Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How do I burn an ISO to a CD-R disc?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Stojkovic

Stojkovic

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 PM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:33 AM

Hi everyone, I have been struggling with trying to burn an ISO image to a CD-R disc, but I actually have a few questions about backing up audio CDs in general. It would be great if you could help with one or all of them.

I recently created a playable DVD by burning an ISO image onto a blank DVD using iSkysoft DVD creator, and that worked fine when I played it in a DVD player. So I thought the quickest way to create a playable CD (without losing any sound quality) would be to burn an ISO image to a CD-R. So I tried to do this using MagicISO, following the steps in the following tutorial:

http://www.magiciso.com/tutorials/miso-burnwin.htm

I made sure I finalized the disc, but it still would not play in a CD player.

Then I tried to see if I could burn the ISO to the CD-R without any additional software (I have Windows 10), so I went to Windows File Explorer and pasted the ISO image to the CD/DVD drive. I was then told I had files waiting to be burned, but I could not see how to burn them (I’m sure I saw a “burn” option somewhere, but now I cannot find it - right clicking on the file in the CD/DVD drive didn't seem to help).

Now I used to create playable CDs from mp3s using Windows Media Player about ten years ago (I’m sure things were simpler back then!) so I tried to do this instead (except I used wav files so as to preserve the sound quality), but Windows Media Player told me it could not burn the files, presumably because one of my drivers is out of date?

So, I just have some questions on this:

1. Do you have any idea why trying to burn an ISO to a CD-R using MagicISO did not work?
  2. Is there a way to burn an ISO to a CD-R just using Windows or Windows Media Player without having to use other software?
  3. Is it still possible to burn mp3s and wavs to CD-Rs using Windows Media Player (and do you think I just need a driver update)? And if so (and this is something I wondered years ago) what is the benefit of using other software (e.g., Nero) to burn CDs?
  4. If I really do need to use other software, do you have any recommendations (preferably for free software!)?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:14 AM

I thought the quickest way to create a playable CD (without losing any sound quality) would be to burn an ISO image to a CD-R.

An ISO image of what?

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/15062/windows-burn-rip-cds

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Stojkovic

Stojkovic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 08:28 AM

An ISO image of an existing audio CD I own. I am trying to create a back-up CD of an audio CD without losing any data. I have already created the ISO image of the audio CD, but I don't know how to burn it onto a CD-R.

Thank you for the link. The steps described in the link for burning mp3s/wavs to CDs using Windows Media Player are the same steps I followed, so it is good to know it is still possible even if it didn't work for me. I don't know how to go about updating the necessary drivers though, and I'd still like to find out if there's a way to burn an ISO to a CD-R instead of burning individual wavs or mp3s.

Edited by Stojkovic, 14 January 2018 - 08:44 AM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,203 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 PM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 09:03 AM

You can't burn a CD from an ISO just by pasting it (as far as I know in Windows 10, I'm still on Windows 7), and I'm not sure why MagicISO didn't work, I don't know the software. Is it specified to work correctly in Windows 10? Nothing on the website seems to indicate so. Someone else might be familiar with its operation. There's not normally any need to update drivers for optical drives.

The basic way to copy a music CD without any third party software would be to rip the tracks to .WAV files then just burn them back onto the writable. No quality is lost this way.

Using third party burning software can make the process more straightforward. I use Ashampoo Burning Studio Free myself, although some people feel their active self-promotion through their software qualifies them as spammers. Third party burning software should make creating a CD from an ISO a simple process.

Edited by Platypus, 14 January 2018 - 09:10 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 693 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 15 January 2018 - 02:16 PM

I use imgburn for doing all my iso burning.  great program.

http://www.imgburn.com/

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:24 PM

AnyBurn is also a wonderful utility.  It's a simple matter to duplicate an audio CD with zero loss of quality, no ISO involved (at least not one that the end user creates or deals with).  In the USA, anyway, it's also entirely legal provided you own a legal copy of the audio CD and the duplicate is for personal use.  When CDs were the current format du jour I'd often create copies for each of my daily drivers so I did not have to take the original from the house.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:56 AM

re: Anyburn

I couldn't get the Cnet download button to respond; upon clicking another "download" button I was hustled off to some ad-loaded Window with nondescript headers all over the place.

I suggest this link: https://filehippo.com/download_anyburn/

Unfortunately, Cnet is notorious for this kind of thing.

Thanks to Brian for posting, I am going to try this utility!

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,495 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:28 AM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 04:43 PM

ranchhand_,

Did you go through Anyburn's website?  When I'm doing so right now I don't hit Cnet as part of the download process at all.

I always give links to the maker's websites simply because one can often, if not always, avoid the loathsome practice of bundling that's become all too common on third-party sites like Cnet.   I like Sourceforge, too.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#9 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 17 January 2018 - 10:11 PM

Hi Brian...yes, it was strange. You were correct...your link DID lead to the Anyburn download site; after that it got bushwacked. When I click on the "Download Now" button on their site, it launches me to this page where I choose the 32 or 64 bit version; when I click on the 64 bit link, it launches me here:
Link: http://download.cnet.com/AnyBurn-(64-bit)/3000-2646_4-77576867.html?part=dl-&subj=dl&tag=button

The main download button is unresponsive. If I right-click that button, no option to copy the link is given, thus it is a deliberately unlinked icon. The only other Download link is in the upper left corner, and all that does is kick me over to Cnet's garbage-ad page.

From there I enter the Cnet swamp of Ad-confusion. To verify further, Right-click the Anyburn 64 bit link in the Anyburn page, then choose "Copy Link Location". The same link appears.  I don't think it is my computer, I go to links here and there every day with no problems. Unfortunately, Cnet is notorious for this hijacking kind of thing. That is why I do not trust Cnet, or Softronic either for that matter.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#10 Stojkovic

Stojkovic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2018 - 05:06 PM

Thanks for the advice, all.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users