Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Enabled Intel Virtualization; Now BIOS will not boot

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 TheAnt3177

TheAnt3177

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 11:33 PM

Hey all. This has never happened to me before and I'm freaking out about it just a little bit.

I have a GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H mobo rev 1.0. Intel I5-3570K processor. nVidia GTX750 TI GPU. 750 volt power supply. Windows 10 Pro x64.

So, I went into the BIOS Setup and enabled Intel Virtualization. Afterward, the PC turns on, shows the BIOS screen ... and that's it. It will not move from there. It also does not respond to any key commands.

I've tried the following:
&

I also understand there's the option to Q-FLASH a new BIOS version. However, before I even try that I wanted to ask for support here in what I should attempt next.

Any help here is very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Edited by TheAnt3177, 14 January 2018 - 12:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheAnt3177

TheAnt3177
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:20 AM

Update: The BIOS is still unresponsive after clearing the CMOS via battery removal. It will not boot past the splash screen. I cannot get it to respond to use Q-FLASH either. Is it a foregone conclusion at this point that the motherboard is unusable?

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 07:10 AM

I'm not sure about that.  The fact it's showing a splash screen is something... Not much admittedly  :rolleyes: but it's better than a black screen.  Do you have a speaker connected directly to the motherboard? If so, are there any beep codes?

Try removing and refitting the memory and any expansion cards.  Sometimes connections can degrade over time and this is a simple step that can sometimes help.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 TheAnt3177

TheAnt3177
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 11:35 AM

I went ahead and tried that as you requested. It did not change anything, unfortunately.

Edited by hamluis, 14 January 2018 - 02:06 PM.

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:04 PM

I had an issue with my own Gigabyte Dual BIOS board (a Z97X Gaming 3) which was suffering from recurring BIOS corruption, which would result in failure to POST.  This was a recurring problem that at it's worst was happening about once a month.  Each time, I was able to recover it somehow using some combination of the methods mentioned here - https://www.gigabytenordic.com/gigabyte-tips-tricks-rma/ (similar to what you've already tried).  The only difference was I "breadboarded" the system out of the case, and repeated the same things over and over again (perhaps 30-40 times) before eventually using the CLR_CMOS jumper, which I'd already done earlier, resulted in the BIOS recovery dialog and I was able to enter BIOS and save default settings.

I ended up sending that board back to Gigabyte for repair, having found it was just in warranty..  I ended up buying a different board anyway as I lost trust in it.

EDIT not sure what happened here - half of my original post was deleted by the forum. I've rewritten it from memory as best as I could...

Edited by jonuk76, 14 January 2018 - 12:10 PM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 TheAnt3177

TheAnt3177
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2018 - 12:29 PM

I want to thank you for your continued support here. Unfortunately, I'm way too nervous and do not have steady enough hands willing to physically remove the motherboard from the case. However, I did go ahead and try the CLR_CMOS option by touching a metal screwdriver against the pins for a few seconds. Still nothing. What IS happening, though, is that every time I clear the CMOS, the PC seems to turn on, quickly reboot, then turn on again to display the BIOS. 

Edited by hamluis, 14 January 2018 - 02:03 PM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,125 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:45 PM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 02:07 PM

Jonuk...there is no indication that anyone edited your post...it could be a forum software bug that occurs occasionally.  Let me know (via PM)  if it occurs again, please.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 14 January 2018 - 02:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users