Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Omg, my ISP turned my internet off for 24 hours help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Kvlove0722

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 08:12 PM

So, ive been torrenting for about 8 years now and have never had an issue before this. But, last night I left my utorrent up all night to help with my ratio on a private site I use. Of couse I also use a paid subscription of pia to protect myself. Or at least I thought I did. This morning when I woke up my internet was not working. So I called my isp and asked if the internet was down. This is when they informed me that apparently I was DDOS attacked and because of this they had to cut my internet off for a full 24 hours. Omg, I am so angry and feel super violated.

Because I don't know anything about dos or ddos attacks my question is this. Could my ISP provider just think I was being ddos attacked because I was seeding so many downloads? Like I said I was working on my ratio which is really hard to increase sometimes on this private, so I was seeding about 30 files that really needed to be seeded to help out. The other piece to this was I was using my pia vpn so how did they see anything. I am just so confused about this whole this and almost scared to torrent again once I get my internet back tomorrow.

Heck I'm affraid of this whole situation at this point. And I can't stand the fact that a service I paid a ton of money for was taken away from me and I have no idea how it happened or even why I was targeted.

On a side note I heard some where that gamers get targeted but I'm not really a gamer. I do play second live all the time, but I play to have fun and have never got into it with anyone or pissed anyone off. So not sure why I was singled out. This whole situation has me super confused. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks all.

Edited by britechguy, 14 January 2018 - 12:12 AM.
Moved to Networking

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,067 posts
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 14 January 2018 - 06:00 PM

In a DDoS attack your web location is attacked by a swarm of incoming data, not outgoing. In any case it is highly unlikely that you would have been targeted personally, probably a response by your ISP to a wider problem.

Omg, I am so angry and feel super violated.

Bit of an over-reaction here ?  One of my neighbours a few years ago had his computer hacked, presumably as part of a botnet. First thing he knew about it was his ISP sent him an email saying that with immediate effect his account was terminated for spamming. It took him a week to get this sorted out.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 Kvlove0722

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 January 2018 - 08:03 AM

Thanks Chris for the great advise.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users