Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Issues with NVIDIA following BSOD problems

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Kuroyama

Kuroyama

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 13 January 2018 - 06:11 PM

Hi all,

I must warn that I'm a technical novice at best, and I'm quite in over my head with the issues I'm having. That said, it was generally advised to seek out an actual technical support forum, as you folks know what you're doing. :) There's an email in to my manufacturer, but things being slow on the weekend...

I use a Sager gaming laptop. It ran smooth as silk until yesterday morning, around 6am. I walked away from the computer to brush my teeth, came back to find it in a BSOD->restart->BSOD cycle for no reason apparent to me. I found the Windows 8.1 system restore disk which came with the Sager packaging and used that to perform the type of reset which tries to preserve some files (it didn't preserve many). This worked to get me back to the desktop, and *most* things run normally now.

I'm having a few other issues, but I'll confront the mentioned NVIDIA issue first. The computer has been defaulting to the Intel card. IF I disable that driver and leave the NVIDIA driver enabled, it defaults to Microsoft Basic Display Driver under Display if you look at dxdiag. If you look at the Render tag, it lists the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M card, which is what should be my primary for everything.

The bigger issue seems to be that when I try to access the NVIDIA Control Panel, it states the following: "NVIDIA display settings are unavailable. You are not currently using a display attached to an NVIDIA GPU."

Now, nothing was touched, so nothing was physically disconnected. I decided to try uninstalling the driver using Display Driver Uninstaller, to make sure things were as clean as possible, and then to reinstall the driver. I selected custom and did a clean installation. The driver installed without any stated issues. Unfortunately, it still gives the same error message when I try to open the Control Panel.

Any ideas? I'd really appreciate the help. Just one of a few issues I'm trying to resolve before this thing becomes an $1800 doorstop. I've thought of trying to do a full, clean, no files preserved restore of Windows, but I'm afraid that might lead up to the last nail in the coffin. One thing at a time, though!

Do you have your external card selected in the bios?

Looking at BIOS right now, I don't even see a way to switch it, but I'm (as promised) no expert.

Only reference I see to the GPU is under the Main tab, where the NV GeForce GTX 970M is listed as the VGA Card.

This is via the Aptio Setup Utility, reached by Shift+Clicking restart and choosing Boot Logging.

Sorry, neglected to mention that boot logging was chosen from the UEFI Firmware menu.

Edited by hamluis, 15 January 2018 - 05:27 PM.
Merged posts - Hsmluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kuroyama

Kuroyama
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:22 PM

Posted 15 January 2018 - 01:04 AM

Just FYI, my issue is resolved.

A friend and I searched up an Intel driver installer from my manufacturer's website. Installing that fixed it. Somehow, while I was brushing my teeth, that driver apparently got corrupted. Not sure if an update happened in that short a time or what (I had been delaying one for a while). It shall forever be a mystery, but at least it's resolved. :)

Edited by Kuroyama, 15 January 2018 - 01:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users