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2018 - 06:03 PM

Thank you Usasma for the answer and useful info.

I was planning to back up everything (my most important stuff is already backed up) and update the BIOS. Two days ago, i returned from a trip and the computer was turned off for about two days. I also had also the power cable disconnected. When i turned it on, it loaded Windows and reached the logon screen. When I entered my password, and pressed Enter, I had a BSOD with a large dump file of about 920 MB.

So I ran again the sysnative app and attached the report. :)

Also the Speccy snapshot is on the following link:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/kGldn0TJvUoafNj6U7hIufD.

Albert.

Attached Files

#9 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 30 January 2018 - 09:11 AM

There weren't any dump files but looking at the events they point to WDF.exe which is a virus. I would go to the Malware removal section https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/22/virus-trojan-spyware-and-malware-removal-logs/ and follow the instructions how to post.

#10 foxmulder13

foxmulder13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2018 - 04:50 PM

Thank you HyperHenry for the reply.   :)

The dump file is located again on the "C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports" folder. As Usasma wrote before, 

Live Kernel Reports aren't usually the same as memory dumps from a BSOD.

So, this may be the reason the dump file isn't on the report.

I have copied the dump file to another place on my computer, so I can take whatever steps necessary to help you identifying the problem.

Regarding the WDF..exe file I have a suspicion on what is to blame and I will take the necessary steps to remove it.   :)

I have attached both the WhoCrashed and the BlueScreenView reports.   :)

Attached Files

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2018 - 01:12 PM

Please zip up and upload the dump with your next post.

If it's too big to upload, please upload it to a free file-hosting service (such as OneDrive), ensure that it's shared, and post a link to it here.

Thanks!

FYI - the D: and E: drives still have too little free space.  Please be sure that you free up at least 10% on each of the drives.

Edited by usasma, 01 February 2018 - 01:14 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users