Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Whats It Cost?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 xtinctss

xtinctss

• Members
  • 81 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 28 September 2006 - 08:03 PM

Okay, I have fixed all of my software/hardware/user problems. When I started all this, with a REAL copy of XP Home SP2 that I bought from newegg...., I called MS and they were kind enough to re activate my OEM key. Well, it seems I have worn out my welcome with them. Hey, I have to give it to them, all but one drive and the case are new. So.....how much will it cost for a new key since I had a real version of XP in the first place? Will they make me buy it all over again? Cheapest I can find right now is $78. I'm hoping they will reactivate for like $10. Am I asking too much from the greedy?

Please let me know!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 28 September 2006 - 09:34 PM

Call Microsoft they should re-activate it for free they have for me several times, all they are looking for is a good reason from you.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 28 September 2006 - 10:55 PM

I called MS and they were kind enough to re activate my OEM key

all but one drive and the case are new.

An OEM installation is good for an installation on one and only one computer/motherboard (unless it was replaced with the exact same mb by the computer manufacturer under warranty)

An OEM license, unlike a retail license, cannot legally be transferred to another computer.

The price depends on whether you want a retail or OEM version this time.

#4 dicerR

dicerR

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:21 PM

You dont need new key.....if u still cd than i have program were it tells u whats the key =) pm me

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:28 PM

Dicer- the key number is not the issue.

The fact that it is an OEM license and has been authenticated on a different motherboard is the problem.

We appreciate your trying to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users