Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win7 and Firefox 57.0.3 give google cookie error, blocking gmail

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 designservice

designservice

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:53 AM

I have two gmail accounts.   Before Firefox 57.0.3, I had no troubles, everything worked, I could access them through the gmail "button" icon, or the word "gmail" up in the corner of the google page.   The new Firefox "quantum", version 57, installed itself, and once I figured out where everything was, there was no problem.  Then there was an update to 57.0.2, again, no problem.

AS SOON AS the 57.0.3 update of the new Firefox was installed, the next time I opened Firefox, the gmail button icon changed to a "sign in" box.  When I clicked the box, used my link, or clicked the "gmail", I got a notice that there were "problems with my cookie settings".    Nothing in gmail would work, and my google "search suggestions" disappeared..

ODDLY, EVERY OTHER  COOKIE in the computer seems to work fine.   The ONLY cookie problem is with google.

I have a tablet computer using 8.1, and with that computer, there was no issue, it updated, it worked, no drama.   Only the Win7 computer is a problem, but naturally it is the main one, and due to certain software, I cannot update it at present, until versions certified for 10 are released   I do have another that still uses Vista, which I have not checked.  

So the Win 7 box (a dell M6300 laptop used for 3D CAD and engineering analysis) remains a problem.

One suggested solution was clearing cookies.   So I cleared the google cookie.   That solved the problem, except that I had to log-in to each email account again.  But, until I close Firefox, it all works the way it used to work, gmail, and all other google features work.   As soon as I close firefox, that changes, and when next opened, I will have to clear the google cookie(s) again to make anything work.

The firefox forum suggested that I delete and reinstall Firefiox (typical IT style "wipe and reinstall" response). I grumbled a but  I did that, including the recommendation to run windows disk cleanup a couple times. 

That was not a solution.  The problem has persisted through re-starts.

The Firefox forum folks gave up and sent me here, thinking that it is some sort of incompatibility with Win7.   This seems unlikely, since I see no reason for such a thing to single out google to be hit.   But stranger things have happened.

I have attached a pic of the error message

Any suggestions?

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 14 January 2018 - 07:37 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Web Browsing/Email - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,017 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:52 PM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:03 AM

I have no suggestions but I also have issues with some content not working, if I open Explorer they work.  I think FF has tightened security so much that it now does not let them load.  I have not received any messages so far just the inconvenience, I absolutely do no like Explorer so now what to do!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 designservice

designservice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:27 AM

As far as I can tell, this is limited to google.  But, it is very annoying.

It seems that the cookie is good as long as it is still "open" in google, but as soon as FF closes, the cookie is "closed", and there is something wrong with how that happens in 57.0.3 and later as used with Win7.  A bad cookie might still be reported as missing, as if cookies were not allowed.   And, the cookie shows up in the FF cookie list, so it exists, and FF thinks it is a valid cookie.

So far, there seems to have been zero problem with Win8 as far as this is concerned.  But it is a sample of "one" and there are also people who state that they are using Win7 with FF 57.0.4 and have no troubles.    I do not know if they have gmail accounts, nor if they have more than one.  

I don't even know if that makes any difference, since the regular google search suggestions do not come up either.   But then, they are all accessed in the one cookie.

Edited by designservice, 14 January 2018 - 11:29 AM.

#4 designservice

designservice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2018 - 02:01 PM

This is still a problem, and it does NOT seem to have to do with the limited number of settings in Firefox.  

Remember, ONLY the google cookie seems to be an issue, the others appear to be fine.  At least they work.

It also is probably not a Firefox problem, since many folks who use Firefox and gmail report having no issues.

That does not make it a Win 7 problem, but it MAY be an interaction problem, or even a "google problem". 

All I know it seems to be "my problem", and so far, everyone points in a different direction as to what the real problem is.

Edited by designservice, 16 January 2018 - 02:02 PM.

#5 designservice

designservice
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 21 January 2018 - 05:23 PM

I now have located som MORE people with the same exact problem.  So most likely it is not just something on my machine.

Also, it is changing...  Now the first time I start Firefox, it works as it should.  But if I ever close Firefox and re-open, I get the old message that I have to enable cookies (which is already enabled).  I have then to clear the google cookie and log-in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users