Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Laptop won't automatically connect to local wi-fi

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 269 posts
  • Local time:07:52 AM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 01:32 AM

I have two laptops running Win 10. One is a Dell Latitude E5470, which is about a year old. The other is a Microsoft Surface Book Pro, which is just a few months old. I also have two very old machines running Win XP. One is a Dell workstation and the other is a Dell laptop. I am in the process of moving several mission-critical apps from the old machines to the new ones.

All 4 machines are most frequently used in our home office, which is also where the wifi router is located, so the signal is strong. The two old machines work flawlessly with the local wifi network. Until recently, so did the new machines.

I had a little problem with the new machines going into airplane mode, but that has been resolved.

The Surface Book connects to the local wifi automatically whenever it is turned on. The new Dell laptop used to connect to the local wifi, but would lose the connection if it went to sleep or shut down. Then I had to manually reconnect it. Every time I did, the wifi dialog showed that the "Connect automatically" option was checked, but it did not connect automatically.

Today, I was fiddling around with it in the hopes of getting it to connect automatically. I decided to delete the local wifi connection and re-enter it. Now I cannot get it to connect at all. When I select it from the list of available networks, it asks for the "Network security key", which I assume is the password. When I enter it, I get a message saying "Cannot connect to this network". I am pretty sure that I am entering the key correctly, because I tried entering it wrong and I get a different message saying that the key is incorrect.

Can anyone suggest what I can do to get it working again and connecting automatically?

I can attach screen shots if that will help. Let me know what shots are needed.

Running Win 10 & Office 365.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,153 posts
  • Local time:08:52 AM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 10:05 AM

Try doing a System Restore.  Use a restore point dated prior to the changes you made.  If a restore point was made recently you should be able to get the computer back to the state it was in before the change you made to the wifi connection.

Windows 10 System Restore

Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the R key to open the Run box.

When the Run box opens copy and paste rstrui.exe in the Run box, then press OK.

When System Restore opens tap/click on Next.  You will need to select a restore point prior to the date your problem started.  You will see a check box in the lower left portion of the page for Show more restore points to see more restore point options.

Follow the prompts to complete the system restore.

Since this computer is so new I would guess that there aren't a great deal of third party programs installed?  If this is the case you could do a Reset.  This will reinstall the operating system, it has the option to save your personal files, but it will uninstall any third party programs you have installed.

How to perform a Reset

1. Press the Windows key OS4o0pO.png and the I key to open Settings. and the I key to open Settings.

2. Click/tap on Update & Security

Then Recovery, and Get Started.

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

Edited by dc3, 14 January 2018 - 10:07 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users